Turning Off LTE, using 3G only with new ICS

cjallen1#AC

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I searched through the ICS post and didn't see anythign on this. How do I change my siganl to only use 3G? I use 4GLTE every now and then when I need it but 99% of the time I don't want and I can double my battery life by having it on 3G when I'm not using heavy data. It was easy on Gingerbread but now I can't seem to get it to work on the new ICS. Anybody know how to change the settings to just 3G? Thanks.

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
There is no option in settings anymore like there was in Gingerbread. The way I do it is without the use of any third party app.

INFO
1) Go into your phone dialer 2) Type *#*#4636#*#* 3) Go to Phone Information 4) Under "Set preferred network type:", select "CDMA auto (PRL)

There is also an app in the app stare that will take you to Phone Information. I believe it's called Thunderbolt LTE ON/OFF or something like that, but I don't like using apps when I don't have to

Optid

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is a QR code for the LTE onOFF app. :)

ZXMjN.png

daboybk

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone here link me to where I can find a pc application to factory erase my razr maxx to 100 stock such as what "odin" is for samsung devices. I need to completely erase everything including superuser off my phone to send back to verizon. thx in advance

Last edited:

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt LTE On/Off worked on the Droid RAZR with Android 4.04. Its hard to find the switch though. Typical Android App. First you have to see the button next to the network displayed. Hitting that button opens up a menu. Then you have to know that the menu scrolls up and down and that cdma is in this menu but its up off of the screen. Scrolling up and sellecting CDMA then exiting the app and we're in 3G. Easy. Hah. It is easier than remembering the secret phone number and typing it in by hand though. Maybe we can assign the secret number to a contact. Kind of reminds me of playing doom. But this is 2012. And its on my phone. And we still need to know secret codes to enable stuff? Typical Android.

Android, like Linux for your Phone.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Better than iOS, where you just plain can't do stuff.

That's why a lot of people like IOS, simple, easy to use, predefined options and no choices that actually require a bit of technical knowledge to use, enable or disable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I suspose IOS users also like updates that do not eliminate their contacts. I'm furious over the ICS update to my Droid RAZR and will no longer recommend Android. I've had trouble with the last two updates and don't enjoy wasting time figuring out how to fix them. The previous "downgrade" caused the screen to lock up and required a trip to the Verizon store for a patch. This ICS update moved things around. Over half of my contacts were placed into a Google Contacts group called Other and eliminated from the phone. Again after hours of web searches it took a trip to the Verizon store to figure this out. The worse part is you don't know something is no longer there until you need to use it. Right now I would trade IOS's lack of hackable features for its stability and use as a Phone. Phone calls and text messaging are 90% of what I do on my RAZR.

Lately 90% of what I do under ICS is figuring out how to do something I had been doing for the past two years. What a waste of time. Its a shame.

Android: Like Linux for you Phone.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
And another thing.

Its not like the ICS update broke a third party APP that required the APP to be updated. This is Google breaking my contacts list. This is Google loosing my information on their OS. They wrote this crap. If they do this on my phone imagine how secure their Cloud data is? Wait until millions of customers loose their documents, pictures, spreadsheets, videos, emails, contacts, and preferences, on their Google Cloud Accounts because of an Upgrade to the Cloud. Its gonna happen.

One probably won't loose your preferences as they make money off of that.

But wait it gets worse. This is a Motorola phone and the ICS downgrade was massaged for over half a year by Motorola to make certain that it worked on their RAZR. And who owns Motorola? If Motorola, owned by Google, can't get ICS right after months of work how are the other vendors going too? I'm 100% positive that the Google Contacts foobar is Google's issue and not the phone OEM so every Android device has the potential to get downgraded.

Android; Like Linux for your Phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer, sorry you had so many problems. I have to say that my ICS upgrade went very smoothly--maybe the contact issue wasn't a problem for me since I primarily use Gmail. As has been mentioned several times in this forum, a cache partition wipe after the upgrade, or even a straight factory data reset can often correct various update problems. Once could argue that we shouldn't have to do things like that, but keep in mind that ICS was a huge update, not just an incremental one. But it's probably too late to change your mind.

Enjoy your iPhone!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, update problems aren't exclusive to Android. Do a Google search for "iPhone problem after update," and you will find issues.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I suspose IOS users also like updates that do not eliminate their contacts...

Updating my iOS deleted my contacts forever, at least on my Android they're automatically backed up.
So instead of reentering them all, my iPhone is now back in its box collecting dust only occasionally being used for Skype.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I end each 14 hour day with 50%-70% battery life with the stock MAXX. Why would one want to fall back to 3G even if there was some battery life improvement. The joy of the MAXX is being able to use all of the phone's features without having to worry about battery life.

Reactions: Eclipse2K

Gary Nach

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thunderbird LTE only isn't an app but just a shortcut. That said, your tip is the smart one. I saved #*#*4636*#*# to my contacts as Phone Info. It won't "dial" so I edited Phone Info with Title as "Must Type In" and the "Add organization" as "GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). I've had to reset it several times and would forget which CDMA, but not anymore.

ksanger35

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that you believe phones should be difficult enough that one wouldn't know how to use them. That ought to limit the number of people that buy them. Or increase the number of satisfied customers. But I'm certain that hitting upgrade caused all of my issues and it must therefor be my fault. NOT.

Back in 1978 I built an MEK6800D2 microprocessor kit.

In 1980 I worked for Western Electric where we repaired handsets.

Guess Google Android doesn't know how to build a reliable phone. Especially if one needs training.

Oh wait, maybe you are referring to the Droid SDK forum where I can't post and the developer won't upgrade his GUI as nobody is telling him how bad it is as the "Noobies" can't post there. Great feedback mechanism.

I repeat. Android, like Linux for your phone.

I have another one too. I'm certain Google hires a lot of smart programmers but I wouldn't hire any of them.

Why am I so hard on them. Its simple. They cost me time and I know what I'm doing. Imagine what my mom would do, or my mother-in-law, or my neighbor. They are selling a phone. It all comes down to a phone first. Contacts should be a given. Misplacing them or moving them or cloning them or combining two different contacts into one is a terrible terrible idea. That programmer should be shot. The manager that released this crap should be fired. The company that sells this stuff should have to deal with millions of complaints. Unless that's what their hoping for as there is another sucker waiting in line to loose his contacts.

If Android is going to keep "Upgrading" and changing its gui and look and feel and move stuff around and disable features then I can't recommend that. I see no benefit. None. Just a toy and a waste of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member