Why Froyo hasn't made it to the Epic

RENALDOK

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
This Explanation makes sense to me (I don't like it, but it makes sense)

https://www.phonenews.com/whats-the-holdup-with-froyo-updates-well-explain-14242/

Listed below:

f you have an Android 2.1 device, that was promised an update to Android 2.2 (Froyo), and hasn?t gotten updated yet, you might be ticked off. And, you have a right to be. But, we?ll explain what happened.
Please don?t shoot the messenger.
Early on, a bunch of devices got Android 2.2 upgrades. Those devices were high-profile devices that were supposed to get Froyo first. Devices like Motorola?s Droid and others, even while discontinued, were such high-volume sellers that offering Froyo was the least the companies could do. No, it isn?t the three year update history that Apple grants devices like iPhone, but it is at least the profile needed to give a device a two-year-contract lifespan.
Then there were devices like the Samsung Intercept. And Galaxy S. They had just launched. Resource-wise, giving them Froyo wasn?t seen as necessary early on, so developer resources were turned to other tasks (like Galaxy Tab). The idea was that Android developers could circle back and get Froyo builds running a month or two later.
And, they did. Froyo builds exist for Intercept and Galaxy S (continuing the example). We?ve even seen them leak for devices like Epic 4G. Then z4root landed? on the Android Market, no less.
The result was that Google had to fix the exploit in Android 2.2, with the resulting release of Android 2.2.1. By this time, the carriers had already taken on the Froyo updates written by these companies. And, they had no choice but to throw them out. When a security exploit becomes so gaping that Google accidentally approves the exploit to land on the Android Market, the carriers have no choice but to reject the update in testing.
That stalled release timeframe meant that the carriers had to start all over, testing, and testing, and testing. And, as you may know, that takes forever. Worse, it actually is less of a priority with carriers than getting new devices out the door, since most people don?t know their Eclair from their Froyo in the first place.
And, wait, it gets even worse. The devices that already got Froyo also have to be updated to Android 2.2.1. Which, is why you?re seeing small rollup releases for phones like Droid, all the way down to EVO 4G (see our last article). They all have to get Android 2.2.1, because they?re viewed as higher priorities? having shipped with an easily-rootable build of Froyo already.
So, now you know. We didn?t say it was going to be good news to know this, but that is where we stand on Android 2.2? .1. We?ll spare you Sprint and Samsung?s reply to our article, we basically gave our estimate of it above.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
this is total crap because the leaked version of FroYo DK28 for the EPIC is 2.2.1 already. Stop making excuses, and push the OTA version already.

awesomo4308

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
this is total crap because the leaked version of FroYo DK28 for the EPIC is 2.2.1 already. Stop making excuses, and push the OTA version already.

DK28 is buggy as hell. Do you think they should force a crappy update that will cause many many many many more people to get pissed that their GPS is faulty and battery drains even faster then the relatively very few who demand 2.2 who aren't willing to root?

I think as soon as we get caught up with froyo we'll be quicker to get gingerbread.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I will have to say, I'm not happy not getting Froyo on my Epic. But it more on principle than anything else.,

I rooted, tried DK28 and hated it. I had horrible, horrible battery life, and really saw nothing else positive about it except I could run Wireless Tether and use a few other rooted apps, while moving my dock around. But the battery life reminded me of why I almost returned this phone before the Sept 30 update. Something in there while doing toggle, DRM stop, etc., made my phone usable.

And I love this phone, the first one I have run stock, so rolled back to 2.1.

The reason it upsets me is that so many of these devices were sold, and they are great, but paying an extra $10 per month (x 2, I have 2) for no
4g, none in forseeable future, and then no one seems to care because they make more money on another phone, upsets me.

Thank you for a good explanation of why, but I don't have to agree with this. But if they would only communicate this, either Sprint or Samsung. Some info is better than none, if its technical, I think the base community
would understand, root, stay with 2.1, but just communicate and make us feel loved and wanted after we all bought the most expensive phone Sprint has to offer and pay the $10 a month tax. That is what Customer Service is about.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
DK28 is buggy as hell. Do you think they should force a crappy update that will cause many many many many more people to get pissed that their GPS is faulty and battery drains even faster then the relatively very few who demand 2.2 who aren't willing to root?

I think as soon as we get caught up with froyo we'll be quicker to get gingerbread.

I have not had any bug issues what so ever with DK28: TouchWiz 3.0, GPS is awesome (fast and accurate locks), Battery drain is about the same (YMMV), 4G works, camera works.

I did not have to root, used the simple Odin instructions (I did not root, or tether). Took less then 10 mins to transfer FroYo, did wipe my phone though. No big deal to re-download apps and set-up home screens. Kind of like house cleaning got rid of the apps i hardly ever used.

overall I am pretty happy, BTW applied FroYo to 2 EPICs (mine and my wifes) and they were both completely stock with DI18 when I applied DK28. Both phones have the same results listed above, maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...-three-procedures-fix-gps-problems-froyo.html

Many of us have a working GPS with Froyo, but if your GPS is not working after flashing Froyo, here are three procedures you can try. Note that this does not guarantee that your GPS will work even after you perform one or all these procedures, but it is something to try if you really need GPS working.

Procedure 3 - no flashing method & no root access required
Taken from this post on XDA:

"I was able to fix my GPS by downloading GPS Status from the market and reseting my A-GPS Data.
No flashing, no odin, no problem
Been using this rom for a few days now and have been very happy with it."

I used Procedure 3 to get my GPS working in DK28, easy as pie!!

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I concur - I'm very happy on DK28 and wouldn't mind staying on it until Gingerbread. I think the people having most of the problems were the ones that did not wipe their phones before installing Froyo or restored backups on Froyo from Eclair that caused conflicts.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Eclair was nice and I'm sure it was a big step up from Donut. Froyo is bringing alot more user customizing to the plate. I had some issues with the stock DK28, mainly battery drain but I think it was also I didn't give it long enough to balance out and calibrate the battery. Now that I'm rooted and running a custom DK28 ROM, my GPS is pretty solid, battery life is as good or better than Eclair and its running fast and almost 100% bug free.

Now that Sammy has gotten threw the big release of the Nexus S and the whole initial Gingerbread unveiling maybe they can quickly turn around and help Sprint and the other carriers of the Galaxy line get Froyo released to USA and setup for Gingerbread in the coming months.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So i take it once 2.2.1 lands on are epics we wont be able to root with z4root again? unless we use the leaked 2.2 update? If we cant use the z4root how will we re-root are devices?

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
So i take it once 2.2.1 lands on are epics we wont be able to root with z4root again? unless we use the leaked 2.2 update? If we cant use the z4root how will we re-root are devices?

someone will have to find a new exploit, who knows how long that COULD take but probably wont take long.

awesomo4308

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the point though that a vast majority of users aren't going to wipe and install manually but just let the automatic update do its thing?

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
or we just bypass it all together and wait on gingerbread. the base OS already runs smooth as silk on the galaxy thanks to the Nexus S. Once they get all the radios going the Epic will be running stock on gingerbread just fine. And we could forget Samsung once and for all.

Heck they just pulled the Froyo update for the Vibrant running on Bell because there were issues with it frying the internal memory. Froyo is Samsung's kryptonite.
someone will have to find a new exploit, who knows how long that COULD take but probably wont take long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699