How to Root, Install Safestrap, and custom ROMs

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
if your main goal is to get rid of bloat, rooting would be a good option for you. you can get better battery life, less lag, and the ability to back up everything on your phone in case of an accident.

---------- Post Merged at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Titanium Backup

this one app will do everything you need it sounds like. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Titanium backup is one of the few apps that I would ever spend 7 bucks on for the pro version.

I used the free version for a while but the features of the pro are worth it.

Batch install and uninstall where you don't have to hit the install or uninstall button for every app, schedules, I have it set to do two backups every night one for any modified data, and another for any new apps or newer versions.

It's a rooters best friend

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
the good thing about Titanium Backup is you can "freeze" any app without actually deleting it. that way the app is no longer functioning, or even in your app drawer. but if you ever need it back for some reason you can just "thaw" it and poof, its back. it is a great way to customize and optimize battery life without doing anything permanent, which is comforting to some who are new to the scene.

dubfish34

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and did it. All on my own and scared as hell when I couldn't find where I put my ROM. My first root and ROM. Thanks Branden. Great directions. :)

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and did it. All on my own and scared as hell when I couldn't find where I put my ROM. My first root and ROM. Thanks Branden. Great directions. :)

Awesomeness! Any suggestions on if I can make the directions easier to understand or follow?

Using my Kindle Fire breathing CM9

dubfish34

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Directions were great. I didn't create a ROM folder as you suggested because I knew where I put it. At least I thought I did! Sorry for misspelling your name too. Braden...Not Branden :p. Liked and thanked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It took an hour. Now I downloaded the drivers first. I connect my phone and run the utility press 2 but it gives me an adb error over and over and then goes back to the batman screen :( USB debugging checked.. connected as a media device... what am I missing?

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's over a gig, so yea it normally takes a while.

For your error I would uninstall the drivers, restart your pc. And then re install them and see if it works

bradenfontaine

The Mad Man
Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
It took an hour. Now I downloaded the drivers first. I connect my phone and run the utility press 2 but it gives me an adb error over and over and then goes back to the batman screen :( USB debugging checked.. connected as a media device... what am I missing?

Did you unzip the file that you downloaded? the utility comes in a zip file. make a separate folder maybe on your desktop and unzip all of the items into that folder and then run the utility from there.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I did unzip. Placed the utility on my desktop. I even rebooted my pc right after I downloaded the drivers. Now I'm watching football lol so I'm gonna try again on Sunday!

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I did unzip. Placed the utility on my desktop. I even rebooted my pc right after I downloaded the drivers. Now I'm watching football lol so I'm gonna try again on Sunday!

Did you follow the directions in the OP? lol

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I did! 62 bit drivers. I checked my operating system first to be sure. I mean I've rooted phones before so I have no clue why this didn't work for me. I'll give it another go soon. Thanks so much for your help! All of you!

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
So, here's a question. I'm actually wanting to unrom my phone and go back to stock to get my contacts. Gmail is being a pain and not letting me do it through Verizon, so I'm thinking of finding a different way. Anyways, how would I go about doing this? Maybe even try out some different ROM's that I find interesting.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Are your contacts backed up with Google? If not then you need a rom that is based off motoblur otherwise you won't be able to use backup assistant.

Did you create a back up before you flashed? If so just restore that.

If not then you need to use the utility to go back to stock. Directions are in the op.

dubfish34

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Quick question from my noobie self.....I just rooted and flashed the Arctic HD ROM yesterday and ever since I have not been able to sign in to my Google profile in Google maps. I actually use this quite a bit for work and have a lot of locations starred for quick reference on my laptop.

So, is this is a known issue?......or can I do anything about it?

dubfish34

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Quick question from my noobie self.....I just rooted and flashed the Arctic HD ROM yesterday and ever since I have not been able to sign in to my Google profile in Google maps. I actually use this quite a bit for work and have a lot of locations starred for quick reference on my laptop.

So, is this is a known issue?......or can I do anything about it?

Just looking around a bit.....will clearing the cache help? If so, can I do that with safestrap or do I need to disable it? It says "wipe cache partition" and that just seems more.....permanent. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non