Best car dock that plugs into the cig lighter?

c0c0nutsp0rt

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I checked out ProClip but I don't like where they position the phone for my car. I think coming from the cigarette lighter is the best position in my car. So what are some good ones to look at? I also would like it to be some what universal so I can use it for other phones, mp3 players, etc. Also one that doesn't have a fixed charging cable. As in I can use a micro, mini, or any propitiatory cable. So one with usb outlets or just an open cigarette lighter outlet.

This one looks to be the best one so far but the 2 1/2 star rating makes me want to look for a better one.
Amazon.com: Kensington Power Port Car Mount for iPhone and iPod: Electronics

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just received the cig lighter car dock that I ordered off the ANdroid Central Epic store. Seems well built. Is not a dock that activates Car Dock automagically, though. Is just a holder. Will try it tomorrow and try to post results here.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
That's the one that doesn't charge the phone right? Is there one that does charge the phone while mounting there?

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I got iGrip from Android Central Store. No instructions included. Plugged it in, and was a VERY tight fit, BUT, the stand itself flopped all over. Tried to pull it out, and pulled out my cigarette lighter doing it! Even with pliers I couldn't get it out.

Eventually I figured out at that unscrewing the pieces relieved the inner wedging action.... but a simple set of instructions would have told me this before pulling out my cigarette lighter!

Bottom line - maybe it works. I won't know because now I have to have a cigarette lighter that won't go back in correctly, much less hold a phone dock.

Buyer beware!

(2009 Ford Escape Hybrid)