Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4.4.4

Afroz Munshi

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4.4.4

Guys, I have a Droid Maxx Dev Edition and here are the steps I followed to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and root my device. I have gathered the information from many websites and wanted to put it all in one place. I would like to thank all that provided the instructions on multiple websites. Thank you!! Please correct any of my instructions if necessary or provide better and efficient ways if you know.

Also, I am on Android 4.4.4 (21.11.21.obake-maxx_Verizon.en.US and using a MAC for the whole process!

Prerequisites:
1. Download the contents from link below to your computer (Lets call the folder “Android”)
- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuc9hgknip96lqb/AABCGfjDFoK2UTqTcterP6jYa
2. Download TWRP “recovery – twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img” (Will be in the “Android” folder)
3. Download “EntitlementBypass v1.2.apk” (This is to get native tethering on Verizon BUT it requires ROOT) (Will be in the “Android” folder)
4. Download “logo.bin” (Will be in the “Android” folder)

The Unlocking:
1. Make sure you have all the required adb, fastboot files and the latest Motorola drivers on your PC or MAC “dropbox link” (My folder might work for you or maybe not. If not, SORRY)
2. Request code from Motorola (this will VOID your warranty if it’s not a Dev Edition)
3. Restart phone in “Fastboot”
- Shut down phone
- Press the “power button” & “volume down” key together for 3 secs and let go
- Next, you will see the Fastboot screen (Normal Power up, Recovery, Factory, Barcodes, BP Tools options will be shown.
- Also, you will see a line “Device is LOCKED”
4. Connect your phone to your PC/Mac
5. Open “CMD” on windows or “Terminal” on MAC
6. Type cd “and the location of the folder where you have your fastboot & adb files located”
- Eg: localhost: Android blahblah$ cd /users/blahblah/Desktop/Android (I am using a MAC)
7. Once, you are in the location of the folder, type;
- ./fastboot devices (again, I am using a MAC)
- You will see something like this “TB435608I9 fastboot” (this means you are good)
- Now type
• ./fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (the code from step 2)
8. After you finish the above step, you will see the line “Device is UNLOCKED”
- Your device been unlocked now ☺

Flashing Custom Recovery (TWRP)
1. Keep the device in fastboot mode from the step 8 above
2. Do the following in the “CMD” or “terminal” app
- ./fastboot devices (results will be same from step 7 above)
- ./fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img (the recovery will be flashed and you will read “done” on the phone)
- Scroll down to “recovery” by pressing the “volume down” button on your phone and press the “volume up” button on “recovery”
3. You will enter into TWRP Recovery
4. Press “Reboot” and select “System”
5. At this point, TWRP will ask you if you want to “Root”
6. Say “YES” if you want to Root
7. Thereafter, the Binaries will be updated
8. You have TWRP and Root

To remove the annoying “Unlocked Bootloader” warning during startup
1. Put phone into Fastboot mode (Poweroff→ vol dw + power)
2. ./fastboot devices
3. ./fastboot flash logo logo.bin (This file needs to be in the “Android” folder”
4. Your phone will say DONE
5. Reboot and no more annoying “unlocked bootloader” message

To get Native Tether (Android version 4.4.4) – This requires ROOT
1. Download the file “EntitlementBypass v1.2.apk” on your phone
2. Run the .apk and select “bypass check” and “at boot” (make sure “unknown sources” is checked in security settings
3. Now activate tethering
4. Should be all good

Last edited:

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4

Once you unlock and root, what do you do with OTA's?

Afroz Munshi

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4

Once you unlock and root, what do you do with OTA's?

As far as Unlocked is concerned, It will always stay Unlocked unless you purposely lock it. If you want to get the OTA, you need to do the following.

I have put the stock recovery in the dropbox link. Its called "recovery.img". You need to first go back to stock recovery before you can get the OTA installed without issues. Also if changed the vzentitlement file for native tether, you need to restore the stock one back for OTA to install without issues. So to get the phone on stock recovery, do the following;

Get your phone in fast boot
./fastboot devices
./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

once you get the "Done" on your phone, restart the phone and you will be able to apply the OTA. (Just make sure you have all the verizon apps that the phone came are still on your phone). I had changed the vzentitlement file and my OTA always threw an error. Once, I replaced the original one, I was able to apply the OTA.

Once the OTA has been applied, go to fastboot mode and follow this;
Flashing Custom Recovery (TWRP)
1. Keep the device in fastboot mode from the step 8 above
2. Do the following in the “CMD” or “terminal” app
- ./fastboot devices (results will be same from step 7 above)
- ./fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img (the recovery will be flashed and you will read “done” on the phone)
- Scroll down to “recovery” by pressing the “volume down” button on your phone and press the “volume up” button on “recovery”
3. You will enter into TWRP Recovery
4. Press “Reboot” and select “System”
5. At this point, TWRP will ask you if you want to “Root”
6. Say “YES” if you want to Root
7. Thereafter, the Binaries will be updated
8. You have TWRP and Root

The root should still be there after the OTA. Hope this helps...

Last edited:

dewa_demonic

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I cant' download the contents, it says

Error (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

Do you have a mirror for the contents? Or just the logo.bin... I just need that to remove the unlocked BL warning.
Thanks

Last edited:

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Download is simple if you use you common sense. Download the parts you need. Thanks to the OP!!!! After unrooting and upgrading to 4.4.4 i needed a little guidance. I also have the developers edition.

aneeshmbabu

May 7, 2014
Visit site

can some one help me how to do in windows .. I'm a noon detailed needed .. pls

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Can you side load updates without doing anything special with no problems?

Afroz Munshi

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Can you side load updates without doing anything special with no problems?

I tried to side load it and the problem I had was the same one... I had my VZWEntitlement file changed and that stopped the install from going forward. But I put the original file back, I was able to side load it and do that update.. I don't know thats what you are asking..

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I used codes I purchased online. I keep getting a failure message; password incorrect. Silly question but need to cover everything. Is there anyway that this is any problem other than having the wrong codes?

Afroz Munshi

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I used codes I purchased online. I keep getting a failure message; password incorrect. Silly question but need to cover everything. Is there anyway that this is any problem other than having the wrong codes?

Hey, I don't think that there is any problem other than the "wrong password". And personally, I have a dev edition so, I just asked Motorola for a Code.. If you don't care about warranty or if your warranty is about to end, I would just request a CODE from motorola and do all thats needed. Its your call but I am just saying :)

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

What command are you running, exactly?

Hey, I don't think that there is any problem other than the "wrong password". And personally, I have a dev edition so, I just asked Motorola for a Code.. If you don't care about warranty or if your warranty is about to end, I would just request a CODE from motorola and do all thats needed. Its your call but I am just saying :)

Unlock codes from Motorola available for Dev edition phones only

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Fastboot unlock oem and the number I purchased

jlipinski3

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Just installed this on my xt1030 (Droid Mini) running 4.4.4 on Verizon. IT WORKED!! Coming from someone who has never rooted their phone and was ready to give up after reading forum posts all over the fricking web about it. (disclaimer: I work as a web developer as my full-time job, so I'm not quite clueless on a computer...still though...)

Some feedback/advice:

-Motorola will give an unlock code to a non-dev edition device. Mine is not a dev edition. But for some reason I couldn't get the code to appear using Google Chrome. IE worked, Chrome wouldn't redirect me after I submitted my code.
-If you travel too far down the list of options after flashing, like I did, and end up in "Factory" and then the phone boots up, when you restart in fastboot you'll get the "No command" and a fallen android soldier. Re-flash the recovery and then select the "Recovery" option again.

EXCELLENT POST OP!! All I wanted root for was wifi tether (VERIZON UNLTD PLAN BABY!!) and you put everything in one place.

OscarDawg

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Could you give me a link as to where you requested your code? I have been searching google for unlock codes but all of what I find is a code to allow switching carriers. Is that the same code that unlocks the bootloader?
I still have unlimited plan too. Its not fun to use it unless I can abuse it. ;)

Computerhos

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I just need to know, if I flash this logo.bin will it prevent me from getting OTA? (if it will, I'll just ignore it) I just run a stock ROM with root, that's all I really care for ATM. Thanks!

Afroz Munshi

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

No I don't think so .. But when you want to receive the OTA, you might wanna flash the "recovery.img" just to be safe.