Android Auto not working right

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having problems getting Android Auto to work on my car's screen. This is a recent issue. I don't have a new car and its been working fine up until now. I did get a new phone (Flip 4) at the end of August. Previously I had the Flip 3.

Thursday when I went to use it for a trip the screen was blank. I plugged in it as usual and I heard the connection beep on my phone and the phone was charging but nothing on the screen.

I tried restarting my phone. Nothing. I tried two different cables...nothing. I think what eventually worked was un-installing the Android Auto update and/or reinstalling the app. After doing that when I hooked it up to the car the car screen then came up with the update button. After that it worked...temporarily. It worked the next day on the first leg of my trip back home. I stopped for dinner and when I plugged the phone in and started my car it was gone again. The next day, after I got home I again removed the update and went through the update procedure on my car screen once again. Now its working...but for how long? I will be plugging in and trying it every time I drive now and checking.

I think it has to be a problem with the Android Auto app and its update and my new phone. Is anyone else having a recent problem with Android Auto?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link to that article. I never had this problem with my Flip 3. I was out running errands this morning, had about six stops to make. I plugged in my phone to see what happens today. Every time today Google Maps popped up as it should. I am just going to have to plug in the phone every time I am in the car and see what happens. Maybe it won't happen again. Maybe it will.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Glad I found this portion of this site. I've been using it for my S-21 Ultra and I just bought a vehicle with Android Auto on it two weeks ago. While I find the technology confusing (older dummy here who is not up on much of this technology) I did get it paired. I prefer to use Waze vs Googlemaps and I prefer Sirius XM over the Pandora which AA seems to want to make default. But I can handle all that. Today for some reason the phone disconnected and now I cannot get the Android Auto button back on the bottom of the screen which I hit and it shows me Waze. AA connects when I start the truck and I can find AA in the Apps part but cannot get it back at the bottom of the screen nor can I use Waze on this screen. It works only on my phone now (Waze) whereas it quit working on the phone when I hooked the phone to the truck a couple weeks ago.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
There are a couple of different threads in here about Android Auto problems. Seems it was more flaky for Samsung phones a bit ago, but maybe now better (or maybe not yet for all). The USB cable seems to sometimes be the issue.

EODK9Trainer

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
There are a couple of different threads in here about Android Auto problems. Seems it was more flaky for Samsung phones a bit ago, but maybe now better (or maybe not yet for all). The USB cable seems to sometimes be the issue.

I read where the S-22 was the issue and was rectified. Didn't see anything on the S-21 but it would make sense it would be similar issues. I also purchased the Verizon cable to make sure I was using the recommended cord but even then my phone can connect wirelessly without this cord and the issue still occurred.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Follow up: Still having the problem with Android Auto working off and on. I'm trying to find a pattern, especially in how to get it to work again. So far no luck. I still think it has to do with the software and my Flip 4 somehow. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my car.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Follow up: Still having the problem with Android Auto working off and on. I'm trying to find a pattern, especially in how to get it to work again. So far no luck. I still think it has to do with the software and my Flip 4 somehow. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my car.
I never found a pattern when I was having wireless Android Auto problem with my Samsung. Sometimes it would work, mainly it wouldn't. For my situation, it definitively eventually resolved itself after an OS update to my phone, with no updates/changes at the vehicle head unit. For the entire time I was having problems, AppleCarPlay with my vehicle and Apple phones of other family members worked flawlessly.