Question Could zFont3 have viruses?

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a Galaxy M34 with 6000 mAh. Its battery endurance was awesome for the first week. Then I started playing around and I decided to set a custom font with the help of the app zFont 3: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htetznaing.zfont2&hl=en&gl=US
I used a normal font that I took from the windows directory on my PC. Since the day I set the custom font, battery life started to degrade to an extreme degree. From an average screen on time of 12 hours until I reached 20%, I got 9, all the time. And I was using the phone the same way and in the same places and circumstances. Also, the screen on time never went up from 9 during the following weeks. I ended up returning the phone but, what if zFont 3 could have a virus? The way it manages to set the fonts is strange, it will ask you to install a font made by the app by the title of Samsung Sans, that you don't know what it has inside, then upload a backup to the Samsung Cloud, then install another app made by this app with supposedly your custom font inside and nothing more, then restore the backup from Samsung Cloud... Some people have even said that after doing this they end up with a Settings keeps stopping error... This app seems to mess a lot with your phone. Could it possibly push viruses into your phone or corrupt your settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Google Play reviews for that app are very middling, with a lot of 1-star reviews. Looking through some of them, a lot of complaints are about intrusive ads, but at least one person said it severely messed up the phone's settings.

I doubt there's an actual virus per se, especially for an app installed from the Play Store. But it could just be really poor coding that's causing something to go rogue and use too much CPU or battery. Or maybe there's a cryptocurrency miner included in the app (which isn't considered a virus, but certainly would be an unwanted program).

When the battery was draining more quickly, did you check the Settings>Battery menu to see what apps or services were using the most battery?

Reactions: Laura Knotek