Using An Amp To Extend Wireless Signal By 50 Miles

thorax232

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking around at these amplifiers and cellular repeaters to try and get 4G on my phone. I'd have to be able to reach Kansas City from Centerview, MO which is about 50 miles. I'm just trying to use this as my regular internet because I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited plan and am currently using a highly unstable 3G for my internet.

Wilson Electronics has a few devices that promise this but of course I"m a bit skeptical. Has anyone use any of these things, preferably for the Razr and had a good experience. And if so what would you recommend. Of if you know of any other way to extend signal please tell me.

Thank you all for your responses. :)

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The Wilson amps are not very strong. We Tried using them in the oil field and they just don't work to be honest. The only amp I have found to work good are from cellular mate that's the name of the company. They costs about $700 to $800 dollars but u get what u pay for

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd be careful before I spent a lot of money on an amp, VZ seems bound and determined to end unlimited data accounts.

thorax232

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I know what you mean 3rdpig, my current usage is at about 31GB and the cycle doesn't end till June 12. I doubt the ol' VZ is too happy about that. And they'd love to be able to get $600 out of me on my next bill.
It's a constant battle to keep the network up, I use PDANet to hide my network usage, and the Fresh Network app to constantly reset it when I get kicked off.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I know what you mean 3rdpig, my current usage is at about 31GB and the cycle doesn't end till June 12. I doubt the ol' VZ is too happy about that. And they'd love to be able to get $600 out of me on my next bill.
It's a constant battle to keep the network up, I use PDANet to hide my network usage, and the Fresh Network app to constantly reset it when I get kicked off.

VZ would rather you go to another network than hand you a $600 phone bill. Huge phone bills are a PR nightmare and they rarely get paid and even when they do it's only after a boatload of hassle for them. Having you leave for another network gets rid of your excessive data usage, and transfers a problem to their competitor. It's a win win for them.

And while in the short term masking your usage let you get away with it, in the long term all it did was help VZ make the decision to end unlimited data for everyone, which sucks. I rarely use more than 3 GB a month, but when the cable internet went down, or when I was on vacation that unlimited was nice to fall back on. But those of you that insisted, sometimes just for grins and giggles, on using massive amounts of data (because unlimited means unlimited) it's now going away for everyone.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

People like you are the reason they are determined to end unlimited data. Thanks.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS!!! ;)

thorax232

May 26, 2012
Visit site
LMAO! I don't think so. Maybe you should actually read a thing or two because people like me are the reason the networks are growing so fast. You're whole perception on this is totally twisted. It's like saying business owners are job creators even though it comes down to the employees and customers. The owners goal is to make as much money as possible and hire as few people as possible.
Trust me, I have absolutely no option except for mobile broadband, and where I live Verizon is the only choice especially considering they have unlimited. And I'm not about to pay $50 per month and only have online access for one day.
Now get off your little high horses and consider every fact. There are people who need to make mobile broadband a reality and 4G makes that possible. But the network is small and only offered in large cities. In order to build this network quickly, companies must start charging to build the infrastructure. I guarantee the non-unlimited thing is only temporary. Because even now customers like me are complaining and making every offer possible in order to bring internet to us. You know, the people in super rural areas AND mobile. And guess what? Verizon and other companies are making promises, we'll be in your area soon, we'll have unlimited and you'll be able to move that network anywhere. I mean just look around and notice the new services/devices that are coming out. Verizon Jetpack, AT&T gateway... What the hell do you think that stuff is for?

And what kind of just goes off one people without considering a damn thing? Do you people do this in real life? How often do you get hit? It must be a lot, I'm surprised no one has shot you. It's a damn miracle you're still alive. SMH!

thorax232

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Aha! This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for! Thanks carter, there's probably thousands of these websites and very few of them offer a lot of information. But every little bit helps, thank you.

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Not a problem these people have been real good for me. Just call them up tell them what u need the will build u a unit that will work for what your needs are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of a booster on Planet Earth that will amplify a 50 mile away LTE signal.

That said, if you find anything successful, please report back, I'd live to be able to suck an LTE signal from 50 miles away. :lol:

The chances are pretty good that you'll have LTE by year end anyway.

Last edited:

thorax232

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Your right Fray. I'm sure I'll have it soon. =/ I just want it now! lol All of the 50 miles devices are 3G though, don't use LTE. I'll keep looking nevertheless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty