Fragile Screen?

JohnMcG

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I just broke my second Droid Razr screen in two months. After having had my previous three (non-smart) phones until I could get a subsidized upgrade from Verizon. Plus I had silicon guard and screen cover on in both cases.

The first one was at the gym with the phone in the pocket of my gym shorts, and I stood up from a recumbent bike. I thought I banged my leg on the handlebar, which I thought banged into the screen. It didn't seem like the type of event that should break a product advertised for its durability, but I accepted that I could have been more careful.

So, when I got my replacement, I was careful to always keep the screen toward me when I stored it in my pocket.

This morning, it was again in my pocket of my gym shorts when I got out of my car. I don't think I made contact with anything; I think I just flexed the phone, which put pressure on it enough to crack it, again rendering it unusable.

Now, I'm not convinced the problem is me. I am a big guy, so I may be putting pressure on it in a unique way, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem, or just a bad match with my usage patterns.

I have insurance, so the first was replaced for the $100 co-pays, as will I suspect the second, but then I'm out of replacements, and I'd rather not live in fear.

impostor71

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That sucks man. Maybe find a different way to carry your Razr or maybe get a different case that's sturdier to help? Running out of your TEC so early in your contract is not so good. Good luck man!

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
get bluetooth headphones. some folks have said they get 50' range. Leave your phone in you gymbag next to where you are working out.

MeridianSun

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a user problem. I would suggest an otterbox defender. I would probably have broke mine by now too, but the defender is awesome.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Man, my father keeps his in his back pocket and has never had an issue! Are you wearing daisy dukes to the gym?

miikeyroks#CB

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont think its just you. I have babied this phone, never put it in my pocket when sitting down or anything, but one morning i woke up and it had pressure cracked, there are no signs of damage at all on the surface, just pressure crack below the screen...

I refuse to pay the $100 for a phone that should be sturdier than this one. :mad:

markus2e2

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Had issue with broken internal screen with no visible damage to exterior of phone. Verizon was no help and said if I sent it back through them they would say it was abused and would have to pay full price for replacement - I opted for no insurance. Contacted Motorola and sent it back to them. They fixed it under full warranty with no cost to me. Took 6 days for them to send it back to me. Phone is fragile - when it broke it was in my pocket and apparently got a stress crack. Motorola must realize it is a fault of the phone to fix it under warranty. Verizon is no help on this though - you are pretty much on your own. Will buy the big bulky case which defeats the purpose of the thin phone.

TrendyProfessional1

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Had issue with broken internal screen with no visible damage to exterior of phone. Verizon was no help and said if I sent it back through them they would say it was abused and would have to pay full price for replacement - I opted for no insurance. Contacted Motorola and sent it back to them. They fixed it under full warranty with no cost to me. Took 6 days for them to send it back to me. Phone is fragile - when it broke it was in my pocket and apparently got a stress crack. Motorola must realize it is a fault of the phone to fix it under warranty. Verizon is no help on this though - you are pretty much on your own. Will buy the big bulky case which defeats the purpose of the thin phone.

Wow thanks for the info..........
Well if you rant enough to VZ they may do something about it.
Because if they realize it's a known issue they should put it back to
the manufacturer....
Just my thoughts

markus2e2

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
By now you may have found what you needed - but, just in case... I first sent email to Motorola - got the email link from the Motorola.com site under "Contact Us" area. Their reply was that it could cost $110 if not under warranty. Then they said to go to their site to input your info and to get instructions to send the phone to them. Use this URL to do this: https://globalrepairtools.motorola.com/serviceandrepair/ They will send you an email with a FedEx label to print and take to a FedEx drop off location. This includes their express service for free "big" envelope to send it back but you have to provide your own packing materials. I opted to pay FedEx for their $10 cell phone box which is much more durable than the envelope. I had no other contact with Motorola until I got the email giving me a tracking number for the return of the phone to me. Only 6 days after I sent it. Gotta tell you, I was absolutely impressed with Motorola. Even if they would have charged me the $110 - which they didn't, that would have been a bargain compared to Verizon's refusal to help and them requiring me to pay full price for a replacement which is around $500-600 - or more???

penton42

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
One more person here who this happened to. I've had the phone since late November, so over 30 day period, with no insurance (which seems to be a ripoff.) I recently had droid razr in my front pocket as I leaned down to take some pictures with a regular camera. When I took the phone out a short time later, its internal lcd screen was cracked! Called amazon, who referred me to verizon, who referred me to motorola, who said they will either repair or replace the phone for free. I'm guessing there is a defect with this phone that Motorola may be recognizing, as these things just cannot be that sensitive.

BoomTheGreat

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had the exact same thing happen. My first RAZR made it 11 days before the LED beneath the glass spiderwebbed. That one I was willing to accept, it collided with the corner of a table. Just about an hour ago however, I removed my second one from my pocket to find the EXACT SAME THING. No impact, no stress, nothing. I was sitting down, and just suddenly the phone gave out. Excuse me if I can't help but think WHAT THE ING HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS THING. I dished out the cash for the replacement through Asurion (complete ripoff, we pay monthly for this service and they were entirely uncooperative and still charged us 100), and now I only have one left. Can anybody recommend anything to keep this next (and final) RAZR safe? Some sort of case that actually covers this unnecessarily fragile screen would be wonderful, but I can't find anything...

Also, what are the terms of the warranty? I haven't even had this (these) phone for a month yet and I've gone through two, I'd love to at least get the third for free... ---_____---

jywang

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Motorola also repaired my wife's phone for free when the interior lcd cracked without any physical damage causing it. Verizon refused to help....

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have hairline inner cracks... Dunno why. I baby it.. You can barely see them when the screen is black but they are there.. What do I do? What number for moto? I don't want it to randomly get worse.. Then boom, totally shot.

wolftracer

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
delco714: I don't think those are cracks. They are just slight defects from the type of screen. I had those too and was going to return the phone, then I dropped it and the inside lcd broke.
I ended up using Asurion who charged me the $100. Seeing this I should have contacted Moto first. I had a spare phone to keep me going until I could get the Razr fixed by Moto.
Next time I will try that. There wasn't a single mark on the phone. It was a free phone in a radio station giveaway so the $100 was ok. (even though 6 months earlier I had paid 299 for my Charge)

Brandermill533

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was looking to get the Razr, but these stories about cracked screens have almost turned me away. I usually just carry my phone in my front pocket and I always have a case and screen protector for my phone. I can't say that I have never bumped into a table or leaned over to pick something. I would hate to think movements like that would cost me the time, money, and effort to repair the device. I am wondering if the Bionic would hold up better. I am looking at that phone as well as the Rezound.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo