(SOLVED) Battery drain Pixel 7a

tooltool

Oct 31, 2023
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Battery was not calibrated anymore. Thanks to a Reddit post I've found, I've tried to use the phone until battery reached 1%, than I waited until the phone turned off.

Now my battery lasts nearly two days, with 4.5-5 hours of screen on time. So it's good.

Original post:

Hi everyone! Unfortunately I'm experiencing bad battery life with my Pixel 7A. The strange thing is that, when I bought it in June, battery was ok: 4,5 hours of screen on time.

I don't know why now I only reach 3 hours or less. I even tried to reset it after upgrading to Android 14 but nothing changed. I don't understand!

Here are some screenshots of today's battery usage (Italian language). Thanks a lot for your help!!

Screenshot_20231031-185011.png

Screenshot_20231031-181515.png

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mobile Network seems to be using a lot of battery, which can happen if the signal is poor. What's your cell signal typically like?

tooltool

Oct 31, 2023
Visit site
I work in a city so it's usually pretty good, except when I travel from home to work and viceversa, by train (1 hour travel). I have WIFI at home.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the signal still pretty good inside your office? It's not uncommon for cell signal to be poor inside office buildings or similar workplaces -- for the longest time, it was terrible in the hospital where I work.

Also, using wi-fi won't necessarily prevent battery drain from the cell radio if the cell signal is poor. Again, this kind of thing used to happen to me at work, to the point that I'd sometimes have to turn on Airplane Mode to shut off the cell radio, and then rely on wi-fi calling. Can you see what your cell signal is like at home?

Reactions: mustang7757

tooltool

Oct 31, 2023
Visit site
Yeah in these days I checked the signal phone and unfortunately is not that good in my office nor in my house.
At the same time I have to say that with my old phone (Huawei Nova 5t) in the same conditions the battery lasted two days, and it was a smaller battery.
I still think the battery consumption of the Pixel 7a is not good...and not normal in my opinion.

Can I try to do something to improve the battery life?
Thank you very much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If feasible, you could try running the phone in Safe Mode for the better part of the day to see if the battery still drains quickly. If it doesn't, that would suggest that some app you installed is causing problems.

Another approach might be to temporarily uninstall Whatsapp, since using 23% of battery with only 21 minutes of use seems unusual.

Reactions: J Dubbs and rvbfan

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
If feasible, you could try running the phone in Safe Mode for the better part of the day to see if the battery still drains quickly. If it doesn't, that would suggest that some app you installed is causing problems.

Another approach might be to temporarily uninstall Whatsapp, since using 23% of battery with only 21 minutes of use seems unusual.
I agree. WhatsApp is notorious for poor coding.

tooltool

Oct 31, 2023
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Battery was not calibrated anymore. Thanks to a Reddit post I've found, I've tried to use the phone until battery reached 1%, than I waited until the phone turned off.

Now my battery lasts nearly two days, with 4.5-5 hours of screen on time. So it's good.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Nice

Reactions: tooltool