Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock/Deodexed Gingerbread EL30

Just as the title says...

Full credit & original thread/source goes to bbelos of xda developers

Android Central and its staff claim no credit to this only passing it along for you.

This is stock, deodexed + root baked in Gingerbread EL30.

- Since this is completely stock, it's still BML/RFS.
    - If you are on a Ext4 ROM, flash EXT42RFS.zip first.
    - Do not flash if you are currently on an MTD ROM, you must ODIN back to stock (See this thread)
    - Does not update the modem, you'll need to do that yourself.
    - Standard flashing procedure: wipe cache/dalvik.
    - It will not wipe data, so that's your call.

EL30-Stock-Root-Deodexed.zip
    Thanked by 3:
    TechnoGeezer likes this.
    The Rapper

ROM

Default Re: [ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock/Deodexed Gingerbread EL30

this erased my friends clockwork recovery and replaced it with the stock one. how do i get it back? using rom manager didn't work. thanks!

(sorry if its obvious, but samsung phones with their rootting process and recovery loading are complicated compared to the way HTC devices are. )
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Rydah805 View Post
    this erased my friends clockwork recovery and replaced it with the stock one. how do i get it back? using rom manager didn't work. thanks!

(sorry if its obvious, but samsung phones with their rootting process and recovery loading are complicated compared to the way HTC devices are. )
    [ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

You should be able to get away with flashing the CWM recovery from this thread using the instructions provided. Otherwise I would hit the source/link to the dev of this thread and see if they have a work around but I feel it will be similar to the same option I offered.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

The Rapper

ROM

thanks, i got stuck at flashing the recovery. kernel went trough, but recovery failed. now i get a sybol of a phone communicating with a compuer with an exclamation mark... any ideas?
    The Rapper

ROM

actually, it just passed. i thought i bricked it, but i found a thread that said to try booting back into download mode, and it went through. i feel like a noob trying this. im close to pro on htc devices

thanks! your help was BIG HELP!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Rydah805 View Post
    actually, it just passed. i thought i bricked it, but i found a thread that said to try booting back into download mode, and it went through. i feel like a noob trying this. im close to pro on htc devices

thanks! your help was BIG HELP!
    No problem... Sounds like you did a fine job
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:

ROM
    FD26, CyanogenMod 9

Install worked perfect for me. Made sure to wipe cache and restore first. Flashed both the ROM and the modem. Bread & butter process..... Perfect. Removed the Sprint crapware with Titanium. Restored all my apps with My Backup Root. The couple of problem issues I had with EI22 are now gone. The biggest problem I had using the EI22 ROM was the camera camcorder wouldn't record, and locked up the phone forcing me to reboot. But.... Now...... EL30 goodness baby!!!!! Hooo-raaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by jahsun; 01-31-2012 at 07:58 PM.

You can install Clockwork recovery by using Odin/Heimdall, or you can install it from the Clockwork MOD ROM Manager app (on the market).

If you still have problems with the wrong recovery loading, update your kernel to your favorite pre-rooted community kernel. You it is likely a known kernel bug that causes two different recovery installations to occur.

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Thanks for the info. I saw this over in XDA, too, so I'm aware of it. But I'm hoping that the Mostly Stock ROM I'm currently using will get updated. I want to keep the nice extras it provides (e.g., 1% battery, 1x/3G icon), and using this would eliminate them. I suppose I could find the individual mods and install them, assuming they all still work in EL30. But it would be easier to just use the ROM, since I read that an update is planned for it. I'm keeping this stock/deodexed option in mind as a backup though. There's still no easy modem update though -- it's a separate procedure? Any chance of that changing so that the modem update can be included in ROMs, etc.?

ROM
    CleanGB 1.1.2

i am waiting on mostly stock update too...is that really in the works?

ROM
    Syndicate Frozen 1.2

Hey Paul,

Can you help me out here I gave my Epic to my wife and I haven't stayed up to date with everything.

