Headphone jack not working

nikolasmason

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Razr since December, and ever since then the headphone jack hasn't been working. I remember back then a Motorola person said it'd be fixed in a software update. But alas, new updates have done nothing and new Razrs running the same software have working headphone jacks. So I contacted Motorola again and they told that rebooting the phone would fix it, but again, that does nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I put any sort of headphone into it, it doesn't recognize that something is plugged in. It simply continues playing sound out loud.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem about 2 weeks after I got my phone. The original jack never seemed to accept the plug correctly. Verizon swapped it out for a new one.

Cpt Spau1ding

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My jack was fine for a while, then one day it started getting really finicky. It would work, but the slightest movement would make it think it was unplugged. It would automatically pause the music. No lint. It was like it was losing connection in there somewhere. I had to have the phone replaced.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue, and I blew the jack out with compressed air, so no lint. There's something fundamentally wrong here.

If I plug the headset in, the sound continues to play through the phone's speaker -- as if the headset is not there.

However, if I give the headphones connector a brief, firm press into the jack, it seems to detect the connection and correctly start feeding sound through the headset. I don't have to continue to hold the connector in the phone or anything, just a brief extra-push into the jack (which is a bit disconcerting anyway), and the headset continues to play normally from there on.

Seems like the phone is detecting the connected headphones at the back of the jack. It's as if maybe there are some headphones with the connector not as long as others (though you'd think this would be very standardized by now). Or the parts used in the RAZR for the jack have some bad batches where the detection requires more length on the male plug (no comments, please ;) ).

Disconnecting the headset functions as designed.

-AJ

Last edited:

tdubrpdx

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if this is a Motorola design flaw. I have experienced this problem from time to time on my RAZR, although I can get it to work with some effort. I remember having the same issues with my Droid X. Apart from the spotty headphone connection, occasionally the voice command prompt will popup with the phrase "Please say a command."

I never had these issues when I used a HTC phone.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if this is a Motorola design flaw.

Not sure if that's so. My D2G worked fine whenever I tried it.

I could see this as being more of a "big deal" to others, who maybe commute or want to listen to media daily working-out or something. Fortunately for me it's a once a week (if that) kind of need, so I'm not rushing to get mine replaced just for this. Big deal or not, it seems like something that should be pretty foolproof in 2012! ;)

Jorypants

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I dunno guys. I was skeptical about lint to. I mean, I barely find any so why would it be in there. And i was shining the light as best as I could but there wasn't anything in it. I grabbed a bobby pin and poked around, sure enough there was a tiny lint ball. Try it out. It took me five minutes and i almost gave up but one came out and now they work perfectly. And they haven't worked in so long.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/120382-headphone-jack-not-working-all.html

lintroller

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I am having headphone jack issues, and it is an extremely frustrating experience. I have attempted to use a very tiny paper clip and a tiny pin to no avail. My next step is to try compressed air, hopefully that will do the trick. *fingers crossed*

SpyglassSally

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I am having headphone jack issues, and it is an extremely frustrating experience. I have attempted to use a very tiny paper clip and a tiny pin to no avail. My next step is to try compressed air, hopefully that will do the trick. *fingers crossed*

I'd be careful about sticking anything in there and trying to dig it out. I know that's a common approach but there are some delicate connections in there.

Your compressed air might work. When I had this my husband used a fine drill bit and carefully twirled it to grab the lint.

Good luck.

Todd Mueller

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Droid Razr Maxx: Thank you! Although the plug would click in, no audio was passing through. After using a LED flashlight, I saw the lint at the bottom that must have been preventing the leads to contact the plug. I powered down the phone and used a very very small drill bit to loosen/grab the ball. The phone was held upside down so the lint ball would fall out. The phone was powered back on and the plug was inserted for a test. The connections made contact. Thank you again.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, and fixed it thanks to this thread. The next step was to buy a jack cover from amazon.com. It was $0.02 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Sold for an iPhone, but works just fine. It sticks out a little, which is fine, I have the phone in a rubber case. It has a little pin at the end to remove a sim card.

So, now I have a clean jack, and it stays clean when it is not in use.

Fest911

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm on board now, thanks to this forum. My first thought was, "are you kidding me... denial of support because of supposed lint, what's next?"

I used a mini-mag light with a fiber optic attachment and sure enough, I could see a small patch of lint at the bottom of the earphone jack. Used a pair of long needle nose tweezers to grab it, then used a pipe cleaner to fish out loose lint and clean the contacts. Finished up with compressed air, and now my headset works great!

(As a hint to others, compressed air might be tempting to start off with, but I would suggest trying to get as much lint out before blasting the hole with compressed air because you can force lint and other debris deeper into the receptacle.)

bolte7

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issues with mine and I read that it could be lint. I looked inside but couldn't see much. I took a paper clip and scratched at the bottom of the jack and to my surprise, I was able to scrape out about a pea size lint ball. Guess it was pretty compacted after a couple of days trying to jam the plug in. Headphones work great now!

mthorn79

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm am also a victim of lint, except mine wasnt lint, mine was a desintrigrated recipt from the washer and it was not only compact it was hardened and really stuck in there. Took me 10 min scraping gently with a paperclip to get it. Had the same thing in my charging port. Once removed, just like new again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08