KIT-KAT??

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just read that there will no update to Kit-Kat for my phone. Is there a Kit-Kat that I can install on my phone?

You would have to root your device, flash a custom recovery, and install a custom ROM, like Cyanogen, if they support your device, and I think they do.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I just read that there will no update to Kit-Kat for my phone. Is there a Kit-Kat that I can install on my phone?

Which device are you on? According to Motorola the RM HD will be getting kit kat

Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD via Android Central App

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

found this on xda. ---- [ROM][GSM/CDMA/LTE][Kitkat 4.4.2] ROMFactory 1.1 STABLE! - xda-developers

neither i nor the developer take any responsibility for any problems that might occur.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way. This is the fourth kit kat rom that I have tried..Cm, D Hacker, Aokp.. all buggy.. This build appears to be quite stable.. camera works quite well.. bluetooth, i could not tell ya.. never use it.. but everything else seems to be rock solid, and quite fluid.. Unfortunately you loose root afterwards, but a bit of coding will get you back.. nice to be on the the same build as the N5 with superior battery life...BTW the build is 4.4.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our maxx will be receiving kit kat... just about 3 months from now.. but in the mean time:)

hope it works... btw you need to be on the most recent build of twrp..

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
found this on xda. ---- [ROM][GSM/CDMA/LTE][Kitkat 4.4.2] ROMFactory 1.1 STABLE! - xda-developers

neither i nor the developer take any responsibility for any problems that might occur.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way. This is the fourth kit kat rom that I have tried..Cm, D Hacker, Aokp.. all buggy.. This build appears to be quite stable.. camera works quite well.. bluetooth, i could not tell ya.. never use it.. but everything else seems to be rock solid, and quite fluid.. Unfortunately you loose root afterwards, but a bit of coding will get you back.. nice to be on the the same build as the N5 with superior battery life...BTW the build is 4.4.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our maxx will be receiving kit kat... just about 3 months from now.. but in the mean time:)

hope it works... btw you need to be on the most recent build of twrp..

Glad you could spam the forums with this....FYI most will know you have to be rooted to do this. We are waiting for the official release

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Glad you could spam the forums with this....FYI most will know you have to be rooted to do this. We are waiting for the official release

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

sorry for being overtly enthused!! was not trying to spam.. you know how many times people cannot load a rom, because they are not running the latest version of twrp, or another basic install process.. i was trying to be helpful. I apologize that my knowledge or cool factor does not live up to your standards.

Drrrrroiidd

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Will there or will there not be kit-kat on the droid razr maxx hd??? I have been considering rooting, but don't want to take the chance yet because I have not ever done it yet. If I know for sure that I'll be getting an update, then I think I'm am going to wait. Thanks guys.... Also sorry if I may be asking the same questions as some other people. I just am making sure.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Will there or will there not be kit-kat on the droid razr maxx hd??? I have been considering rooting, but don't want to take the chance yet because I have not ever done it yet. If I know for sure that I'll be getting an update, then I think I'm am going to wait. Thanks guys.... Also sorry if I may be asking the same questions as some other people. I just am making sure.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1949
According to that site, the Verizon Droid Razr Maxx HD is still scheduled to receive an official Kit Kat update. Early reports said Q1 2014 but not sure if that's still the case.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

tnstra

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am probably alone on this, but I got the Droid Maxx and while at the Verizon Store it updated to Kit Kat. I used it for 2 weeks.
There is no Voice Commands and the replacement is severely lacking.
There is no Smart Actions and it's replacement is not only severely lacking, it's a total joke !!!!!!!
(The antenna on the Droid Maxx was mediocre at best, but that's for another forum.)
AND, there was no notification LED.
Soooo I did the right thing and came back to my trusted Droid Razr Maxx HD , BEST phone I ever owner bar none.
And I've set it up not to accept a system update although 4.2 or 4.3 would be super if I could get it without rooting the phone.

Tom

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Soooo I did the right thing and came back to my trusted Droid Razr Maxx HD , BEST phone I ever owner bar none.

Tom

I have to agree. Looking at what's out there right now, the way I've got my MaxxHD set up I don't see a compelling reason with the current crop of phones to make a switch. At some point in the future, of course, I will. But for now, I'm still very happy.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. Looking at what's out there right now, the way I've got my MaxxHD set up I don't see a compelling reason with the current crop of phones to make a switch. At some point in the future, of course, I will. But for now, I'm still very happy.

I just switched to the HTC one. I love it and not an issue with battery life. Still holding on to my rmhd as a spare for me or my wife if needed

Posted via HTC One Android Central App

cmyoch

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

You have me curious now, how is your phone set up? I'm in love with my MaxxHD and don't have any plans to venture away from it any time soon. I always look for ways to make my phone even better.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I still hope to try 4.4 on my RMHD. There's been a lot of app updates lately. Maybe soon?

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx HD using Tapatalk.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
All I want from the 4.4 update (hopefully 4.4.2) is the launcher used on the 2013 Droids and the new Moto camera app. Hopefully it comes soon!

I have it, and it's pretty solid. No problems, and it runs smoothly.

That said, I'm not sure if it's any better than Nova Launcher, in my opinion. Nova is just as fast and smooth, with way more customization. Just no "OK Google Now" voice control.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I am probably alone on this, but I got the Droid Maxx and while at the Verizon Store it updated to Kit Kat. I used it for 2 weeks.
There is no Voice Commands and the replacement is severely lacking.
There is no Smart Actions and it's replacement is not only severely lacking, it's a total joke !!!!!!!
(The antenna on the Droid Maxx was mediocre at best, but that's for another forum.)
AND, there was no notification LED.
And I've set it up not to accept a system update although 4.2 or 4.3 would be super if I could get it without rooting the phone.

Tom

How do you set it up not to accept a system update? I am happy with the phone as is, every Android update I have ever had did way more bad than good. But in my experience if you don't accept the phone will prompt you like every 10 minutes.