HD MAXX vs Samsung S3: usable screen

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering (but just considering at this point) replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Motorola Razr MAXX HD, primarily because the battery life on the S3 is beyond pathetic.

When I was in the Verizon store taking a look at it I saw that, unlike the S3, the Android "buttons" (home, back, menu) on the Razr are part of the actual display area (whereas on the S3 the home button is physical and the back and menu buttons are capacitive touch buttons in the bezel and not part of the display).

This made the screen area on the Razr look noticeably smaller that the S3. Am I imaging this, or is this just a reality of the button placement?

Thanks.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering (but just considering at this point) replacing my Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Motorola Razr MAXX HD, primarily because the battery life on the S3 is beyond pathetic.

When I was in the Verizon store taking a look at it I saw that, unlike the S3, the Android "buttons" (home, back, menu) on the Razr are part of the actual display area (whereas on the S3 the home button is physical and the back and menu buttons are capacitive touch buttons in the bezel and not part of the display).

This made the screen area on the Razr look noticeably smaller that the S3. Am I imaging this, or is this just a reality of the button placement?

Thanks.

Yes, the capacitive touch buttons are a part of the screen real estate. However, most apps that use the screen for video purposes, i.e. YouTube, most games, and others 'take over' that part of the screen so you end up using the entire screen.

One of the (many) things that I didn't like about the S3 was the physical home key. I'm happy with touch buttons on the RMHD.

Argelius1

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I like the S3 (my first Android after years of iPhones). My only complaints are the battery life (horrible) and that the power and volume buttons are too easily triggered.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You're not imagining it. It just doesn't matter, though. If you want massive screen real estate that's actually usable, you'd get a Note 2.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, for most apps you have less screen space. On the other hand, though, the on-screen navbar is functionally better. For one thing, you can swipe up from Home for Google Now. They are also easier to reach, and I think they are less prone to accidental presses. And they are mod-able in theory, while hardware buttons obviously aren't. I thought they were a drawback at first, but now I like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez