Is there a split USB cable for phone to charge from one source but data from another?

clh42

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I did a lot of searching of the internet in general. I found several posts that asked this basic question about PC peripherals, but nothing that addressed this specific use case.

The basic question, I want a split USB cable to charge from one source, but get data from another source, and combine those to go into my phone.

My use case...

I just bought a new car that has Android Auto. Android Auto, as I'm sure most of you know, requires plugging the phone in via USB to a USB port on the car.

Granted, this port also does provide charging, BUT...

I already own a Qualcomm "QuickCharge" type car charger that plugs into the 12 volt accessory outlet (cigarette lighter socket). This is a better charger than the car's USB port provides.

So I'd like to be able to charge from my own QuickCharge charger, but still plug in to the car USB port to use Android Auto.

I know that there are USB cables for PC accessories that provide an extra "A" plug for extra power, but the intended use of those is that both sources are still plugged into the same computer, so the USB ports share a common power source.

My concern with this is that the power source from the car's USB port for Android Auto and the car charger accessory I have are separate power sources. Will one short out the other, or short out my phone? I'd think it would need to be a special cable that somehow isolates the power lines from side to the other.

Thank you!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I could swear I saw a post very similar to yours about a week ago here. I don't know if there was a solution.

Shjacks55

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
There are YT videos to make your own. Really is a phone issue, most portable devices can chose "best power". Or car issue, is your car too old for USB3?. Most newer phones have USB 3 interface which hits 5 amps per spec which wireless chargers can't. REM most cables separate the power and data, but remember data lines also need ground connection.

Shjacks55

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
My phone connects to car using bluetooth so no wires for data. Surprised you use the USB wired connection. Most consumer "hands free" installations (required by some states) use phone's bluetooth for calls. Non standard problems often require custom solutions.

clh42

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone connects to car using bluetooth so no wires for data. Surprised you use the USB wired connection. Most consumer "hands free" installations (required by some states) use phone's bluetooth for calls. Non standard problems often require custom solutions.
Are you using Android Auto or Apple Carplay? Yes, my phone connects via bluetooth, but the point is that I'm wanting to use Android Auto. THAT specifically requires the data USB connection.

Thought about a wireless charger too, but wireless charging still isn't as good/fast as the "QuickCharge" charging.

My concern with a split cable is not so much the phone but that the the voltage from the 12 V car charger QuickCharge adapter feeding back into the vehicle's USB port and frying something. The car's USB port is 2.1 Amps, but at a constant 5 V. The QuickCharge can get up to, I think 9 volts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000