Chromebox storage upgrade

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi guys - 1st post, hope it's in the correct section!! I have an Asus Chromebox 3 with 32gb storage and this is not sufficient. I have 4 Google accounts on it, and have a regular message indicating low space left. I have purchased this card and have downloaded a copy of Chrome OS onto two different USB sticks and an SD card following this video (note the video shows how to download the OS and how to install). The problem I have is that upon inserting the USB and SD devices the Chromebox doesn't seem to recognise them - the screen has the yellow exclamation-mark but doesn't want to load the OS! Interestingly the text is in Dutch (I'm in England). Have I purchased the wrong 256gb card, what am I doing wrong? Picture of the screen included. When I place the original 32gb card back-in everything works as before.

Any help appreciated!!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why you're trying to do a recovery of the Chromebox using a USB -- that won't get you more storage. The unfortunate reality is that 32 GB of internal storage just isn't enough any more for modern ChromeOS use, unless it's just really basic activity. You can't expand the internal storage by using SD cards or USB drives. Either limit the Chromebox to one account, or recycle it and upgrade to a more current Chromebox/Chromebook with much more storage.

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I guess you didn't see that I have purchased a larger 256gb internal card? By removing the internal 32GB storage I lose the OS, so am trying to install this on my new 256GB card... Have a look at my post again, am I trying to do something unachievable?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ohhh, sorry, I thought the 256 GB card was an SD, not an actual memory module. (I confess I didn't click the link for that card.)

I'm not sure if what you're trying to do is possible -- if it is, then it's way beyond my scope of knowledge. Let's see if anyone else has any idea ...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I also assumed an SD card and that you were referring to Adoptable Storage. Now that I see what you mean, I’m surprised that no soldering of the SSD seems to be required. What you’re doing is interesting so please tell us how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201