My phone went haywire!!

frostedunit

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a big issue. My phone went haywire this morning and the screen started changing colors from blue to red to black and so on. The keyboard would still work but the touch screen and capacitive buttons would not. No the phone only turns on intermittently and will not stay on for a long period. I need to take it back to Sprint, but I'm rooted and running SRF 1.2. I can only get it to go into download mode occasionally and Odin seems to be having trouble writing to the phone. I keep getting a fail message Line 1684. I need to get it back to stock, but I'm at a lose as to what to do next.

PLEASE HELP!!!

As a side note, I noticed that the water tell tale on my phone is white, but on my wife's Epic it is red. Neither have ever been wet to our knowledge. Which one is right?

Thank you!!

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: BIG Problems!!!!

I have a big issue. My phone went haywire this morning and the screen started changing colors from blue to red to black and so on. The keyboard would still work but the touch screen and capacitive buttons would not. No the phone only turns on intermittently and will not stay on for a long period. I need to take it back to Sprint, but I'm rooted and running SRF 1.2. I can only get it to go into download mode occasionally and Odin seems to be having trouble writing to the phone. I keep getting a fail message Line 1684. I need to get it back to stock, but I'm at a lose as to what to do next.

PLEASE HELP!!!

As a side note, I noticed that the water tell tale on my phone is white, but on my wife's Epic it is red. Neither have ever been wet to our knowledge. Which one is right?

Thank you!!
If you can get into CWM flash this [ROM][STOCK]ReRFS Format Stock ROM EC05 v1.01 w/ CWM3.1.0.1 - xda-developers

Also at the bottom you will see this:
"Tools:
epic4g.stock.recovery.ec05.zip
The Samsung stock recovery, for uninstalling ClockworkMod, useful for turning in the phone to Sprint.
Do not flash the stock recovery unless your phone boots into system, and you need to turn the phone in."
^Flash this after flashing the ReRFS Stock EC05 file.

This video from QBking77 shows how to do the above process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32dOsaIrdEc

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you!!

Don't pay much attention to those water indicators on the battery edge. I think if they are looking for water damage they are going to look at the hidden indicators inside the device not the battery. Those battery indicators are a poor indicator because any moisture even sweat or a humid climate can affect that battery indicator... Mine went in for service red and also white over its lifespan...

If you are attempting to use the EC05 Odin tar then don't.... Use the Froyo EB13 Odin tar. Procedure #2. It is normally 100% fail safe. Also when you do use Odin if it still gives you a error then run the whole package without your battery in your device...

Pull your battery and connect via USB cable then boot into Download Mode and run the package.

Procedure #2 from the link below..

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Please report back and let us know how things went...

Good luck.

[tip]Edit: You can try dtm_stretch's recommendation but if your having problems with the device and can't get a functioning CWM or screen display issues then use the Odin method because its easily performed blindly.[/tip]

frostedunit

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I cannot access either CWM or download mode as the phone will not turn on at all now. My wife's cousin's husband works for Sprint and I called him to see what he could do for me. He has been unwilling to help me with anything in the past so we'll see how it goes. I'll just have to keep trying and see what happens. I'll update as necessary.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, I cannot access either CWM or download mode as the phone will not turn on at all now. My wife's cousin's husband works for Sprint and I called him to see what he could do for me. He has been unwilling to help me with anything in the past so we'll see how it goes. I'll just have to keep trying and see what happens. I'll update as necessary.

Is it possible the phone needs to charge?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

If you use the method I suggested by removing your battery pack and then plugging in your USB cable from your device to your computer then attempt booting into download mode. That will override the possibility of a low battery.

Reactions: dtm_stretch

frostedunit

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I tried my battery, my wife's battery, plugged in with and without the battery and no luck. My wife's cousin's husband was no help, so I may be down to taking it to Sprint with the custom ROM on it and hoping that they have as much trouble as I do getting it to boot.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Sorry to hear that dtm_stretch or I couldn't help. If your having this much difficulty booting the device I doubt sprint will put much effort into it. They will probably just try if once or twice and then order you a refurb.

Let us know how things work out.

Last edited:

frostedunit

May 8, 2011
Visit site

OK. I tried the phone again and it booted to the phone - ! computer screen. Got to download mode and Odined to ec05. Ran it stock for a while and then reflashed SRF. Now in certain apps the physical keyboard will double enter whatever I press. Any fixes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty