Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Default 4.4.2 KitKat: WiFi issues?

So they ruined WiFi, went from full bars to 1 bar?

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: KitKat WiFi - issues

Mine restored after a soft reset.

I plan on doing a factory reset, after KitKat install.
    My M has been super laggy, lately, on 4.1.2 / 98.18.94XT907.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Your WiFi? Seems to hate me. Soft reset or hard?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts

Anyone else factory reset to fix wifi

I did a wipe cache and factory reset after KitKat install.
    My WiFi seems weaker and I'm getting 3G more, where I used to get 4G.
    I don't recall being on 3G much at all, prior to KitKat.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acedl View Post
    So they ruined WiFi, went from full bars to 1 bar?

Are you simply going by bars or are you noticing a slow down?
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

My wifi acted the same as acedl for 5 days--very poor connectivity. Then yesterday it would no longer connect at all--I get connecting.....obtaining ip address......connecting.....etc., etc. All other wifi equipment in the house, (3 laptops and another razr m on jellybean) connect fine. Verizon tech said factory reset--I really didn't want to, but I did and no change. Went to Verizon store--They couldn't get it to connect to their wifi either. I didn't, but I should have asked them the model of their router. Mine is Cisco (Linksys) WRT54g. Called Verizon tech suppt again, and got transferred to a level2 guy. He had no answer other than it seems to be a known problem (among others) and hopefully Google will come up with a fix. I am left with a phone with no wifi (at least at home or the Verizon store!). I'll continue to try other wifi spots--maybe hit one with a different router that will work. Oh yeah, level 2 guy had me change from auto to 5ghz in advanced settings, but that did no good either. (my router is set to broadcast on channel 6,which is 2.437ghz).

Meanwhile battery life continues to suck, and if anything my phone is slower. One nice thing if you have to do a factory reset, most everything is synced and backed up so that as soon as you log in to your google account, it puts back most of your apps and settings--even remembered all the wireless networks including the ones I can no longer connect to!

BTW, I read that HTC's in Europe are getting a kitkat patch to "increase the number of supported routers"--maybe there's hope!

Bob

Default Re: 4.4.2 KitKat: WiFi issues?

Same here. Updated to KitKat two days ago and since then my WiFif signal is only 1 bar. Any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by RVAHokie View Post
    Same here. Updated to KitKat two days ago and since then my WiFif signal is only 1 bar. Any solutions?
    Forget WiFi connection and reconnect. That might work. Or you can do a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Forget WiFi connection and reconnect. That might work. Or you can do a reboot.

That was the first thing I tried--however I now have the problem solved, pretty much. Talked to a level2 tech at Motorola, and he told me that Kitkat was very particular about wifi security, and won't work with WEP encryption. My router's been set up with WEP for a very long time, however I decided to try changing it to WPA. Phone connected immediately. Signal strength still not showing quite as good as it showed on Jellybean, but I've had no further problems or lost connections. Now if there was a fix for the increased battery usage!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bjmh46 View Post
    That was the first thing I tried--however I now have the problem solved, pretty much. Talked to a level2 tech at Motorola, and he told me that Kitkat was very particular about wifi security, and won't work with WEP encryption. My router's been set up with WEP for a very long time, however I decided to try changing it to WPA. Phone connected immediately. Signal strength still not showing quite as good as it showed on Jellybean, but I've had no further problems or lost connections. Now if there was a fix for the increased battery usage!

Bob
    What battery problems are you having?

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

My WiFi only works if the Bluetooth is off. As soon as I turn Bluetooth on and the phone goes to sleep, I lose WiFi and it will not reconnect. I turn Bluetooth off and it reconnects.

I have same problem after firmware update, I'm wondering why they loves to do this with us when everything just works fine!
    I hate android... I'm fed up with factory reset and fixing for problems, of course reading forums,,, dammit

I'm having issues too with my S4? i'm trying to connect to 2 company wifi which using WPA & WEP security but couldn't connect at all.. It only shows "Saved Secure" but nothing happens

I am having the same issue with my Note 2 on my home network after the kitkat update. It will no longer connect to the home network unless i restart the phone every time i come home. WTF! does anyone have any suggestions? Bluetooth is off. It tells me the network is saved and refuses to connect. Yesterday I was able to force it to connect by putting it on airplane mode, connecting to wifi then taking it off airplane mode but today that isn't working either. HELP!!!!

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

After the update, my wifi connection was hit or miss. I ended up forgetting all networks under manage networks and rejoined manually. I think the backup/restore of network settings screwed up some settings. Maybe this might help. This isn't the wifi-Bluetooth issue others have.

Quote Originally Posted by acedl View Post
    Anyone else factory reset to fix wifi

You problaly have too much stuff running on your wifi

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I had the same problem with my phone not connecting to my home WiFi. After reading your message I discovered that when I turned bluetooth off, my phone would almost immediately connect to my WiFi router. If I then turn bluetooth on again both functions continue to operate and I don't have any problem until I leave and return to my home again. Not too pleased that I have to perform this dance every time I come home, but at least it's working.

meant this as a reply to tygerman's post above. Don't know why it posted this at the end of the thread
    Alan Harrylal likes this.

My s5 connected to my wifi until last night after I installed an update from Verizon. After reading several complaints in the forums about the connectivity issue, and after trying many of them that did not work for me, I saw where someone had turned off the bluetooth and connected to their wifi. I tried it, didn't have anything to lose with that right? Surprisingly it worked! While typing this I have turned the bluetooth back on and I'm still connected. I can handle turning off/on the bluetooth to save my data plan. I saw several posts about a WEP bug. My network uses WEP, it has for years now. Yeah I know, probably time for an upgrade there. But what I don't understand, if the latest firmware does not like the WEP security then why is it listed as an option? With that said, I'm still connected! I hope this can help someone else out there. Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by bjmh46 View Post

Bob
    My Wi-Fi is WPA encrypted. Worked fine after the update last night. Went out of router range this morning and when I came back, Wi-Fi refused to connect. Have reset the connection, restarted the phone etc, nothing helps. Husband has same issues after the update.

I have been avoiding the kitkat update ever since it came out. I still haven't updated my device yet last might my WiFi stopped working completely. Maybe its not just a problem with the new versions. I don't know what it is. I'm not happy about it. I just came from the tmobile store and they told me to do a hard restart, then if that doesn't work, install the update, or call tech support or consider replacing my device. No way in hell. My **** worked fine just the way it was, I don't need need Google tracking my every move or paying another 175 bucks for a replacement I don't need. If anyone knows a way around this I would appreciate the advice. Thanks you!

I have been having these WiFi problems as well since the android 4.4.4 update.
    I have searched over 50 forums and everyone has similar issues, and some of the suggested fixes seem to work for them.

I have tried EVERY fix that other users have suggested, but nothing worked for me, that is, until I saw this post about disabling Bluetooth and the WiFi instantly connects!

This only has to be done for my home wireless network, in which I am using a Linksys WRT54gs.
    I called the Motorola Support number and created a case with them. After explaining the problem, and telling him what I have tried so far, wiping cache etc...., the Motorola tech eventually said that it seems to be a compatibility problem with Android 4.4.4 and my Linksys.

Of course, this is an old router, so there are no longer any firmware updates for it.

ALL of my other wireless devices connect to my Linksys with no issues, and so did my Moto X BEFORE the 4.4.4 update.

The thing that did the trick for me, is turning off Bluetooth when I get home, the WiFi connects, and then re-enabling Bluetooth. I have to do this every time I leave the house, and then come back in.

Sometimes, I am able to connect to the WiFi, but I cannot browse the web. After disabling the Bluetooth for good, when I am at home, I am not only able to connect, but also able to browse.

This is silly, but it is a work-around for now.

So OBVIOUSLY, there is a bug in the Android 4.4.4 software that prevents WiFi from connecting until Bluetooth is disabled.

I can't WAIT to discover what they break in the next Update......*sigh*

Hi all.

Further investigation here.

The WiFi icon has three states.
    Green - on
    Grey - off
    Black - changing between on and off

The problem I had after the upgrade to 4.4.2 was that it would seemingly turn off, but actually still be on. i.e. icon was black.

After three days of testing it seems it could be a "location" problem.

Here's what I've noticed.

(By the way "smart network switch" is set to off.)

When the "location" setting was on and set to "power saving" I encountered the problem of the WiFi icon being off, but WiFi was still connected, but tapping the WiFi icon did nothing.

When the "location" was set to GPS only I did not encounter any WiFi problems.

When the "location" setting was off, I encountered no WiFi problems.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?

Quote Originally Posted by gagan_singh View Post
    Hi all.

Further investigation here.

(...)

When the "location" setting was on and set to "power saving" I encountered the problem of the WiFi icon being off, but WiFi was still connected, but tapping the WiFi icon did nothing.

When the "location" was set to GPS only I did not encounter any WiFi problems.

When the "location" setting was off, I encountered no WiFi problems.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?
    Exactly same problem. On Note 3 & on Note 10.1 2014. Both worked great at 4.3. KitKat f***ed it. Any solution?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast