System Update Feature

simplerlife

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I called verizon today to see if they could push the update to my phone and they said that they can't. They also told me that everytime you push the system update feature on your phone you move down the list to get the update :eek:

thybrutalthrone

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like they were just pulling your leg about the "getting pushed down the update list" comment. Sounds like they were just trying to ruffle some feathers! haha

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I called verizon today to see if they could push the update to my phone and they said that they can't. They also told me that everytime you push the system update feature on your phone you move down the list to get the update :eek:

Sorry I had to lmao..............hilarious :D I hope you didn't believe them!

Tolwrath

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
You know what? I do. I believe them by proxy. That sounds exactly like the sort of dumbass thing Verizon would do to piss off their customers. Just like when they wasted time and money slowly rolling an update out to individual phones instead of doing a mass update by phone model.

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
. Just like when they wasted time and money slowly rolling an update out to individual phones instead of doing a mass update by phone model.

ive been looking for someone to make a post that lets me go off on my little rant ive had brewing

in all seriousness...how many razrs and maxxs are there in the world?

the excuse of the strain on the moto or vzw or the google or the tooth fairys servers for everyone pulling the update is too much seems a little far fetched. your telling me that with all these billions these companies have that they dont have a system in place to handle the traffic?

ive been very patient with waiting for ics. sure ive joked since quarter two began that i want my ICS now...but ive been patient. i held onto my upgrade till i found a phone that was worth me spending money on. orignally i was going to get a rezound. then the maxx was announced and i said WANT!

but now i wish i had just stuck with my droid pro and kept the physical keyboard and the GB that i had to install myself because it was taking forever for GB to be released for it...atleast that thing i knew wasnt going to get teased with what was supposed to be the latest OS.

which brings me to another point. is this going to be upgradable to JB or Android OS letter K? am i going to have to wait a year for those updates?

back to my original point. i feel like we always get duped when they start telling us that they dont want to strain the severs and all the downloads might slow down the download. seriously how many people who bought the phone are as into them as we are...how many check up on websites like AC?

probably should of made this a separate post in retrospect

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
ive been looking for someone to make a post that lets me go off on my little rant ive had brewing

the excuse of the strain on the moto or vzw or the google or the tooth fairys servers for everyone pulling the update is too much seems a little far fetched. your telling me that with all these billions these companies have that they dont have a system in place to handle the traffic?

ive been very patient with waiting for ics. sure ive joked since quarter two began that i want my ICS now...but ive been patient. i held onto my upgrade till i found a phone that was worth me spending money on. orignally i was going to get a rezound. then the maxx was announced and i said WANT!

but now i wish i had just stuck with my droid pro and kept the physical keyboard and the GB that i had to install myself because it was taking forever for GB to be released for it...atleast that thing i knew wasnt going to get teased with what was supposed to be the latest OS.

which brings me to another point. is this going to be upgradable to JB or Android OS letter K? am i going to have to wait a year for those updates?

back to my original point. i feel like we always get duped when they start telling us that they dont want to strain the severs and all the downloads might slow down the download. seriously how many people who bought the phone are as into them as we are...how many check up on websites like AC?

Here you go, bud. *Sword and shield*
Based on my experience, you have a forum battle headed your way.

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
to be honest i really dont care when the flamers start. bring it on...a couple insults recited from a cracker jack box arent really going to bother me.

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

I have it on good authority that VZW is using TRS-80's for their servers, and Motorola is using a Commodore 2000.(or at least it feels like that's what they're using) that's why the updates are rolling out slloooooowwwwwwwlllyyy.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have it on good authority that VZW is using TRS-80's for their servers, and Motorola is using a Commodore 2000.(or at least it feels like that's what they're using) that's why the updates are rolling out slloooooowwwwwwwlllyyy.

..but they're rolling out, just like they said it would. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
..but they're rolling out, just like they said it would. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

no its a slow trickle...a slow yellow trickle

a slow almost golden trickle.

and honest...what criteria are they using to determine whose first? i got my phone waaaaay back in january when it launched. shouldnt i be rewarded with an early update over say the jagoff who went and got it last week to keep his unlimited data plan?

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

props for the tandy computer...i would of personally gone for a hamster in a wheel for there servers

Reactions: bed269

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

^^ This.

We are a small, very small percentage of users that even know an update is rolling out. How many of you have friends, co-workers, boy friend, wife, etc. that have no clue when their phone even gets an update? Most don't even know what version OS they are on, or what OS in general is on their phone. All they know is they have an iPhone, or a "Droid" phone.

Back to your point: yeah, they should be able to have servers to handle downloads. Especially since doing away with unlimited data.

Reactions: bed269 and jeverts

tmbob

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

Yep - and the update is on cassette being sent via a 150 Baud modem... And when you check for the update - the cassette gets rewound.. :p

Last edited:

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

and honest...what criteria are they using to determine whose first? i got my phone waaaaay back in january when it launched. shouldnt i be rewarded with an early update over say the jagoff who went and got it last week to keep his unlimited data plan?

:mad::mad:SIr, i resent being called a jagoff for upgrading to keep my unlimited plan! But i share your disappointment at hitting that check for updates and being told that you're up to date while knowing that there are people out there enjoying their ice cream:p:p

props for the tandy computer...i would of personally gone for a hamster in a wheel for there servers

Reactions: bradenfontaine

Ravage790

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
:mad::mad:SIr, i resent being called a jagoff for upgrading to keep my unlimited plan! But i share your disappointment at hitting that check for updates and being told that you're up to date while knowing that there are people out there enjoying their ice cream:p:p

no disrespect intended for the jagoff line more ment those people who waited to the last minute to upgrade even though theyve had one for a year because they were waiting for the next big thing in smartphones(unless you have a TARDIS or a trust fund youll never keep up so just get something youll like 2 years from now and be done with it)

on a side note about those new shared plans my soon to be ex verizon employed friend ran a cost analysis on my account with the new plans. yeah i need a 18 gig plan and 60 more dollars a month. and its not like im using this phone as a personal ISP. i just take public transit a lot and the phone keeps me from wanting to pull my eyes out and throw them at the wankers on the bus that annoy the living out of me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't matter when you bought it, the updates are issued randomly by ESN. You don't get a 'reward' for buying it in January.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

No offense, but do you actually know anything about how a wireless network works? Do you know what would happen if several hundred thousand phones had an OTA pushed over the network all at the same time? There's a reason they don't do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

anon(56379)

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The update message is a trivial amount of data, and many people will be using wifi to perform the actual download, so its not really THAT big of a deal

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Taptalk2

seanlongoria

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The update message is a trivial amount of data, and many people will be using wifi to perform the actual download, so its not really THAT big of a deal

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Taptalk2

Wifi may be find on the user end but it's irrelevant on the server end. They can only push so many updates at once.