Why is it so hard to share music or change the artist's name in the music player?

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been writing and recording alot of songs in isolation since this pandemic. I put the songs from my 4-track onto my laptop, then from there I put them into my phone. It comes up as "Unknown Artist", with absolutely no way to change that. Also, I cannot share any of my songs from the music player either. FB messenger, FB, text message, etc... it just says "file too large". So why won't it just let me COPY THE LINK so I can send it on any platform? And WHY won't it let me put my name on my songs as the artist?? What kinda loopholes do I gotta jump through.. or what kinda newfangled app do I gotta download TO SIMPLY PUT MY NAME on my song and SHARE it from the music player???? If LG V30 was walking down the street right now, I'd punch it in the face. Then I'd kick it while it's down. Then I'd pull out all it's internal organs and microchips. And finally, I'd [language redacted by Mod] on all the broken pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How are you recording the songs -- you're actually singing and playing them? Or are you using an app to write them and record them?

Use an app that can edit the embedded ID3 tags to make sure the artist, track titles, album title, etc. are correct. On a PC, you can use Windows Media Player or something like Media Monkey. There are probably Android apps you can use, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

If you're trying to attach the file to a text message, the problem is that there's a maximum attachment filesize limit for MMS, typically around 1 MB -- that's a limitation of MMS and your carrier, not Android per se. What you would need to do is upload the songs to your Google Drive (or some other cloud), then share them from there.

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
How are you recording the songs -- you're actually singing and playing them? Or are you using an app to write them and record them?

Use an app that can edit the embedded ID3 tags to make sure the artist, track titles, album title, etc. are correct. On a PC, you can use Windows Media Player or something like Media Monkey. There are probably Android apps you can use, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

If you're trying to attach the file to a text message, the problem is that there's a maximum attachment filesize limit for MMS, typically around 1 MB -- that's a limitation of MMS and your carrier, not Android per se. What you would need to do is upload the songs to your Google Drive (or some other cloud), then share them from there.

I'm actually singing and playing them. I write a song, then pick up my guitar or bass and record it on my tascam dp-004. Maybe smartphones aren't designed for people who try, or have something to say to the world. Just mindless clickers with their heads down, spinal chords exposed to the Sun. Anyway, thanks for the response and advice. Windows media player allows you to change certain fields in the song, but sadly you still can't change artist name. And Google Drive is a better way to share, but even there.. you can't put artist's name either. So if Google Drive was walking down the street....

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I use this app to tag my mp3 music on my phone. I uploaded some music from my laptop without it being tagged properly. This app made it easy to edit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedomlabs.tagger.music.tag.editor

Thank you. I downloaded it and tried to change artist's name on one of my songs .. but it looks for record label and signed artist details from the web. It couldnt, and certainly wouldn't let me put my (unknown) name on my song. Thanks anyway, got excited for this , at least for a short while.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually singing and playing them. I write a song, then pick up my guitar or bass and record it on my tascam dp-004. Maybe smartphones aren't designed for people who try, or have something to say to the world. Just mindless clickers with their heads down, spinal chords exposed to the Sun. Anyway, thanks for the response and advice. Windows media player allows you to change certain fields in the song, but sadly you still can't change artist name. And Google Drive is a better way to share, but even there.. you can't put artist's name either. So if Google Drive was walking down the street....

Have you tried Media Monkey on your PC? The free version should still let you edit the ID3 tags. It's odd that you can't change the Artist field with WMP -- what about the Album Artist field?

Realistically, despite the huge advances in mobile tech over the last 10 years, there are still things that are better done on a bigger rig, like a PC or Mac. They're still called "phones," after all.;)

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried Media Monkey on your PC? The free version should still let you edit the ID3 tags. It's odd that you can't change the Artist field with WMP -- what about the Album Artist field?

Realistically, despite the huge advances in mobile tech over the last 10 years, there are still things that are better done on a bigger rig, like a PC or Mac. They're still called "phones," after all.;)

You are right.. It's definitely odd you can't simply change the artist's name in WMP, but you can't. I guess it wasn't designed for original artists like me and what we're trying to do. Just a cold hard fact I gotta deal with. Thanks for the suggestion of Media Monkey, I'll check it out. But I gotta use my phone. I have no internet connection. I use my laptop only for transfer of my songs from the 4-track. Then, plug the phone in and put the songs into the music file. ..And from my phone, I should be able to do a world of things. But I can't. Can only view and listen to my songs in the music app.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The factory installed music player on the LG phones does not support editing of the ID3 tags. Unfortunately the LG music player is just too basic for that. I do what little ID3 editing I need to do on my PC before transferring the MP3 files to my phone.

I am sure there are third-party Android apps that will let you edit the ID3 tags in the MP3 files, but I have never searched for those apps.

Ned Squiggly

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
The factory installed music player on the LG phones does not support editing of the ID3 tags. Unfortunately the LG music player is just too basic for that. I do what little ID3 editing I need to do on my PC before transferring the MP3 files to my phone.

I am sure there are third-party Android apps that will let you edit the ID3 tags in the MP3 files, but I have never searched for those apps.

I have searched for them. What I found so far are apps that can edit the song information by searching and finding artist information that is already on the web.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej