Unlocking phone for Euro SIM card

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm heading to Italy in June and am trying to figure out an international data plan as Verizon's are crazy expensive. I see you can get SIM cards from Vodafone or TIM at very reasonable rates - ~5 euro/500MB.

It says the phone has to be unlocked to be able to use their SIM cards. How do I go about unlocking my phone? Has anyone done this whole process? Is it easy?

Thanks

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just found this post. Makes it sound not too hard. Hopefully its ok to link to another forum...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-droid-incredible-2/183232-using-sim-your-world-phone.html

Those instructions don't apply to this phone, which is GSM unlocked. It should work with non-US carrier SIMs as long as it is set up on a Verizon account. Just make sure you change the mobile network setting from CDMA to GSM. And don't try it with a US-carrier SIM, like AT&T.
Droid RAZR HD / RAZR Maxx HD (XT926) were GSM unlocked, but no AT&T and T-Mobile | AndroMods

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ah. thanks for the info! Do you know of the RAZR MAXX is the same way? My dad has that phone and is going as well.

Now I just need to sort out the logistics of getting a SIM card that does both France and Italy. I'd like to get it before I go so it works when I get there. And then make sure Verizon doesn't some how screw me when I return and take me out of my unlimited data plan like they did last time.

Does Verizon care that you are using another sim for 2 week or so? Or do they even know? Or from their end, since their SIM card isn't in the phone, is it just like the phone is turned off for 2 weeks?

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ah. thanks for the info! Do you know of the RAZR MAXX is the same way? My dad has that phone and is going as well.

Now I just need to sort out the logistics of getting a SIM card that does both France and Italy. I'd like to get it before I go so it works when I get there. And then make sure Verizon doesn't some how screw me when I return and take me out of my unlimited data plan like they did last time.

Does Verizon care that you are using another sim for 2 week or so? Or do they even know? Or from their end, since their SIM card isn't in the phone, is it just like the phone is turned off for 2 weeks?

They don't really care; in any case it's perfectly legal. They unlocked the GSM for that reason. Cheapest SIMs are usually found in the county. There's usually a kiosk at the airport. They will help you get it working. If you have to change when you cross a border it's not a big deal. But they will advise. Europeans do this all the time. Pretty sure the older MAXX is SIM unlocked, but I don't know for sure. Verizon can tell you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch