4.4.2 KitKat: WiFi issues?

Anne-Mari M

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
That was the first thing I tried--however I now have the problem solved, pretty much. Talked to a level2 tech at Motorola, and he told me that Kitkat was very particular about wifi security, and won't work with WEP encryption. My router's been set up with WEP for a very long time, however I decided to try changing it to WPA. Phone connected immediately. Signal strength still not showing quite as good as it showed on Jellybean, but I've had no further problems or lost connections. Now if there was a fix for the increased battery usage!

Bob

My Wi-Fi is WPA encrypted. Worked fine after the update last night. Went out of router range this morning and when I came back, Wi-Fi refused to connect. Have reset the connection, restarted the phone etc, nothing helps. Husband has same issues after the update.

Erin Mil

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been avoiding the kitkat update ever since it came out. I still haven't updated my device yet last might my WiFi stopped working completely. Maybe its not just a problem with the new versions. I don't know what it is. I'm not happy about it. I just came from the tmobile store and they told me to do a hard restart, then if that doesn't work, install the update, or call tech support or consider replacing my device. No way in hell. My **** worked fine just the way it was, I don't need need Google tracking my every move or paying another 175 bucks for a replacement I don't need. If anyone knows a way around this I would appreciate the advice. Thanks you!

Alan Harrylal

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been having these WiFi problems as well since the android 4.4.4 update.
I have searched over 50 forums and everyone has similar issues, and some of the suggested fixes seem to work for them.

I have tried EVERY fix that other users have suggested, but nothing worked for me, that is, until I saw this post about disabling Bluetooth and the WiFi instantly connects!

This only has to be done for my home wireless network, in which I am using a Linksys WRT54gs.
I called the Motorola Support number and created a case with them. After explaining the problem, and telling him what I have tried so far, wiping cache etc...., the Motorola tech eventually said that it seems to be a compatibility problem with Android 4.4.4 and my Linksys.

Of course, this is an old router, so there are no longer any firmware updates for it.

ALL of my other wireless devices connect to my Linksys with no issues, and so did my Moto X BEFORE the 4.4.4 update.

The thing that did the trick for me, is turning off Bluetooth when I get home, the WiFi connects, and then re-enabling Bluetooth. I have to do this every time I leave the house, and then come back in.

Sometimes, I am able to connect to the WiFi, but I cannot browse the web. After disabling the Bluetooth for good, when I am at home, I am not only able to connect, but also able to browse.

This is silly, but it is a work-around for now.

So OBVIOUSLY, there is a bug in the Android 4.4.4 software that prevents WiFi from connecting until Bluetooth is disabled.

I can't WAIT to discover what they break in the next Update......*sigh*

gagan_singh

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

Further investigation here.

The WiFi icon has three states.
Green - on
Grey - off
Black - changing between on and off

The problem I had after the upgrade to 4.4.2 was that it would seemingly turn off, but actually still be on. i.e. icon was black.

After three days of testing it seems it could be a "location" problem.

Here's what I've noticed.

(By the way "smart network switch" is set to off.)

When the "location" setting was on and set to "power saving" I encountered the problem of the WiFi icon being off, but WiFi was still connected, but tapping the WiFi icon did nothing.

When the "location" was set to GPS only I did not encounter any WiFi problems.

When the "location" setting was off, I encountered no WiFi problems.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?

KMBak

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

Further investigation here.

(...)

When the "location" setting was on and set to "power saving" I encountered the problem of the WiFi icon being off, but WiFi was still connected, but tapping the WiFi icon did nothing.

When the "location" was set to GPS only I did not encounter any WiFi problems.

When the "location" setting was off, I encountered no WiFi problems.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?

Exactly same problem. On Note 3 & on Note 10.1 2014. Both worked great at 4.3. KitKat f***ed it. Any solution?

mohammed android

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
hi guys the problem is with rom files when the wifi connect to a router it get stuck it says connecting and obtainnig ip adrees so the perfect rom is the original rom for your device believe me

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I am also having problems connecting to wifi. While my friend has perfect signal on her old huawei h868c I keep going in and out of connection on even public wifi such as McDonald's ect. I did a factory reset. Still have the same problem. I cannot find any solution to this even after seemingly hours of research. Please help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe