Kindle fire HD 10 bricked

raskol70

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
My Kindle Fire HD 10, purchased in 2020, recently bricked. The first thing that happened was that the built in US keyboard wouldn't pop up. Switching it to a Japanese keyboard (with English characters) fixed it for a bit. Then, the next day, I got the dreaded amazon logo of death; no loading beyond that. A hard factory reset worked once, but the next day it was bricked again, and the reset failed, just showing a string of errors when I tried. The device has no problems holding a charge, and I hadn't done anything "exotic" with the tablet, meaning I didn't root it nor side load anything at all.

I read some info about at least getting it rooted to stock android, if I can't get it to boot, but a big issue stands in my way. I've read that in order to do that, I would have had to tap my serial number 8 times and then allow debugging in the following options. I can't do that now since it won't boot at all (stuck amazon logo, and the options when powering on + volume up do nothing on their own). I downloaded firebox toolkit and firefirefire, but the first doesn't work without having enabled the debugging mode (and it can't see the tablet), and I can't figure out what to do with the firefirefire bin file. I can get into the bootloader mode with the power+vol thing, but that's just a blank screen. I also tried to download some really old recovery tool from ~2014, but it get's tagged by windows as containing viruses.

Any hope that I can do anything with this brick? I can't even find an online service to unbrick it. I could turn it in for $15 + 20% off a new one, but I'm cheap, and frankly, I'd be fine if I could just turn it into a straight android tablet.
Not sure if I should post it here or in a xda forum, or someplace else, but I haven't rooted anything since purchasing my cheap HP pad, years, and years ago.

Thanks in advance.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My Kindle Fire HD 10, purchased in 2020, recently bricked. The first thing that happened was that the built in US keyboard wouldn't pop up. Switching it to a Japanese keyboard (with English characters) fixed it for a bit. Then, the next day, I got the dreaded amazon logo of death; no loading beyond that. A hard factory reset worked once, but the next day it was bricked again, and the reset failed, just showing a string of errors when I tried. The device has no problems holding a charge, and I hadn't done anything "exotic" with the tablet, meaning I didn't root it nor side load anything at all.

I read some info about at least getting it rooted to stock android, if I can't get it to boot, but a big issue stands in my way. I've read that in order to do that, I would have had to tap my serial number 8 times and then allow debugging in the following options. I can't do that now since it won't boot at all (stuck amazon logo, and the options when powering on + volume up do nothing on their own). I downloaded firebox toolkit and firefirefire, but the first doesn't work without having enabled the debugging mode (and it can't see the tablet), and I can't figure out what to do with the firefirefire bin file. I can get into the bootloader mode with the power+vol thing, but that's just a blank screen. I also tried to download some really old recovery tool from ~2014, but it get's tagged by windows as containing viruses.

Any hope that I can do anything with this brick? I can't even find an online service to unbrick it. I could turn it in for $15 + 20% off a new one, but I'm cheap, and frankly, I'd be fine if I could just turn it into a straight android tablet.
Not sure if I should post it here or in a xda forum, or someplace else, but I haven't rooted anything since purchasing my cheap HP pad, years, and years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, no one has been able to root any Fire tablet past the 2018 HD8s.

And even the 2018 model required popping off the back, shorting a couple of specific chip solder contact points, and loading commands over USB connected to a PC running Linux. There never was a solution that could work on Windows.

All the old firefirefire stuff was for the very old tablets. I used that to root my 1st Gen Fire tablet (back when they were still called "Kindle Fire Tablets") several years ago. But that does nothing for the more recent Fire tablets.

And, yes, with no way to get the thing started to even enable USB debugging, all the adb commands sent to it will do nothing... because there's nothing there to receive it.

You can try the XDA Developers forum. I've been there for my tablets. Maybe they will have some ideas to try to wake it up.

But I fear it's just dead.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

raskol70

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no one has been able to root any Fire tablet past the 2018 HD8s.

And even the 2018 model required popping off the back, shorting a couple of specific chip solder contact points, and loading commands over USB connected to a PC running Linux. There never was a solution that could work on Windows.

All the old firefirefire stuff was for the very old tablets. I used that to root my 1st Gen Fire tablet (back when they were still called "Kindle Fire Tablets") several years ago. But that does nothing for the more recent Fire tablets.

And, yes, with no way to get the thing started to even enable USB debugging, all the adb commands sent to it will do nothing... because there's nothing there to receive it.

You can try the XDA Developers forum. I've been there for my tablets. Maybe they will have some ideas to try to wake it up.

But I fear it's just dead.
I feared as much . . . Appreciate your feedback!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter