Steinheil Screen Protector Discussion

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just put on the Steinheil Ultra Crystal and it is crystal clear. No rainbow effect or anything. Covers 99.9% of the screen.

The only thing is that its not as easy to glide my finger across it as it was on the VZ ones. Its not bad by any means. You can just feel some resistance as you slide your finger over it. It might just take some getting used to.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Need some help. I can not seem to make up my mind on a screen protector so I still have the original piece on there. From what everyone is saying it seems like the two best are the Zagg IS and the Steinheil. And then within the Steinheil there is the Ultra Crystal and the Anti-Fingerprint one.

Any suggestions? Which is better? Which is easier to install?

I bought both - but only actually installed the Crystal. I opened the Anti-Fingerprint and held it up to look thru it - it's horribly cloudy - almost like the privacy glass you see in bathrooms and I can't imagine what it would do to the beautiful screen the X has. I'm returning mine for a refund.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine is lifting around the edges and the company will not respond to my emails...
Odd - they were fast in replies to my email about returning the anti-fingerprint ones I got. Did you happen to touch the outer edge of the crystal more than normal while applying it? Mine hasn't shown a bit of lifting. Hope you get it worked out.

klebron23

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Just installed SGP Steinheil Ultra Clear...it is great! You can't even tell there is a screen protector on, clarity and touch are pretty much unaffected. Highly recommended!

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
just got my SPG crystal in the mail today. going to put them on tonight..
I'll post a review when done.

so 2 thumbs up for the SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector

I ordered 2 kits, one for mine and one for my wifes X

I had thought, I would end up with 2 spares.
But I did end up using all 4. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this (really I just can't stand the site of imperfections)

So while I didn't really screw up the install, it just wasn't perfect. One had a small spec of dust and when i tried to get it out, i scratched the inside of it.. so I just used the other.
Same thing on my phone. when I used the squeegee I applied to much pressure and nicked the edge. soo i figured what the hell and burned up the 2nd one.

Lucky for me they give you 2 per pack.
I should note, I did go into the bathroom and run a hot shower. I cleaned the sink and washed my hands.
I laid a clean towel down on the edge of the sink and used a can of compressed air to make sure there was no dust.
I think the hot shower method really helps keep the dust down.

The visual results are great. You really have to look close to see that it has a protector. I had to align and realign a bout 30 times on each phone, to get it just right. it seemed it would run a little to the left or right.. so lift it up and try again.. etc etc.. Finally I got them to sit perfectly.

So while it looks good, I was (at first) unhappy with how much drag these had on them. I was thinking, I really really hope these "slick up"
and after a little bit of use , they did.. smooth as glass now.

So I'm very happy with them and will recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:

TaylorsCock

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
dvader (SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector), thanks for your response. I just ordered this product off ebay last night. I'm much like you, a perfectionist. I'm thinking that I'm probably going to turn what should be a 10 minute project...into a 2 hour project. Oh well...I'll make it fun!!
Thanks for the review!

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
BillK,

Though I like the matte feel under my finger, I will be replacing with a Crystal. I loved how easy it was to put on, I just don't like how fuzzy every thing is. I'll use it till the Crystals arrive, but they won't be staying.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
dvader (SPG Steinheil Crystal Screen Protector), thanks for your response. I just ordered this product off ebay last night. I'm much like you, a perfectionist. I'm thinking that I'm probably going to turn what should be a 10 minute project...into a 2 hour project. Oh well...I'll make it fun!!
Thanks for the review!

cool - no problem.
Some more tips (if it makes sense)
really really try to be dust free.. you'll end up with 1 spec under it and it will piss you off and not look right. so try the hot shower method.

use the cloth that comes with it to polish up your phone and some compressed air if you have it.
the protector comes in 3 layers. the outer layer, the middle protector itself and the adhesive cover.
so you peel back the adhesive cover about a 1/3 of the way and make sure your not touching the underside of course and just let the adhesive cover roll down the screen as you lay it down it will move further and further down.. if it's not lined up right just walk it back up. it will stick back to the protector and not cause you any problems.. it's kind of thick.

Once you got it sitting just right, run it all the way down and I wouldn't really use the squeegee to much.. use the cloth to push out any bubbles.
the outer "skin" is really thin and comes off easy and if you mess it up before you have the protector in place, it can get distracting. once everything is in place, peel away that outer skin and polish it up.

like i said at first it will have allot of drag on your fingers.. but give it a few hours and it will be like it was never on there..

I got my droid launch day and I've been paranoid that me or wifey was going to scratch them up (mostly her) so I was excited to get these on last night and they turned out great.

oh and if you do get a hair, or particle of dust or whatever and you need to get under it to get it out.
use a razor blade and carefully lift a corner, the kit comes with 4 "dust removal stickers" so lift a corner and then use one of those sticker to stick to the object and then peel away (careful not to get finger prints on the inside)
I had some strand of faint fabric under mine last night after i got it just right and when it didn't polish away, that's what i did and it sucked it right off.. no problem.

TaylorsCock

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have put your installation recomendations in a word document and printed them!
Now, if I can just find a pocket friendly case recommended...I'd be in heaven! LOL

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I put on my SSP Ultra Crystal a couple days ago and here is my review: (for whatever its worth)

Clarity - A+ (Screen looks as it says "Crystal" clear)

Glide - B (There is some resistance when I glide my finger over the screen)

Coverage of screen - A+ (99.999% of the screen covered)

Smudges/Fingerprints - B-/C+ (It smudges and you can see fingerprints. Its not so noticeable when doing stuff but if the screen is black then it is very noticeable just how dirty it gets)

Overall - B+

I wish the screen felt a little smoother and the smudges/fingerprints didn't show up so easily. Overall I am satisfied.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah mine only took a few hours and it's so smooth now I can't tell it's on there.. my wifes phone took about a day and now her's is the same..

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
heres what the Steinheil Ultra clear looks on the DX (my phone is on the left with the red silicone like case) and Verizon anti-glare shield (the other DX without the case is my husbands')...

I like the Steinheil way better because it looks like there is nothing there compare to the verizon anti glare....and im sure there is a lot of review regarding this but i thought id share what i thought about these screen protectors....

DSCF0184.jpg

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
heres what the Steinheil Ultra clear looks on the DX (my phone is on the left with the red silicone like case) and Verizon anti-glare shield (the other DX without the case is my husbands')...

I like the Steinheil way better because it looks like there is nothing there compare to the verizon anti glare....and im sure there is a lot of review regarding this but i thought id share what i thought about these screen protectors....

DSCF0184.jpg
I certainly hope that day planner the phones are on is being retired now that you both have X's. ;p