Upgrade Question - Sense or Motoblur

cq

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I am going to be upgrading soon from an OG Droid and I am really hesitant because nothing on Verizon is running stock Android. I really like Moto and the Droid Bionic looks nice, but I am also considering the HTC Thunderbolt. Can everyone weigh in on which is better - Sense or Motoblur? I would rather have neither, but it looks like I will have to pick one. (HTC does seem better on upgrading Android)

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I am a fan of Sense over Blur, but the Bionic's specs (especially the processor) kick the crap out of what the Thunderbolt has to offer. Unless HTC announces a dual-core phone at MWC, I would just go with the Bionic and deal with Blur.

Most likely, the Thunderbolt will be hacked much more quickly than the Bionic, so if you are dying for stock Android and don't really care about dual-core at this point, get the Thunderbolt.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am also a personal fan of Sense over Blur. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything *wrong* with Blur, and I think a lot of the hate some people have towards it is a little unfair, I just think Sense is a little more polished than Blur (and visually attractive as well).

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i would base your phone purchase decision off of the device itself rather than the UI. you can always use a replacement launcher (like launcherpro or adw) to customize the look and feel of the phone to you liking, or even flash a custom rom to the device once they become available.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
watch out that sense dock is ugly and nonfunctional.......skip the corporate UI debate, we all have far better UI options without root...several of them!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I played with the Incredible the other day and love the Sense. I've never tried Blur but I'm starting to like the Bionic. Man, this is a hard choice for my next upgrade. I might just wait LONGER for more phones to come out.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I personally prefer stock android but if I were to decide I'd choose the bionic. Mainly because the bionic's hardware is in a completely different league than the thunderbolt. Also the version of blur on the bionic is an updated version and not the same as on other phones. We'll have to see what it's like.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What about the phone part itself? Which one has better reception, voice quality, less dropped calls, sound quality, loud enough, good with bluetooth, etc.? How has HTC vs Moto in these categories?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
What about the phone part itself? Which one has better reception, voice quality, less dropped calls, sound quality, loud enough, good with bluetooth, etc.? How has HTC vs Moto in these categories?

Hard to say exactly, but comparing both the Incredible and Droid X (HTC and Motorola flagship devices on Verizon), they both have excellent voice call quality from all accounts (although apparently the X does have a bit of a muffled sound to some people).

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say exactly, but comparing both the Incredible and Droid X (HTC and Motorola flagship devices on Verizon), they both have excellent voice call quality from all accounts (although apparently the X does have a bit of a muffled sound to some people).
I used to have Moto (V60, E815, Razr) and they really had good reception, able to pull signals in weak areas...I was hoping they carried that rep into their Droid phones. My nephew has an HTC Incredible and likes it. Both phones look great; in fact I think the HTC TB looks nicer, sexier, but the Bionic's mechanics sound better.

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I used to have Moto (V60, E815, Razr) and they really had good reception, able to pull signals in weak areas...I was hoping they carried that rep into their Droid phones. My nephew has an HTC Incredible and likes it. Both phones look great; in fact I think the HTC TB looks nicer, sexier, but the Bionic's mechanics sound better.

FYI, the Incredible under-reports signal strength if you were planning on doing any comparisons.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am also a personal fan of Sense over Blur. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything *wrong* with Blur, and I think a lot of the hate some people have towards it is a little unfair, I just think Sense is a little more polished than Blur (and visually attractive as well).
I agree with all of this.

General advice I'd give to anyone making an Android purchase: get the phone that meets your needs in the hardware department. You can always replace a launcher, mail or sms application. but if your phone doesn't meet your expectations in terms of battery life, camera, voice quality, build quality, etc.. then there isn't much the dev community or the Android Market can do to change that.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree with all of this.

General advice I'd give to anyone making an Android purchase: get the phone that meets your needs in the hardware department. You can always replace a launcher, mail or sms application. but if your phone doesn't meet your expectations in terms of battery life, camera, voice quality, build quality, etc.. then there isn't much the dev community or the Android Market can do to change that.

Awesome advice. Thats the beauty of android.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

OK my friend finally someone I have found that thinks like me so you help me and then I will give you a little scoop on Bionic but in PM. :)

OK I want to buy a device with Motoblur not sense. So this means a Samsung device like yours or HTC for sense and of course Motorola for blur.

Tell me why your preference went with sense and not blur and what was the deciding factors in this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress