S24+ migration from S23+ went well... with a few lingering issues

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I received my S24+ order yesterday. Here's a summary of my migration experience from S23+ (both unlocked and on a US-based MVNO provider with T-Mobile 5G service):

TLDR summary:

• Overall build quality, display and performance are great
  • Battery runtime on 1st charge is exceptional
  • Nova launcher (current production one, not the beta) works fine
  • Wasn't charging when I plugged in and set it up (Smart Switch over wifi migration) and still sorting out what's going on
  • Secure Folder restored my apps however I cannot install new apps from Google Play Store (login fails and says my account is already logged in)

Details:

Noticed that my RAVPower 45W ultra thin PD USB-C charger did not appear to be charging the phone at all (it has worked flawlessly fast-charging my S23+). Tried the Samsung provided cable and same issue. Attached my Hyper Juice 100W GaN Dual USB-C charger in the interim and that got the phone charging.

Smart Switch over wifi did a good job and even brought over my Secure Folder apps (after I was prompted to proceed with that step).
Secure Folder apps work fine only, I cannot login on the Google Play Store to add other apps in the Secure Folder (errors out when I hit + and prompted to login on Play Store, stating the account is already logged in).

Unlike the dull S24 Ultra display issues some have reported, 24+ looks fine and an improvement over S23+

As with OneUI 5.1 and 6, Microsoft Intune did not automatically create a Work profile in OneUI 6.1 for my work apps. Some have had success creating it using
Oasis Island.

Still in evaluation about keeping it at ~$400 upgrade cost for more storage (that I don't really need), a somewhat better display that is (finally) on par with Ultra, slightly larger battery and some features that I won't use. Gesture navigation is my preferred approach and not well integrated with Circle to Search, Circle to Search requires Chrome (which I don't use), ...

The question boils down to how long will 8 GB of RAM on an S23+ on SD Gen 2 be viable compared to 12 GB and SD Gen 3 on S24+. My guess is longer than I'll want to hang onto the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter