Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgrade from Maxx to Maxx HD - My thoughts

I'm telling you guys, this battery is insane. Yesterday I took the phone if the charger at 5am, used the phone for about an hour browsing the Web and sending some messages....a few quick phone calls. I had a 100 miles bike race that took about 4.5 hours, and I was going in/out of coverage a lot. Got done, made some calls, took a bunch of pictures, used the mobile hot spot to provide a connection to my laptop for about 45 minutes, used GPS and navigation to get me to a restaurant, spent the evening browsing the Web/Facebook and chatting with some friends via text and google talk. This was all on LTE and no wifi. At 9:30 pm the battery was at 58%! My RAZR would have died while I was in my race.

I have 4 email accounts in the email app...three are IMAP and one us Exchange Corporate email. I have gmail setup, as well as Facebook syncing. I have the circle widget on the screen, and have wifi/bluetooth/GPS all on. Screen brightness set to auto. I'm in awe at the battery life.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX
    Thanked by:
    Stang68 likes this.

My quick thoughts:

I came from a Rezound. Loved the phone, beautiful display. I was tired of Verizon not supporting HTC, so time for a change.
    Tried to love the Galaxy S3. Too plasticy, the display looked cartoonish, and the amount of crap overlayed on it was obnoxious.

Bought this phone the first day.
    Love the entire feel of it! High quality, light, beautiful.
    I think the display is gorgeous. The Rezound still has the best screen. This is not far behind. I read reviews complaining about the pentile display. I don't get it. Do people study it through a magnifying glass.
    The battery is so unbelievable. I travel on planes every week. Cannot believe I won't have to carry a second battery.
    The little amount of Blur on it makes it so enjoyable!
    The sound quality through the phone is excellent. It's still a phone, so that's a big deal.

My issues with it.

The camera is complete crap. Worthless. I hope there is some update they can do to improve it. But I doubt it.
    Sometimes there is lag, swiping between screens.
    The first day I had it, it was warming to 102 degrees. I must've stopped something in the background. No problems since.

That's it. I would give it 4 stars, possibly 4.5.
    klondike1024 likes this.

I have been considering the HD but the loss of MotoCast and if I heard correctly, webtop is gone too, I've decided that the screen is not yet worth loosing those functions and my unlimited data. I'll still be following this thread for updates though. Still part of the Maxx family:-)

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

Yea Moto actually stated they were doing away with Web top. Moto cast is news to me. I rarely use Moto cast but I use it alot more than Web top. First fm radios, now Moto cast.... My next phone might be an old phone. Will still enjoy the Maxx HD when it gets delivered next week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    jtl

What was your screen on time? Mine us nothing like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    I'm telling you guys, this battery is insane. Yesterday I took the phone if the charger at 5am, used the phone for about an hour browsing the Web and sending some messages....a few quick phone calls. I had a 100 miles bike race that took about 4.5 hours, and I was going in/out of coverage a lot. Got done, made some calls, took a bunch of pictures, used the mobile hot spot to provide a connection to my laptop for about 45 minutes, used GPS and navigation to get me to a restaurant, spent the evening browsing the Web/Facebook and chatting with some friends via text and google talk. This was all on LTE and no wifi. At 9:30 pm the battery was at 58%! My RAZR would have died while I was in my race.

I have 4 email accounts in the email app...three are IMAP and one us Exchange Corporate email. I have gmail setup, as well as Facebook syncing. I have the circle widget on the screen, and have wifi/bluetooth/GPS all on. Screen brightness set to auto. I'm in awe at the battery life.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

I've had the new Maxx HD since launch day on Thursday and can't say enough positive things about it. I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus and a Droid X prior to that. The ONLY thing I miss about the G-Nex is Jelly Bean, but we should all be seeing it soon on our Razr's before the end of the year if Moto keeps their promise. I used the crap out of this phone on Friday and was beyond impressed with the battery life. I got 19 hours out of it including nearly 9 hours of screen-on time. I was LUCKY to get 2 hours of screen-on time with my G-Nex before it died. The screen looks stunning to me, and definitely brighter with colors that pop a bit more than the Nexus. I think Moto did a good job with the new stock launcher, but I still switched to Nova Prime and it works very fluidly. I find this phone to be snappier and faster in general than the Nexus. My old Blackberry bluetooth headset and Blackberry stereo gateway sync'd up immediately, as did my Wifi. I haven't used the camera much so far but it's perfectly acceptable in my opinion, at least for indoor shots with decent light. I think anyone who purchases one of these will be happy overall.
    Thanked by 4:
    ChuckG73 likes this.

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

I'm surprised the display is getting such rave reviews. I finally got some hands-on time with this phone and the first thing I noticed was the display really seemed "off." So, I took out my Droid X, put both on full brightness, and pulled up some web pages. All in all, the Maxx HD's screen is duller, dimmer, and has a yellow tint when compared to my...uh...two-year old phone.

Everything else seemed great, but that display is enough to deter me from buying the Maxx HD and wait for something else.

Has your phone gone into a random bootloop at all? Mines done it twice now, booting into safe mode has corrected the issue. I suspect it's an issue with my Nova Launcher.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

Hi guys first of all i wanna say hi to everyone

I'm new at the forum
    I upgrade from my maxx to my maxx hd since the launch day, and I'm very happy with it

There's only one thing that I just don't understand (some of you may have an answer)

On my maxx I used to have a "my music" app (i guess that's a stock app) and now on the maxx hd I cant find it, is really bad because normally when I was playing my music i was able to hit "more" and then set as ringtone
    Now from "play music" (the other stock app) on the maxx hd I don't have the same option
    REAAALLLY BAAAD

Also on the maxx I was able to set specific ringtones for each contact, I got the same feature on the maxx hd but just using the stock ringtones and I CAN'T pick from my music on my micro sd card

Am I doing something wrong
    I'm very new on this Motorola thing
    Please help me out I cant stand this situation

Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by blind11; 10-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
    I'm surprised the display is getting such rave reviews. I finally got some hands-on time with this phone and the first thing I noticed was the display really seemed "off." So, I took out my Droid X, put both on full brightness, and pulled up some web pages. All in all, the Maxx HD's screen is duller, dimmer, and has a yellow tint when compared to my...uh...two-year old phone.

Everything else seemed great, but that display is enough to deter me from buying the Maxx HD and wait for something else.
    It's understandable since you're so used to the LCD screen on the Droid X. The screen of the maxx HD is not off, you're just not used to the AMOLED screens. The RAZR HD or Maxx HD have the nicest amoleds I've personally seen. The S3 a decent 2nd but the s3 is too yellow and has a green tint. These are amoled screens. They all have a certain tinge or tint.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Global Posts
    700 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

It seems like you're saying that I'm seeing the yellow tint because I'm so used to LCD screens (which isn't true), but then you say that the yellow tint is an inherent characteristic of these types of displays (which is true).

It either has accurate color representation or it doesn't. From what I saw, this phone doesn't display colors correctly, and I'm not the only one who has noticed:

Please help on Post #34
    thanx

Last edited by blind11; 10-22-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blind11 View Post
    Please help on Post #34
    thanx

Search for music on your Google search bar. The stock APP is called Play Music.

Play music doesn't have the option to set as ringtone or at least i can't find it

And what about the contacts ringtone? Any ideas?

send from my RAZR MAXX HD

Play music doesn't have the option to set as ringtone or at least i can't find it

And what about the contacts ringtone? Any ideas?

People then Menu, Set Ringtone. Upgrade from Maxx to Maxx HD - My thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1350935924274.jpg

What im trying to say is:
    I cant set MUSIC as ringtones
    Just the stock ringtones of the phone

I can get to that option
    But how can i set MUSIC as ringtones not just the stock ringtones of the phone

I can get to that option
    But how can i set MUSIC as ringtones not just the stock ringtones of the phone

Ahhh ok sorry not seeing how to do that.

Used to be really easy on the razr maxx

Any ideas on the Maxx HD???
    please help!!

Last edited by blind11; 10-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Also on the maxx I was able to set specific ringtones for each contact, I got the same feature on the maxx hd but just using the stock ringtones and I CAN'T pick from my music on my micro sd card
    AFAIK this is an Android limitation. If you have been able to do this in the past it was due to the launcher that was put on there by the manufacturer. Since with the MAXX line Moto has really dialed back on Blur they may have removed this ability. So how do you accomplish what you want? You need to create a folder called RINGTONES on your SD card. Then move your ringtones there. Then reboot or dismount and remount the SD card and you can then set up the associations you want.

However if you want to use existing songs on your SD card you have to do a bit of work. You will need to use a ringtone creation app like Ringdroid. Use the app to create a ring tone from a specific song. Then move your created ringtone over to the RINGTONES folder you created on the SD card. Like I said its a bit of work but I prefer this method. It allows me to use only those parts of the song that I feel are pertinent to the individual that it will be associated with.

Please help on Post #34
    LOL. You have to give some time to get an answer. Getting a response in an hour is a rare thing in many instances.
    Thanked by:
    blind11 likes this.

I guess on the galaxy note there is not a problem of this kind

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrade from Maxx to Maxx HD - My thoughts-uploadfromtaptalk1350942685467.jpg  
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I guess on the galaxy note there is not a problem of this kind
    That's a function courtesy of TouchWhiz. It's a change Samsung made to Android. Let me give you another example. Moto also made a change to Blur that changes ICS. Under ICS the ringtone and the notification tone are tied together. HTC in their Sense version of ICS maintained this. I find it to be a stupid decision. Apparently Moto does too. So via Blur you can control the sounds independently. If they didn't, there are apps that enable this functionality. Oh and another way you can do what you want to do; If you use Handcent as your SMS/MMS client, when you go to select a ring tone or notification tone, it enables you to do what you want. If you don't use it maybe another application will enable that functionality. That's the beautiful thing about Android, if you need it, there is most likely an app for that (yes I just said it).
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the explanation Hes
    like I said, I'm very new at this
    I guess I gotta keep looking for some apps to help me on this
    And definitely that's one of my favorite things about androids
    There's a lot of apps to choose from

Thanks again

HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Thanks for the explanation Hes
    like I said, I'm very new at this
    I guess I gotta keep looking for some apps to help me on this
    And definitely that's one of my favorite things about androids
    There's a lot of apps to choose from

Thanks again

Look at it this way, its not necessarily the number of apps that are available, its the fact that you can customize the phone to fit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post

I had a bit of hands on time also and don't really see the big deal with the screen over my maxx(non HD). i had both on full bright and really thought there was a bit more brightness with the HD but nothing to write home about and not worth the $650 to purchase thats for sure.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast