Motorola's newest RAZR's might just cut Motorola due to dullnes

jimmiegeddes

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
he latest RAZR's all come in at competitive price points, competitive specs, but announcing three new RAZR smartphones that are pretty indistinguishable in terms of design wasn't a sharp idea for Motorola. In fact it's what Motorola did after it announced the original Droid RAZR last year. A few weeks later it announced the RAZR Maxx (only difference was it was a little thicker due to a larger battery). These RAZR's are what Motorola is putting up against the iPhone 5, the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and HTC's upcoming offerings. The main difference between the RAZR HD and RAZR Maxx HD is the Maxx is a little thicker and provides longer battery life (same move Motorola did last year with the RAZR and RAZR Maxx). If Motorola wants to play with the big boys it needs to release devices that are more unique. Was it really a sharp idea to replay last year's RAZR story and adding HD to the names to try and impress customers. Motorola, you just might get cut by your very own dull RAZRs.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The only reason the Maxx versions (of the RAZR and RAZR HD) is because the batteries are not user removable.

Not sure why these new RAZR HD and M phones couldn't hold their own against the Galaxy S III, HTC One X, and new iPhone.

The RAZR is Motorola's halo brand.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jimmiegeddes

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Motorola's newest RAZR's might just cut Motorola due to dulln

Don't you feel like it's just a rehash of last year's RAZR and RAZR Maxx but released at the same time? There's just not enough different besides the choice of choosing between battery. I just couldn't see Apple, Samsung, or HTC making this kind of move.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

I think when you have a winner like the Razr, you keep it recognizable, and you improve on it.

Apple did it with the iPhone for years, and to a certain extent Samsung has done it with the Galaxy line.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't you feel like it's just a rehash of last year's RAZR and RAZR Maxx but released at the same time? There's just not enough different besides the choice of choosing between battery. I just couldn't see Apple, Samsung, or HTC making this kind of move.

I agree. Aesthetically, they are very uninspiring.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jimmiegeddes

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I just think it was a bad move to release that kind of lineup to compete with the other players. It irked many when Motorola released the RAZR Maxx a few weeks or months after the RAZR, today they announced them at the same time. It would have gone down better in my mind if there were a few key differences between the HD and Maxx HD. It just seems they should have at least differentiated the devices more than they did today.

Last edited:

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Apple has a long (and successful) record of incremental changes. Why would Moto drastically alter Verizon's best seller? The business model is to constantly improve your flagship model until that point is reached where the technology makes the leap sufficient to merit replacement with an all new design. If you look under the hood at all the specs of the new models, there's more there than you might think at 1st glance. I think they will be spectacularly successful and may well better the sales figures of present models they replace.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Reactions: Ry and B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Interesting that you would mention Apple--it seems that every iteration of the iPhone looks pretty much the same as well.

Reactions: Eclipse2K

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The RAZR and RAZR MAXX were hits. Don't need to reinvent the wheel every year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just think it was a bad move to release that kind of lineup to compete with the other players. It irked many when Motorola released the RAZR Maxx a few weeks or months after the RAZR, today they announced them at the same time. It would have gone down better in my mind if there were a few key differences between the HD and Maxx HD. It just seems they should have at least differentiated the devices more than they did today.

Again, the MAXX of either phone wouldn't exist if the RAZRs had removable batteries.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

does anybody know what the ram is gonna be ? im hoping for 2gigs what say you folks?

jimmiegeddes

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I just think Motorola could have and should have differentiated between the HD and HD Maxx more than they did. At least they didn't announce only the RAZR HD today and a few weeks later announce the RAZR Maxx HD. I wouldn't expect Apple or Samsung to announce devices at the same launch, virtually the same phone and call it Samsung Galaxy SIII Maxx or iPhone 5 Maxx due to a non-removable battery, give impressive battery life from the get go, not create a different model that's virtually identical. When Motorola did the Maxx previously it didn't go over well with customers who had recently bought the original RAZR. I know the Maxx HD has more storage, I was just expecting more differentiation between both devices. Just my opinion.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

1 gig ? is that confirmed ? if so that sucks and i will definitely be passing on this device as much as i love moto hardware there is no reason this device doesnt have 2gigs of ram . its basically a no cost option at this point with as cheap as ram has become .

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
1 gig ? is that confirmed ? if so that sucks and i will definitely be passing on this device as much as i love moto hardware there is no reason this device doesnt have 2gigs of ram . its basically a no cost option at this point with as cheap as ram has become .

Its not necessary. The only reason the S4 has it is because touch wiz is a bloated mess. Motorolas skin, being almost stock, doesn't need 2 gigs of ram.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: B. Diddy and Ry

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Its not necessary. The only reason the S4 has it is because touch wiz is a bloated mess. Motorolas skin, being almost stock, doesn't need 2 gigs of ram.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I believe confirmed, at least from what I read, and what ^ said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just think Motorola could have and should have differentiated between the HD and HD Maxx more than they did. At least they didn't announce only the RAZR HD today and a few weeks later announce the RAZR Maxx HD. I wouldn't expect Apple or Samsung to announce devices at the same launch, virtually the same phone and call it Samsung Galaxy SIII Maxx or iPhone 5 Maxx due to a non-removable battery, give impressive battery life from the get go, not create a different model that's virtually identical. When Motorola did the Maxx previously it didn't go over well with customers who had recently bought the original RAZR. I know the Maxx HD has more storage, I was just expecting more differentiation between both devices. Just my opinion.

Uh. iPhone 3G to 3GS and iPhone 4 to 4S?

Or how about the Samsung Galaxy S and S II variants that the US carriers got?

Motorola needs the non-MAXX versions for their thinness claims, it's part of the RAZR heritage.

Sure the original DROID RAZR MAXX didn't go over well with some people that purchased the DROID RAZR at launch but that didn't really matter in the end. They both sold like crazy.

The RAZR brand is iconic and keeping a familiar look is important.

Reactions: B. Diddy

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

need has nothing to do with it . this phone is going head to head with the s3 . if its gonna compete it needs to match or best the competition in most catagories . i understand why you dont have to have the additional ram but on the the other hand why not have it . its not like having more ram is some how hurting the performance of the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
need has nothing to do with it . this phone is going head to head with the s3 . if its gonna compete it needs to match or best the competition in most catagories . i understand why you dont have to have the additional ram but on the the other hand why not have it . its not like having more ram is some how hurting the performance of the phone.

The way Android moves things in and out of memory should be fine on the RAZR HD with just 1GB of RAM. If it handles normal tasks fine, and doesn't have the early app closing issue that the One X has, everyday RAZR HD owners won't even notice.

This just adds to the "who has a bigger stick" spec war mentality that Android fanboys seem to care a lot about.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The biggest complaint about the Maxx was the lack of HD screen. Now that they've improved on that, what's the knock? Now you have a great screen, a great battery, great signal & hardware. I see this as a great move by Motorola to build on an already successful foundation. It definitely didn't get the fanfare that S3 got, but that isn't Moto's style. They focus more on the "dirty work" than the flair.

Sent via SwiftKey 3 on Droid Razr Maxx

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699