Why does "Android OS" have a massive drain on my battery every once in a while.

Isaac_Colvin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a Razr Maxx HD, love the phone and the battery life, but every once in a while it will have Android OS suck a lot of battery and I wont be able to get through the day with it. Is there something that I can do to stop this?

Attachments

• 2013-12-23 10.02.11.png
    2013-12-23 10.02.11.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2013-12-23 10.02.19.png
    2013-12-23 10.02.19.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 27

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Based on the screenshots, I am going to guess at 2 things: 1. Your device is idle a lot. That is why the OS is so high. The OS is only taking up 23% of the 21% drain as shown in your pictures. 2. You cell signal look very weak. Your device is probably spending more energy maintaining that weak signal than the OS is draining your battery.

Test to see if I am correct: Put your phone in Airplane mode for a little while. If you make it longer throughout the day, then it is the cell radios that's killing your battery.

Isaac_Colvin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
In my area I am in and out of coverage all the time (this was the reason I got the Razr Maxx hd), i understand that and can live with it. It's just that once every week or two i have the Android OS go crazy and suck the battery down on me. I would normally be in the low 90% to high 80% range at this time of the morning.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can try clearing cache in recovery, but I don't know how on your device.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You can try clearing cache in recovery, but I don't know how on your device.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL DOWN key, then tap and release the VOL UP key.

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 5, try a force reboot by pressing the power Key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to SELECT this option.

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT

11. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93162/p/30,6720,8579/action/auth

rabecki123

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
My husbands Android OS is using 59% of his battery life. He does not play games or use the internet on his phone. His battery is lucky if it's last the day, how can we stop the Android OS from using so much of his battery? He has the Motorola Droid Maxx.