not impressed with maxx battery life - normal for me?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i know that battery life depends on usage but after a few days of owning the phone i have not been impressed.

example of average use - 12 hours of heavy use (internet browsing, viber active, AIM active, e-mails being pushed, one hour phone call, texting, wifi on 50% of the time, etc..) and my battery is already at 15%.

i know that i can change my setting for the emails to be received, not use wifi as much, not have viber running in the background all day, etc.. but i expected something much more significant than 12 hours.

i don't watch videos or play games at all.

sometimes i make 30 minute viber calls so i am sure that drains the battery somewhat but based on my usage i don't think 12 hours is a lot for this phone, do you?

thanks

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd challenge you to try the same usage on a phone like the GS3 or the DNA...I'd be interested to see the results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What is your screen on time?

This is the most important factor. Next is screen brightness setting. So what is your screen on time and what is your brightness set to?

I've gotten over 7 hours of screen on time out of this battery at about 45% brightness. I bet I could have pushed it to 8.5 hours but it was bed time.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I usually get 16-20 hours until the battery is in the red with 8.5+ hours of screen on time. I think this is phenomenal. Again, the 32 hours they advertise is with moderate use. I've gotten more than that when I average between 2-4 hours of screen on time. I've been using the phone much more since I first got it because I can. I don't know of any phone that can compete with that kind of longevity outside of one that a bulky extended battery.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have no issues with battery at all I'm a heavy user and my phone will go 12 hrs easily on 4g and have hotspot on streaming movies on my iPad

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365289928018.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365289928018.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 78

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
my previous phone was an HTC incredible 2. the new razr HD maxx is significantly better.

i have always judged battery life from the time it is charged 100% to the time when you need to re-charge it, never thought or looked into screen time.

with that said, my screen time is:

battery: 13 hrs, 37 min
time on: 5 hrs, 27 min

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
What battery percentage do you have left with those stats and what is your brightness? Also, what other apps are using a high % of battery?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
What battery percentage do you have left with those stats and what is your brightness? Also, what other apps are using a high % of battery?

battery was 10% and the brightness was 60% i believe.

regarding the other apps with a high %, how do i determine which ones those are?

i believe just skype.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Under Settings > Battery. It sounds to me like you have a bad unit. Either that or you have a TON of background apps just killing it. I'm a heavy user, email, texting, calls, facebook, web, games and I typically have a good 30% after a heavy day. On a light day, like today, I'm still in the 70s and I keep wifi and Bluetooth on all the time even if they are not being used.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
more stats, is this acceptable:

7%
18hrs, 45min
5 hours 15 min screen time
56% brightness

Sounds like something is keeping your screen awake. I'm at 16h 24m 20s and 76% battery left. And that's with several hours of streaming music and XM and 3 email accounts syncing etc.

Try running in safe mode and see if your numbers improve.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like something is keeping your screen awake. I'm at 16h 24m 20s and 76% battery left. And that's with several hours of streaming music and XM and 3 email accounts syncing etc.

Try running in safe mode and see if your numbers improve.

what is your screen time though?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
ok, last time i will post my stats.

maybe i am just a very heavy user.

15% left
9 hrs, 50 min.
brightness: 41%
screen time on: 5 hrs, 1 min.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Here are mine from today:
61% battery remaining
12h 1m on battery
50% screen brightness
Screen on time 2h 21m
About half the day spent on WiFi.

My 2hrs of screen on time amounts to about 20% of battery usage. You are for sure a heavy user but there is much more to it than screen on time. You realize you would have had to charge by now with any other phone right?

That's something else worth noting. How much of your time are you on WiFi, LTE, etc?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here are mine from today:
61% battery remaining
12h 1m on battery
50% screen brightness
Screen on time 2h 21m
About half the day spent on WiFi.

My 2hrs of screen on time amounts to about 20% of battery usage. You are for sure a heavy user but there is much more to it than screen on time. You realize you would have had to charge by now with any other phone right?

That's something else worth noting. How much of your time are you on WiFi, LTE, etc?

now i know i am a heavy user.

i didn't realize that until i started looking into more of the detailed numbers on here.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine today:

54% battery left
13 hours 36 minutes on battery
2 hours 38 minutes on screen (58%)
Brightness at about 40/45%
About half the day on wifi. A few hours out in the wilderness, I turned off wifi and mobile network during that time.

Here's a pic to get an idea
35m4n00.jpg

Yet, I still feel like I got better battery life before the last update, 4.1.2. I'm kinda disappointed.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
your numbers don't seem out of line too much. 2 things I did which improved my battery life were: settings -> More... ->Mobile Networks -> Network Mode -> check LTE/CDMA from the default Global. Also, in the Maps app, go to the settings -> location settings and uncheck "Report from this device"

FWIW, here were my most recent numbers: 23h46m on, 4h54m screen on, auto bright, 24% battery remaining. I also played about 4hrs of locally stored audio over that period, and made 30 minutes of phone calls. 50/50 wifi and mobile over the period.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't need email pushed or anything like that, so I set up a smart action to disable background data when my screen is off.

As of now, on WiFi all day, I have 51% for 8 hours off of the charger. More importantly, I have 3 hours 56 minutes of screen time. WiFi or not, that's awesome for me.

I'm wondering if I have a rogue app, or if my 4g is just wonky since the 4.1.2 update. Whatever, I'll just use the smart action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38