How to make an old phone available to use for music only

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe I'm a senior now nor that I'm actually going to a senior center to line dance, but it has happened somehow. In the year I've been going there, I finally convinced the 84-year-old woman who teaches the class to give up her CDs and let me play the music for her from my phone, connected by Bluetooth through a karaoke machine. The problem with this is that I have to be there all the time even when I don't really want to go.

So I've got an old Motorola phone, Moto e4, running Android 7, that I figured I could leave there at the senior center for anyone to use to play the music--IF I can find a willing volunteer or two. (Most of them are quite afraid of their phones.) Trying to make it as easy as possible, I've tried to uninstall or disable every app that isn't necessary, and I've installed PowerAmp (paid version) and put it as the only app on the home screen.

I created a gmail account solely for using Google drive to add more music to the phone when necessary. I had to use my personal gmail account to get Poweramp on there, but then removed it afterwards.

So here are the questions:

1. Should I have done a factory reset of the phone first? It occurred to me too late, and I didn't want it re-installing the zillions of included Moto apps again, but should I start over and do that?

2. If I'm okay as is, my main problem is that I can't figure out how to remove the security pattern for unlocking the phone. I just found Smart Lock and set it to not lock when at my home and when at the senior center. BUT when I restart the phone, that security pattern still comes up. I have found no option to disable it or even change it to something extremely easy.

3. Since most at the senior center have enough trouble operating their own phones, I'm not too too worried about a hacker grabbing this phone and trying to get into my bank account, but if I have removed all my other Google/Gmail accounts and can't personally find anything on the phone that refers to me (except as the owner of the phone), do you think security-wise I'm okay?

4. Any suggestions on what I should make sure to turn off or on? Since this is an old phone, I want to put the least strain on it as possible.

Thanks for your help!

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I've tried to add photos without success. Can you tell me why uploads keep failing? Trying to show how there doesn't appear to be an option to change or disable the security pattern.

I know when I first got the phone I was able to set up and change that pattern. That's the only thing that's making me wonder if I should do a reset.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Uploading photos has been broken for a while -- the site admins were going to work on this after the holidays, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Well that's a relief! I'm always glad to find out it's not me. ;-)

Do you think I should do a reset and see if it lets me start over again with no security settings?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well that's a relief! I'm always glad to find out it's not me. ;-)

Do you think I should do a reset and see if it lets me start over again with no security settings?
I see your using ACF app the pictures go through accessing the site on Tapatalk app which is based off the Forums app

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Okay let's try adding photos through Tapatalk. ... It worked! Thanks mustang7757!

We've got the lock screen that comes up on restarting or having to view security settings. Then my home page with nothing but Poweramp on it. Then Smartlock which still requires the pattern, and screen lock settings which gives no option to change or delete the pattern.
af87582bdbe8c8915fc7fd4a98cd50d1.jpg
ef00aa6c9ee4619da10d017b9b6e49bc.jpg
8a02d94c7bced382526436a0bdf7d85b.jpg
a3e8d77691c35d628d8e11f07b685d7c.jpg
f4b97e3650edb5d9b6ff3a02ffc361d8.jpg
[IMG=507x888]https://uploads.tapatalk-

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try tapping the words "Screen Lock/Pattern", and not the gear icon, in order to change the screen lock option.

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Oh man, you're awesome, B. Diddy! That worked! I never would have thought of it in a million years.

So if all files other than the audio files are removed, should I be good as far as security goes?

Thanks!

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. The first photo is what it looked like when I tapped the gear icon. The second photo is what it now looks like when I tap the words instead of the icon.
d589ed594be19262d63dee80fc5d744e.jpg
4c454c3f1fa3ba6d5c0ecf5f5b772ce3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, you're awesome, B. Diddy! That worked! I never would have thought of it in a million years.

So if all files other than the audio files are removed, should I be good as far as security goes?

Thanks!

Ok, that's great!

You mentioned creating a dummy Google account just for this phone. Is that account associated with your own personal account in any way (i.e., did you just create a new Gmail address associated with your personal Google account, and use that to log in?). If it's a completely separate Google account, then you should be safe.