Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Curse word filter still in place... AFTER disabling it!

OK so I had to get my phone replaced (under warranty, thank goodness). My old phone didn't have any problems when I cursed while using the speech-to-text portion of the phone for text messaging.

However, the newer phone that I got now censors all the curse words that I use. (then all end up as "s***"). It took me awhile to figure out how to disable to offensive word filter, but I managed it (system settings -> language & input -> google voice typing -> uncheck 'block offensive words').

OK - that option is no longer checked. YET... the phone is STILL filtering out all my curse words. HOW do I change that?!?

Thanks guys and gals for your help,
    Chris

Default Re: Curse word filter still in place... AFTER disabling it!

you have to go under settings > my device >language And input > Voice search > under voice search, uncheck the box for "block offensive words". I hope that helped.

If your referring to the use of curse words on the forums usually ANY forum will have some sort of language filter. So regardless of what you enable on your phone it will be blocked at the forums, blogs, etc where language filters are in place.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

@ PMPaul627g. Did the OP say anything about forums?

@Andrew. I was having the same problem as Christopher, and yes, your suggestion worked! Thanks!

But he just said that he tried that and it is still censoring his words... I'm having the same problem is him right now... the offensive words block is unchecked yet it is still censoring the words....

I have the same problem, droidx2 used to swear like a sailor but just stopped the other day. Block offensive words is unchecked. I have tried checking un checking, batt pulls etc. I also added words in my dictionary still won't swear. I did notice if I launch the google search app and tap the microphone beside the text box it recognizes swear words and searches for them, and occasionally will repeat the word to me. Hangout app used to swear in voice to text but no more, and as I said block offensive words is unchecked and words have been added to the dictionary.

I agree I have done everything I know to do to fix the problem... and the thing that bugs me the most is that at all just started up out of the blue today.
    flampher likes this.

that box is unchecked and its still filtering the swear words

We arent in forums... this is just straight phone the phone texting... the box is unchecked and it still filtering the swear words

"Out of the blue". Heh.

Same thing here on two droid phones..... just started the other day out of nowhere.

Never heard "out of the blue" huh?...it's a pretty common expression, and I'm possitive that I didn't use it improperly....do you have nothing in the way of solving the topic that is actually being posted about?

Oh jeez, have you never heard the term "blue" as it relates to cursing? Get the stick out of your ******* *** (my curse filter is not a problem, obviously). Now whether the forum censors is something I'll find out shortly.

IOW, a sense of humor is a plus.

edit - Looks the forum doesn't even like mutant equines <g>

PS, the answer to your question is, of course I have. It hasn't come out of the blue.

Not sure if this is a Motorola thing?? A friend I text to on Hangout has HTC phone and it works normally

If you're using Google Now to send your texts, you also need to go into its settings menu and uncheck "Block Offensive Words" in Settings, Voice.

I unchecked that box when I first got the phone about four months ago, worked fine until last week, now not. Box is still unchecked, but thanks for the input.

Sounds like it's time for a factory wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by flampher View Post
    I unchecked that box when I first got the phone about four months ago, worked fine until last week, now not. Box is still unchecked, but thanks for the input.
    So you have it unchecked in both System Settings | Language & Input | Google Voice Typing and the actual app Google | <menu key> | Settings | Voice? You might have Voice Search as well, but both Google and Voice Search apps should share the same settings.

Just making sure . . . I had the same problem until I hit both of those. Now I can curse like a f*****g longshoreman.

Hmmmm... That's interesting, thanks. I can't find any settings for Google, or for that matter a Google app. I have Google Search app that comes with the keyboard with the little mic. To the left of the space bar. I use that and get censored, if I use the mic. Beside the text box it works fine. So I need to find the settings for the Google app. Ya think huh? Any more advice on where I might find that setting. I have looked and looked for another one. My voice search app does work perfectly for cursing.. Thanks again for any input. It's just bugging me for some reason

First . . . what version of Android are you using? You mentioned you have a Droid X2; I don't believe that was ever (officially) updated to ICS, and certainly not JB. So you might have better luck asking in an X2 forum (this one is for the Razr). I'm running a Razr MAXX with JB 4.1.2, so my experience may be entirely different from yours.

In my App Drawer, where all of the apps are listed (vs. the launcher, where only those apps I use often are displayed) I have an app simply called "Google," and another app called Voice Search. The first one is a blue square with the usual lower-case white "g" logo. The second one is the same color blue, with a stylized microphone in white. Don't confuse it with "Voice Commands," which is similar but has a black waveform passing behind the microphone. If you have either of those, launching it and then pressing the menu key should present you with the options I've referred to above. But if you're not on JB, all bets are off.
    Thanked by:

I had the same problem go to your keyboard and make sure the caps are on should solve your problem

I'm having the same issue however without the new phone part. It was working fine yesterday, but lately I've been having an issue with the voice to text deleting things after a short pause in speech. I was using swiftkey and though it was the problem so I uninstalled/reinstalled it and now on top of still having the original issue now I'm also having this issue as well. I've double checked and all of the swear blockers are un-checked, and I've rebooted and tried pulling the battery and sim and still not working correctly.

Edit: Galaxy S2 running 4.0.4 using Nova Launcher (if that makes a difference)

Quote Originally Posted by FoilagedMonkey View Post
    I'm having the same issue however without the new phone part. It was working fine yesterday, but lately I've been having an issue with the voice to text deleting things after a short pause in speech. I was using swiftkey and though it was the problem so I uninstalled/reinstalled it and now on top of still having the original issue now I'm also having this issue as well. I've double checked and all of the swear blockers are un-checked, and I've rebooted and tried pulling the battery and sim and still not working correctly.

Edit: Galaxy S2 running 4.0.4 using Nova Launcher (if that makes a difference)
    I'm on an Incredible 4GLTE, and I've been having these EXACT same two problems suddenly, and recently. I've also been having an issue with my browser homepage refusing to accept a new setting. Something is going on.

_Mike
    Thanked by:
    flampher likes this.

It seems like nobody here bothers reading your entire post. obviously you have unchecked the "block offensive words" box I mean you stated that in your original post...anyway don't bother doing a factory reset it is something to do with goog android. My phone has been set up the same dor about 6 months and only recently started censoring my talk to text. I checked that all settings were the same yet it still does it. if your phone isn't rooted you will get software updates automatically. I believethis is part of an update a ****ty one but still.
    Thanked by 2:
    flampher likes this.

Mine does it too, been going on for a couple of weeks, I have tried everything but nothing works ......HTC Rezound
    flampher likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast