Where is my Navigator!

justmemole

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I went to use my google maps Navigator on my Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD last night and it wasn't on my main screen, or in the APP's folder. What did Google do with our Navigator.

It worked great before the last Google upgrade was down loaded. I am living in a new city and it was very user friendly to get me around until I find out were everything is in town. From what I can see now we have to go through Google Maps and use the maps function. I could not get it to perform as a point to point Navigation system. it showed me a map of my route, and there was no audible voice to guide you so you didn't have to look up.

Whats going on. The Apps store is giving VZ Navigator app (which I already have, but there is a fee to use it.
Where is my Blue arrow?

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
It is integrated into the updated Google Maps app.

When you enter your start and end points to get directions, the map will come up and nav is in the lower right corner. uploadfromtaptalk1375456317040.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never been so unhappy with an update. "My Places" that used to exist in the old maps (and still do when pulling up maps in a browser) do not appear in Maps.
Also, navigating and multitasking (internet radio, phone calls, hangouts) frequently results in Maps crashes.

To answer the question, Navigation and Maps were removed when the new Maps was installed.

I'm expecting an update in the next few weeks. There's no way this is a finished product.

In the meantime, I'm getting rid of the update.

Last edited:

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
There is already a post about this but if you uninstall maps updates your navigation will come back :thumbup:

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have never been so unhappy with an update. "My Places" that used to exist in the old maps (and still do when pulling up maps in a browser) do not appear in Maps.
Also, navigating and multitasking (internet radio, phone calls, hangouts) frequently results in Maps crashes.

To answer the question, Navigation and Maps were removed when the new Maps was installed.

I'm expecting an update in the next few weeks. There's no way this is a finished product.

In the meantime, I'm getting rid of the update.
Places is integrated into Maps. You just couldn't find it. In Maps, if you tap Search it's there as the Services section. You might have to back up one tap to remove the keyboard which might be blocking it. I find the new version of Maps much, much better than the one it replaced. I'm out of town for two weeks and have been using it every day.

Frankly, I can't imagine why anybody was still using VZW Navigator.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I can't imagine why anybody was still using VZW Navigator.

I don't believe anyone was. "Navigator", the sister app to "Maps", was fully integrated and removed as a separate app. (The blue arrow Icon is no longer there and that's what most people are mentioning.)

If you still see a "My Places", I wonder if you're even using the latest Google Maps.

Last edited:

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe anyone was. "Navigator", the sister app to "Maps", was fully integrated and removed as a separate app. (The blue arrow Icon is no longer there and that's what most people are mentioning.)

If you still see a "My Places", I wonder if you're even using the latest Google Maps.
That was Navigation. Navigator was the VZW app. The blue arrow is also now replaced by the Search bar in Maps.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless someone specifically says "VZ Navigator", I assume any reference to Navigator/tion is a reference to the free, included app. Plus, knowing that the navigation app was removed (integrated) with the last update to maps, VZ Navigator was never a part of the OP's conversation.

tminshew_tm

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC ONE by TMobile and the last update that ran is great but now my navigation app is gone too.... Not cool cause i loved this app. It ran very smooth and so easy to use.

Posted via Android Central App

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a HTC ONE by TMobile and the last update that ran is great but now my navigation app is gone too.... Not cool cause i loved this app. It ran very smooth and so easy to use.

Posted via Android Central App
It's just a couple of taps difference now. Instead of bringing up the Nav app, you bring up Maps. Then tap the Search bar. It shows recent destinations just like the old app. Or you can type and address into the search box. Or you can type a name in your contact list into the search box. Before you had to select a different mode first (like navigate to a contact address) and scroll through your contacts. Now you just type a couple of letters of a contact name and it suggests the contact. In all cases, it's fewer taps once you learn it.

You can still say "Navigate to ..." from the Google Now bar and it will find a destination and start nav. But before you had to tap a couple of confirmation screens. Now it just starts the navigation. I haven't found a single navigation that isn't fewer gestures with the new Maps. Sometimes change is good.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Version 7 is the one that took My Places away. You can still get to them via Chrome or any other browser, they're just not accessible through the maps app.
Version 7 also has the fully integrated Navigator, thereby uninstalling the legacy program that we're all used to seeing. Losing Navigation as a separate, independent app isn't really a big deal... you simply get to it through maps. I'd guess 90+% of navigation began in maps anyway.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have starred several locations using Google Maps on the computer, you can still access them easily from the Android app. Simply load maps then press the person icon at the end of the search bar. Scroll down and you will see "Nearby saved places" and "Saved places" which are both expandable. All my starred locations are saved here just find and I can quickly navigate to any of them by selecting them from here.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
The changes to Google navigation made the ui harder for me to use the application. I checked out Waze and found the ui easy to use and some nice features Google doesn't have. It's free as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Connell McGrath

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
If you have starred several locations using Google Maps on the computer, you can still access them easily from the Android app. Simply load maps then press the person icon at the end of the search bar. Scroll down and you will see "Nearby saved places" and "Saved places" which are both expandable. All my starred locations are saved here just find and I can quickly navigate to any of them by selecting them from here.
I don't see the person icon you refer to. Can you help? I am in Maps version 7.1.0