Phone charging funny, now won't charge

hannahhoney1927

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So mistake number 1, I got a used razr. I know. The person told me it was brand new and they only used it for a week but decided to go with a different carrier so they were selling the razr.

Right when I got it I charged it, activated it and it worked just fine. That night I plugged it in when I went to bed about 10 it was at 5% battery...woke up at 330 AM and it was again at 5% battery but said it was still charging. I moved it to a different outlet and when I woke up at 5:30 it was at 40% battery. Unplugged it when I left for work, it dropped to 30% battery and I plugged it in at work to try to get it to fully charge. At this point the charger dock was getting really loose and touchy to where I had to adjust the cable just right when I got it to charge. At work for 2 hours it stayed at 30% battery. Took the phone home, plugged it in (still at 30%) and left it for a few hours when I went to class. Came home on my way to work, still at 30% battery. Wouldn't charge at work, tried different chargers and outlets, finally took it to Verizon. They couldn't get it to charge either and suggested that I run the battery to 0% and try charging it. As soon as I left the store the battery level jumped up to 50%...WHAT?! Tonight it died, and it was plugged in for about 3 hours....still says 0% an won't turn on. Any experts out there? I have a call in to a tech person locally to see if he can do some work on it...but I was hoping there was something I could do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and oy, that sounds frustrating. The first thing I'd suggest is just to leave it plugged in for at least 12 hours straight and leave it alone--don't check it, don't unplug it to use anything else, just let it charge. I've seen this kind of thing happen with one of my tablets, but I can't explain why. However, it is pretty suggestive of either a faulty battery or a battery near the end of its life.

If this is an original Razr (and not a Razr HD), it's hard to believe that it is "brand new," since the phone came out more than 1.5 years ago. It may be true that the seller only used it for a week, but if it was only for a week a year or so ago, that means it's been sitting unused for that long, which can be really detrimental to a battery if it isn't being regularly charged.

hannahhoney1927

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion! It has been plugged in all night, 12+ hours and I went to check it and it wasn't even charging. Could that be a loose connector port possibly? I have tried different chargers and each one seems to do the same thing. I'm just frustrated now :( Also wondering if they bought the phone "new" but refurbished.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87