This is what i'm running:
    Firmware version nubernel-2.6.35-v0.0.1
    Baseband version S700.0.5S.EI22
    Kernel version 2.6.35.7-nubernel+
    Gingerbread.EI22.

So do I just apply update?

Thanks
    Chuck

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george1614 View Post
    i am waiting on mostly stock update too...is that really in the works?
    Yes, see xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][EI22]MostlyStock Rebuild | 11/17 -- xBTx must have gotten busy though, because that was posted about a week ago, and I haven't seen the update yet. If I missed it somehow though, please let me know. Hope this helps.

Paul & all Devs - Thanks so much for this. I had unrooted Gps_fix installed; tried to revert back to EI22 gps file to allow the OTA EL30 update not realizing that it would hang due to CWM. So I rooted & ran this after makinf Nandroid & TiB backups (belt & suspenders?). Super smooth, no probs. But now OTA wants to run again! Thanks to all! Now I have to update the modem.

Paul.

If understand this correctly, this will give me a stock ROM. If and how can I root from there? Thanks!

ROM
    FD26, CyanogenMod 9

It's already rooted. Just wipe and flash. Don't forget to do backups before you start also.

So if I'm on a stock/restored ROM with stock recovery, how exactly do I run this? Get CWM, then reboot into CWM and just apply this zip file? I've done lots of Odin flashes, but I'm not getting all of the lingo on this thread (sorry).

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS_ICS_V5

Any chance in getting this in an Odin tar file

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ROM
    FD26, CyanogenMod 9

Yes, do it from CWM.

Please help. I finally decided to get rid of that annoying update message, so I installed the el30 modem with oden, not knowing I needed a new rom too. My brother recomended this rom (his gf has an epic too and has done this) but after I flased it I was stuck on the samsung logo. I tried it again with the same result. I'm not sure if I have bml/fs or whatever. I didn't think I changed my filesystem or anything, but my nandroid backups save md5 files. I'm kind of a noob at knowing what md5 bml/fs mtd and ext4 are.
    -thanks

P.s. I'm using the stock acs recovery. Does it matter if its acs or clockwork? A recovery is a recovery, right? Also how do you know what filesystem you are using?

-thanks again
    Last edited by Bon Bons; 03-15-2012 at 05:24 AM.

First -- Thank You, Paul, for all your support!!!!!! Shortly after stock GB came out last year, I thought the likelihood of another update was very low, since it was such a long wait to get on GB. I needed WiFi tethering, and rooted with Paul's instructions w/o any problems!

[EI22][GINGERBREAD][EPIC 4G] Official Gingerbread Thread

Since then I've been on EI22 and getting tired of the System Update messages. Since this is my "daily driver" I had to wait until I had a little time to mess with upgrades...

I thought a ROM would be my solution and scoured the forums... most of them seem to be based on older updates (best I could find was EI22, which I was already on AND/OR require a filesystem change (which doesn't exactly sound like a quick change). I found a few that sounded like they'd get me up and going with minimal fuss:

Finally last night I found this post and thought it would solve my problems. Using the ACSRecovery 1.0.0.5 that resulted from my prior rooting efforts, I did a nandroid backup (after also having installed TitaniumBackup). I went under advanced and wiped the Dalvik cache once, then installed the zip.

Everything worked great!!! I was hoping to be up and running in minimal time and not deal with the headaches of reconfiguring/installing my apps (as I knew would be the case if I tried a ROM). It booted right up and nothing had changed (except of course the update).

[ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock/Deodexed Gingerbread EL30-about.png

Then after a few minutes I found out that I'm right back where I was.... There's ANOTHER system update! Apparently to FC09.

[ROM][CWM][EL30] Stock/Deodexed Gingerbread EL30-update.png

So now what? Based on this - I'm afraid that if I do take the plunge and try one of these ROMs, that I'll still have to deal with the constant system update notifications.

I did what was in this thread and got rid of the notification. I am apparently at the regular sprint post-update version and rooted.

Stopping FC 09 notification