CleanGB with MostlyStock theme?

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I flashed MostlyStock to my phone, and was impressed except for the fact the annoying "battery full" notification still appears :-( So I tried CleanGB, and so far am a big fan (it seems faster, though I don't know if that just a placebo effect). However, there are a few things I don't like about the theme of CleanGB, and was wondering if anyone could help me:

I like the general feel of CleanGB, but the theme left a couple of things to be desired.
1) I like the look of the battery icon - but I don't like how it doesn't display the % when charging
2) I like the CRT off effect, I think that's cool. But I hate the CRT on effect - it slows down (or at least seems to) turning on the screen, and I typically turn my screen on breifly just to see if there are any notifications. That effect gets really annoying really fast
3) I don't like how dark the theme is (notifications shade, dialogs, etc). (this is not as big deal to me though - I'm can deal with this but #1 and #2 are what I really would like fixed)

All of these issues, I liked how they looked/worked in MostlyStock. So, I had a few questions I was wondering if anyone would be able to help out with...
A) Is there any way to just flash the "theme" from MostlyStock? OR,
B) I flashed the Paul627g's "EI22 Gingerbread Stock Theme w/Battery Mod & CRT/Extended Power Menu Friendly" theme, which fixes my concern #3. But I preferred the battery mod from MostlyStock but haven't been able to find that specific mod anywhere (and the MostlyStock thread doesn't include a link to that mod). And I can't find any mod that turns off the CRT on effect.

Also, when I flashed that theme, I noticed the 1x/3g fix appears to have been removed. I assume I can flash just that mod, but are there any other goodies that might get lost when flashing a theme?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I flashed MostlyStock to my phone, and was impressed except for the fact the annoying "battery full" notification still appears :-( So I tried CleanGB, and so far am a big fan (it seems faster, though I don't know if that just a placebo effect). However, there are a few things I don't like about the theme of CleanGB, and was wondering if anyone could help me:

I like the general feel of CleanGB, but the theme left a couple of things to be desired.
1) I like the look of the battery icon - but I don't like how it doesn't display the % when charging
2) I like the CRT off effect, I think that's cool. But I hate the CRT on effect - it slows down (or at least seems to) turning on the screen, and I typically turn my screen on breifly just to see if there are any notifications. That effect gets really annoying really fast
3) I don't like how dark the theme is (notifications shade, dialogs, etc). (this is not as big deal to me though - I'm can deal with this but #1 and #2 are what I really would like fixed)

All of these issues, I liked how they looked/worked in MostlyStock. So, I had a few questions I was wondering if anyone would be able to help out with...
A) Is there any way to just flash the "theme" from MostlyStock? OR,
B) I flashed the Paul627g's "EI22 Gingerbread Stock Theme w/Battery Mod & CRT/Extended Power Menu Friendly" theme, which fixes my concern #3. But I preferred the battery mod from MostlyStock but haven't been able to find that specific mod anywhere (and the MostlyStock thread doesn't include a link to that mod). And I can't find any mod that turns off the CRT on effect.

Also, when I flashed that theme, I noticed the 1x/3g fix appears to have been removed. I assume I can flash just that mod, but are there any other goodies that might get lost when flashing a theme?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Can you post a screen shot or two of the battery meter your talking about... I could take a look and see whats under the hood and possibly incorporate that battery mod or something into my stock theme to knock at least two of the options off your list... Possibily even the CRT ON....

No promises but I can take a look for you.

Yes when you flash a theme it can override whatever is currently in the setup on your device. At the time I did that Mostly stock EI22 theme with the battery mod/extended power menu compliant they hadn't dropped the fix for the 1x/3g so it wasn't incorporated. I can also see if that can be incorporated if I think I can come up with a fix for your other problems.

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a screen shot or two of the battery meter your talking about... I could take a look and see whats under the hood and possibly incorporate that battery mod or something into my stock theme to knock at least two of the options off your list... Possibily even the CRT ON....

No promises but I can take a look for you.

Yes when you flash a theme it can override whatever is currently in the setup on your device. At the time I did that Mostly stock EI22 theme with the battery mod/extended power menu compliant they hadn't dropped the fix for the 1x/3g so it wasn't incorporated. I can also see if that can be incorporated if I think I can come up with a fix for your other problems.

Hey Paul627g, thanks for the reply!

Here's the battery meter from MostlyStock:

View attachment 18915

View attachment 18916

When plugged in, the display flashes between the % and a plug icon (personally, I would prefer to always see the %, and have something like a little lightning bolt or plug in a corner when plugged in, but the flashing between % and plug icon is fine as it allows me to see the % when plugged in and that's what I really want).

Thanks again!

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul627g, thanks for the reply!

Here's the battery meter from MostlyStock:

View attachment 18915

View attachment 18916

When plugged in, the display flashes between the % and a plug icon (personally, I would prefer to always see the %, and have something like a little lightning bolt or plug in a corner when plugged in, but the flashing between % and plug icon is fine as it allows me to see the % when plugged in and that's what I really want).

Thanks again!

Hi again,

Before you start digging in to this too much, I want to test drive these ROMs a little more. Yesterday, I played with them both a little, but I think now I should try each for a full day to see what they are like in "normal" use ( yesterday was more like Xmas day, with this whole new world of root and custom ROMs at my disposal :) ).

After going back to MostlyStock this morning, I found out that
1) the battery charging animation, though it does show the %, actually more annoying than I originally thought
2) even without the CRT on animation, there is usually slight delay turing on the screen. I still don't like that CRT on animation, but it may just make it feel like there is delay turning on the screen - the delay may not be much different as without the animation.
3) maybe I actually liked the CleanGB dark theme...I suddenly feel like I'm missing it.

So maybe I was too impatient, and need to test drive each ROM, for at least a day, under normal usage to see what I like and don't like and what I can't stand :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi again,

Before you start digging in to this too much, I want to test drive these ROMs a little more. Yesterday, I played with them both a little, but I think now I should try each for a full day to see what they are like in "normal" use ( yesterday was more like Xmas day, with this whole new world of root and custom ROMs at my disposal :) ).

After going back to MostlyStock this morning, I found out that
1) the battery charging animation, though it does show the %, actually more annoying than I originally thought
2) even without the CRT on animation, there is usually slight delay turing on the screen. I still don't like that CRT on animation, but it may just make it feel like there is delay turning on the screen - the delay may not be much different as without the animation.
3) maybe I actually liked the CleanGB dark theme...I suddenly feel like I'm missing it.

So maybe I was too impatient, and need to test drive each ROM, for at least a day, under normal usage to see what I like and don't like and what I can't stand :)

No problem... Actually that battery mod is quite common. 99% of the battery mods you find you can get yourself by using a place called UOT Kitchen. Just Google it.

Its really not difficult to use, its aimed users that don't know the ins and outs of modding and doing their own theme work (which is fine). All you need to do is upload in your case since your running GB, the following three files pulled from the ROM zip file and then go through their customizing screens and pick and choose what you want for a theme/customizations....

Open the ROM zip file using WINRAR or 7zip. Navigate to the following location.

/system/framework/

Drag and drop the following 2 files to a location on your harddrive.

framework-res.apk & twframework-res.apk

Next go to this location in the ROM zip

/system/app/

Drop and drop the following file to the same location as the others on your hard drive.

SystemUI.apk

Now when you go to the UOT Kitchen it will have a upload section to upload your own files. Just place those correct files in the correct upload spots and then your on your way to making your own theme. You can select from dozens of battery mods, fonts, colors, boot animations, etc even do things like change the notification pull down area's colors, status bar and some more goodies. When its complete and you submit your work it takes anywhere from 5 mins to a hour and you can go to the pickup page and download the finished product. It will be in a "flashable zip" file that you can boot into CWM and wipe cache partition & dalvik cache and flash and enjoy your own creation.

I just suggest making a Nandroid Backup of your current setup before using your creation, so if its not to your likings you can revert/restore back to your original setup.

Doesn't sound to bad does it? Worth checking out....

Reactions: TheSkipperCDB

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
No problem... Actually that battery mod is quite common. 99% of the battery mods you find you can get yourself by using a place called UOT Kitchen. Just Google it.

Its really not difficult to use, its aimed users that don't know the ins and outs of modding and doing their own theme work (which is fine). All you need to do is upload in your case since your running GB, the following three files pulled from the ROM zip file and then go through their customizing screens and pick and choose what you want for a theme/customizations....

Open the ROM zip file using WINRAR or 7zip. Navigate to the following location.

/system/framework/

Drag and drop the following 2 files to a location on your harddrive.

framework-res.apk & twframework-res.apk

Next go to this location in the ROM zip

/system/app/

Drop and drop the following file to the same location as the others on your hard drive.

SystemUI.apk

Now when you go to the UOT Kitchen it will have a upload section to upload your own files. Just place those correct files in the correct upload spots and then your on your way to making your own theme. You can select from dozens of battery mods, fonts, colors, boot animations, etc even do things like change the notification pull down area's colors, status bar and some more goodies. When its complete and you submit your work it takes anywhere from 5 mins to a hour and you can go to the pickup page and download the finished product. It will be in a "flashable zip" file that you can boot into CWM and wipe cache partition & dalvik cache and flash and enjoy your own creation.

I just suggest making a Nandroid Backup of your current setup before using your creation, so if its not to your likings you can revert/restore back to your original setup.

Doesn't sound to bad does it? Worth checking out....

O M G ! ! That is AWESOME!!! I am trying my best not to drool :p

It looks like I can build the battery icon I want, tweak some colors, and basically get everything I want except removing the CRT on - that is so totally awesome!! I've seen others online say once they rooted they wished they had done it sooner - add me to that list! Thanks!

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I expect you found it already, but I had already bookmarked that UOT Kitchen link, so here it is for convenience: UOT Kitchen. It does look like a fairly easy way to customize relatively basic things to your liking. I wasn't sure how to get the system files to upload, but since you pointed out that they can be taken from ROM zip files, now I know. :) I'm on the Mostly Stock Rebuild right now and generally like the basic theme changes. I'm not sure how I'd like the CleanGB ones, but I might find out if I switch to that ROM -- being similar to stock, but with more mods than Mostly Stock, it seems like it might work well for me.

P.S. -- I also agree that it would be nice if more mods came with flashable zip files to undo the changes. For some reason, I kind of thought that would be a standard thing, but it doesn't seem to be.

TheSkipperCDB

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, I found UOT Kitchen, and that may just be the coolest thing I've seen. It rocks!

To sum up my issues:
* I was able to use UOT Kitchen to tweak the theme in CleanGB to my liking (changed the battery icon and a few colors). yay!
* but, I can't stand the CRT on animation. It feels like it takes the phone too long to turn on - I realize it's very little, but it's noticeable and adds up during the course of a day.
* So, after all that, I am now on MostlyStock, though I still used UOT Kitchen to tweak the battery icon ;)

Basically for me, it came down to which feature I hated less, the full battery notification (still enabled in MostlyStock) vs the CRT on animation (in CleanGB). I hate that full battery notification, but the CRT on animation annoyed me too much, so MostlyStock wins.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch