Aggregating info on Froyo Beta ROMs...

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Have done a lot of reading over the past week, and am still trying to aggregate information regarding bugs in the latest Froyo test builds... I am currently running BS 1.5 with a hero kernel, and while reasonably happy with it, am itching to make the jump to Froyo... can anyone that's made the move comment specifically about their setup in regards to the following bugs? Just trying to figure out if any of the chefs have been able to maneuver around some of these issues?

1) Does WiFi work?
2) Does wireless tethering work (or is that not possible till we get final build)?
3) Does GPS work consistently and well?
4) Does 4G data work?
5) Can you play music off SD card without static?

Thanks,
-A

jzh797s

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Running DK17 Modem and Quantum v1.5 ROM.

1) Does WiFi work?
- Yes
2) Does wireless tethering work (or is that not possible till we get final build)?
- Unknown
- Yes (The modem solved all of my GPS issues, consistently <=10m accuracy)
4) Does 4G data work?
- Yes (w/ DK17 Modem, no 4G w/ DK05)
- Unknown

Reactions: a_c_s

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply... if anyone else could chime in that would be great... would be helpful for those looking to make first jump over to Froyo, or those already on Froyo looking for a better/more stable experience...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Yes, using the Wireless Tether app. Wired tether is also built-in to Froyo.

I've been playing podcasts off my SD card everyday since my install. Sometimes my player (BeyondPod) will take a few seconds to start, but once started playback is great.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Have done a lot of reading over the past week, and am still trying to aggregate information regarding bugs in the latest Froyo test builds... I am currently running BS 1.5 with a hero kernel, and while reasonably happy with it, am itching to make the jump to Froyo... can anyone that's made the move comment specifically about their setup in regards to the following bugs? Just trying to figure out if any of the chefs have been able to maneuver around some of these issues?

1) Does WiFi work?
4) Does 4G data work?

Thanks,
-A

i feel the same with you. Been lurking and looking at all the different builds but not sure about any bugs. main thing is camera b/c i use my camera all the time. front and rear. among other things. Also anyone know where i can get the 2.1 radio pit and tar files incase i wanna go back to 2.1

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So with Quantum Froyo and DK17 radio you do not get any of the bugs listed at the top of the post? Mobile Hotspot (the rooted one) works, wifi works, GPS works, and 4G works? I guess the only other semi-major bug I read about was the side camera button on some ROMs not working properly with system lock, and activating the phone occasionally... is this bug present in Quantum?

Thanks again for chiming in... I think this thread will be useful for some currently on the sidelines...

Yes, using the Wireless Tether app. Wired tether is also built-in to Froyo.

I've been playing podcasts off my SD card everyday since my install. Sometimes my player (BeyondPod) will take a few seconds to start, but once started playback is great.

jzh797s

May 7, 2010
Visit site
When I upgraded from Quantum v1.4 to v1.5 I got a FC Loop caused by TwLauncher. There was nothing I could do except load Viper Rom, boot into the other launcher baked into that Rom. Went into settings and "Cleared Data" for TwLauncher, reloaded Quantum v1.5. Immediately went to settings and "Cleared Data" again, and it has not happened again since.

I believe it was Tasker that caused this, but after "Clear Data" I can run it w/o the issue.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
i just jumped over yesterday or the day before cant remember haha

but its pretty cool. already came in hadny with the flash. if you listen to the kevin and bean show and know what decembers all about then you may know what i mean.

only complaint i have is that the stupid search button takes you into a weird google search page, its the same as the 2.1 search, it just lags a second and doesnt seem like its integrated seemlessly - hiccups when it opens and i use my search button a lot so i notice the difference

EDIT: and yeah the camera works, i tested it out when i was messing around with the build. but i dont really take many pictures so i cant really tell you too much about it

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
4g does not work from what I can tell.

Using quantum 1.5 and could not get 4g data to work.
I can connect, but I can't transfer data.
With full bars can't do a speed test, and can't open up my home page in browser, still waiting for someone to reply on how to fix this or a rom that works...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm issues with 4G on Quantum as well... I got it working on Epic 2.0.01 but that ROM still has issues with android market either force closing or not installing apks... I'd really like to stick with Froyo but am not seeing much benefit to BS 1.5 which is what I was on before... I honestly expected to be a little more wowed with the transition...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think when the official release comes, everyone is going to be a little underwhelmed by the OS they have been wanting for so long. It's been built up way too much.