[Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
motorola-yeni-urun-tanitimini-gerceklestirdi.jpg

Code:
[COLOR=#b22222][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][B]OLD METHOD[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]
Yes, the Holy Grail has been discovered by [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]djrbliss[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]He has taken the time (once again) to come up with a [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]working root method[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] for the newest Motorola smartphones: DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, DROID RAZR MAXX HD, and the Atrix HD. We've heard that not only does this root method work with the shipping Ice Cream Sandwich that is on the [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=inherit]phones[/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial], but also the [/FONT][/COLOR]Jelly Bean leak[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] for the DROID RAZR M, which means it [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][I]should work[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial] on the final Jelly Bean over-the-air update for these phones.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]The method of rooting is pretty simple:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
[LIST]
[*]First make sure you have the current Motorola USB drivers installed from [URL="http://www.mymotocast.com/download/MDM?platform=windows"]here[/URL].
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]Then download the[URL="http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip"] motofail2go_windows.zip[/URL] file and extract it.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]Connect your phone to the [FONT=inherit]PC[/FONT] and click on the "run.bat" file that you extracted.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]It is important to follow the instructions in the PC program, as it will ask you to press a button combination of the Volume UP and Power at the same time.
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]If the program gives an error saying something like "run-as: Package 'com.motorola.bug2go' is unknown", then unfortunately you will have to wipe your data and cache partitions on the phone and try again (factory reset the phone).
[/LIST]

[RIGHT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#808080][FONT=Arial]source: [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#808080]XDA Forums[/COLOR][COLOR=#808080][FONT=Arial] credit: [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=32888705"]djrbliss[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=DroidSansRegular]
[SIZE=3]*Note: If for some reason that method fails to give you root once you boot back up and open a root-friendly app, try swapping out the su and Superuser.apk files with these two and then running it again.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[LIST]
[*]Download: [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?kgwoes2bie8y1sq"]su[/URL]
[*]Download: [URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?pas24dp7hh5fdyr"]Superuser.apk[/URL]
[/LIST]

Updated 11/12
NEW METHOD by sammyboy405
This will work on the RAZR HD, or RAZR HD Maxx
Steps to Root
1.You are stock with the non-JB Verizon pushed update (6MB) applied (Settings > About Phone > System update tells you your device is up to date)
2. Download the Droid Razr HD Utility from Matt via his site Batakang
3. Enable USB Debugging
4. Be Sure you have Motorola Drivers installed. (Included with the RAZR HD Utility)
5. Plug your phone in and Ensure its all Connected up.
6. Run the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility.bat
7. Follow the Instructions on screen.
8. The Hardest Part is forcing a Bug Report. By holding the Power and Up Volume key.. You will Think that it didnt work, But in fact it really did. The Vibrate that it talks about in the Menu, for me it was Delayed.
9. Once your Phone is Rooted, it will reboot.
10. Enjoy Root

Be sure download the Jellybean leak and copy it to you SD Card before you Continue.

Jellybean 9.1.39Xt926.verizon.en.us Download
CRC Download

Steps to Loading Jelly Bean

1. You are stock with the non-JB verizon pushed update (6MB) applied (Settings > About Phone > System update tells you your device is up to date)
2. You root (or are already rooted)
3. You go into the Superuser app, swipe to the left the info tab (if you don't see this, the make sure you have the latest superuser update from the app store VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you dont you wont be able to keep root)
4. Tap on the 3rd line (su binary tap to check for updates)
5. Update the binaries to the latest (This is also VERY IMPORTANT)
6. Run the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility.bat , this time Install the OTA Vodoo RootKeeper (or Install from the Play Store)
7. Open OTA Vodoo RootKeeper and Protect Root (or delete and create a new backup if you have already used the app to backup)
8. Temp unroot in OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
9. Power off the device
10. Power + volume up, then press volume up and down simultaneously when you see the android. (Or use adb to get to recovery)
11. Volume down until recovery is highlighted, then volume up to select recovery
12. Choose install update from external sd card
13. Select file to update (This takes a long time)
14. After boot, wait a while (3 or 4 mins)
15. Restore root using OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
16. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to confirm you have root
17. You may need to reboot to get root fully working. I had to reboot to get Titanium Backup to work.
18. Enjoy Jelly Bean

Hopefully this will help anyone out who needs it..

Thanks to mattlgroff For his RAZR HD Utility

Here is a Download for the Linux/OSX Version of the RAZR HD Utility. Dev-Host - LinuxMacDroid-RazrHD.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service via johnthehillbilly

Last edited by a moderator:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Guide] RAZR MAXX HD Root Method

Cyber Warrior, first Thank You for posting this. Man do I appreciate it. I plan to do this but since this will be the first attempt is there anywhere that shows screen shots or step by step directions? I don't want to brick this thing but I want to delete all the VZ junk. Many in this forum are comfortable with doing this but I haven't ever tried it. Any ideas???

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Cyber Warrior, first Thank You for posting this. Man do I appreciate it. I plan to do this but since this will be the first attempt is there anywhere that shows screen shots or step by step directions? I don't want to brick this thing but I want to delete all the VZ junk. Many in this forum are comfortable with doing this but I haven't ever tried it. Any ideas???

You're welcome... I wasn't able to find any videos showing the exact process being done but from what I hear.. it is VERY simple to use, it's basically a "one click" style program that will walk you through step by step.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

You're welcome... I wasn't able to find any videos showing the exact process being done but from what I hear.. it is VERY simple to use, it's basically a "one click" style program that will walk you through step by step.

Thank you and I will let you know how it goes.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I used the One-Click root method yesterday. Very easy to follow and takes no more than 10 minutes. Doesn't wipe your phone or anything.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Any downside to rooting at all ? (assuming its done right of course).

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Any downside to rooting at all ? (assuming its done right of course).

Love when these questions pop up lol. Honestly it will all come down to personal preference. Some will say you don't need to root and shouldn't while others like myself say if you want to get more control over your phone root it. All comes down to your needs.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Love when these questions pop up lol. Honestly it will all come down to personal preference. Some will say you don't need to root and shouldn't while others like myself say if you want to get more control over your phone root it. All comes down to your needs.

Well . . Sorry . . I guess I didn't explain myself in enough detail so my fault . .:/

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Well . . Sorry . . I guess I didn't explain myself in enough detail so my fault . .:/

Nothing wrong with the question lol. It usually sparks and argument between root vs. anti-root members and sometime it gets... "heated". You have all the right to ask if you are new to this stuff, it can be confusing. Basically root will give you greater access to your phone. With root access its almost like having Administrator access to your device, while having an unrooted device would be a Guest account. As a Guest you can still do all the basic functions to use the phone as your normally would, but you are restricted to things that would tamper with the inner workings of the phone. With root access you can do things like access root storage, tweak kernel settings (not flash kernels just tweak settings), block advertisements, back up apps and much much more. These are very basic explanations to help you understand some of the things you can do with root access.

If you have any further questions don't be afraid to ask.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Cyber- I was hoping you would post about rooting the hd. You were my guru in rooting the Tbolt. Trust is everything.
I am going to wait a while to see if any custom roms become available along with a well tested custom recovery.

Thanks so much for helping us out!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Thank you creccaj1 . . What I didn't take the time to explain is that I have read alot about what I can do with rooting, but I've never heard anything about the downside. I basically would like to root to get rid of the bloatware and other basic stuff, but I had heard somewhere something like if I root and an update comes along it can really screw things up. So what I was doing, without explanation, was saying 'I think I had done my homework but wanted to check to see if their was a downside I didn't know about that I'd regret later'. I like the idea of tinkering, but when I hear talk about stability issues, etc, it gives me pause; so I was just trying to be careful to not get in over my head.
Holy cow, that was a rambler, guess its late :/

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Thank you creccaj1 . . What I didn't take the time to explain is that I have read alot about what I can do with rooting, but I've never heard anything about the downside. I basically would like to root to get rid of the bloatware and other basic stuff, but I had heard somewhere something like if I root and an update comes along it can really screw things up. So what I was doing, without explanation, was saying 'I think I had done my homework but wanted to check to see if their was a downside I didn't know about that I'd regret later'. I like the idea of tinkering, but when I hear talk about stability issues, etc, it gives me pause; so I was just trying to be careful to not get in over my head.
Holy cow, that was a rambler, guess its late :/

If you root your phone and don't do anything else with it, you can still get OTA's and update you phone and should be okay. You may loose your root access but thats easy enough to get back. Once Jelly Bean update comes through on this phone which hopefully will be before 2013 when Moto says it will (not holding my breath) shouldn't be an issue.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so maybe what I heard was in reference to phones that were rooted then modded with a custom rom.

Is a rooted phone any more susceptible/vulnerable to a virus/malware attack because its "opened up"?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Random OTA came through this morning (not Jelly Bean) and when it was done updating it did break root access. As far as I can tell now too this root method does not work properly and will keep you unrooted.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

So it's what others suspected, its a "security patch" to disable root?

MrHug3

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site

I took the update. I had Ota Rootkeeper installed. Root was kept.. First time I've heard of an update for ONE small patch though.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I have both the RAZR HD and maxx HD and the maxx was rooted ran update and I believe I still have root because I still have super user.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs