ClockworkMod Recovery/ROM Manager Guide

pjjohn73

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're referring to the Reboot into Recovery Mode option in the ROM Manager app, it will not work unless you have flashed a custom kernel that is ROM Manager friendly.

You need to use the manual method. While the phone is off, hold the vol down + camera + power buttons.

I have followed the instructions closely. I have my Epic rooted. I have ROM Manager installed. I let ROM Manager flash Clockwork for the Epic. I have used the manual method (vol down, camera, power) of getting into recovery. But it just goes into the stock recovery, not Clockwork recovery. I have read quit a few forums and do not see what I am missing.

It seem that the Clockwork flash itself is not taking....

Any ideas?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You completed every step in the first post of this thread? I don't see you mentioning that you successfully flashed the kernel that allows ROM Manager to work.

Reactions: pjjohn73

pjjohn73

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You completed every step in the first post of this thread? I don't see you mentioning that you successfully flashed the kernel that allows ROM Manager to work.

Your correct, thank you. I was reading so many forums, and the one I was originally using did not mention that, and as I was reading more forums looking for help I did not realize I had not been to page one of this forum. My apologies.

I do have a different question to ask though. If I later choose to unroot and go back to stock. Could I use ROM Manager/Clockwork to flash the original kernel and recovery? It seems like if I flash either the original stock kernel or recovery then I would not be able to get into Clockwork Recovery to flash the other. So is the only choice to later go back to stock, is to use Odin and flash the entire stock ROM?

Also as I set right now "without" the custom kernel, but with Clockwork installed but not working correctly do to no custom kernel (still booting to stock recovery) would I be able to get OTA Sprint Updates? That may be my biggest reason for not going forward further, as I want to be able to get the next update when it comes out..

Anyhow sorry for the noob questions. I just got the Epic not long ago, and I am just trying to piece together all this stuff.

Thanks!!!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Use this to go back to a completely stock state. As for updates, XDA always takes the OTA updates and makes a custom flashable zip for modified phones, that shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: pjjohn73

kg6bki#AC

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Error Code...Need Help

I did the one click root with clockwork mod and now I'm using rom manager and get this error.when I try to load the rom I downloaded...

Opening Update Package Verifying Update Package E: failed to verify wholevflle signature E: signature verification failed Installation Aborted

Advice?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ROM Manager will not work without a custom kernel. Boot into Clockwork manually by holding vol down+camera+power after turning off your phone.

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
do you have AIM or ichat? would make this easier lol 5 seconds away from asking for your number or giving mine lol I know im SO close lol anyhow I used rom manger from the market to try to do it. part of the frustration is my phone doesnt seem to mount on a mac or windows n right now im on a mac, in rom manager when i press flash clockwork recovery mod select epic it says an error occured while downloading your recovery, I cant seem to restart in recovery mode from clockwork its stock android

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Others could be having the same problem as you, so I'd rather post it here for them to see :D

Your problem is that you can't simply use ROM Manager to install Clockwork. You need to use one of the two procedures in post #9.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you're using a Mac - hmm, well that's a problem. Both procedures require programs or scripts that run in Windows only. You'll need to get access to Windows. I have a Mac also, and I have Windows 7 installed alongside OSX that I use for all my Android hackery. You may need to postpone this until tomorrow, unless you can get to Windows now.

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I mean im using windows through vmware and even on my desktop now on windows but neither seem to see my phone this is driving me NUTS!!!!! I plug it in i Mount it n I cant seem to see the phone what the heck

hotis300boy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
everytime mounted or not it says device not found and I dont know what to do I must seriously have a horrible ass of a phone thats seriously bad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87