Samsung Epic 4G Lag Fix: RFS to EXT4 for Froyo DK28

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing the same messages over and over here, with people thinking they've bricked their phones because they get stuck at the Samsung screen. Each time it is because they have installed Stock Froyo TK28, then unlocked it using CW3. The problem is that CW3 will convert your file system to EXT4, and Stock Froyo WILL NOT BOOT on an EXT4 file system. Guess how I know :-*

To root Stock Froyo DK28, use CW2.5 which will not mess with the file system.

If you screwed up and used CW3 with Stock Froyo DK28, use Odin to reflash Stock Froyo DK28 and all will be well. Use the instructions on this link:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...12-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

Someone make this a sticky before every newbie thinks they've bricked their phones.

The thing is that people should already know by now that CW3 turns your file system to ext4...I don't really see how that is hard to miss, when it states it right on the intructions, and im a n00b to this.
Btw edit your header abit because it will give off the wrong aspect.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing the same messages over and over here, with people thinking they've bricked their phones because they get stuck at the Samsung screen. Each time it is because they have installed Stock Froyo TK28, then unlocked it using CW3. The problem is that CW3 will convert your file system to EXT4, and Stock Froyo WILL NOT BOOT on an EXT4 file system. Guess how I know :-*

If you screwed up and used CW3 with Stock Froyo DK28, use Odin to reflash Stock Froyo DK28 and all will be well. Use the instructions on this link:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/epi...12-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

Someone make this a sticky before every newbie thinks they've bricked their phones.

I will mention this to Ragnarokx.

- First CWM (ClockWorkMod) or even being rooted is NOT required to upgrade to the "leaked" Stock DK28 Froyo.

- CWM is only once you have rooted your phone and want to flash (install) different roms/themes/kernels/add ons.

- CWM v3.0.0.5 states on the installation page in the Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks section says that you can ONLY use this version of CWM on custom ROMs supporting EXT4 Filesystem/CWM3.0.0.5. Since Stock DK28 Froyo is NOT a custom ROM and only a "leaked" version of the eventual official Froyo it requires the use of a different CWM in this case CWM v2.x.x.x. This is why people are getting the lockup at the Samsung logo.

As we always state about anything with rooting or use of modifying/altering your phone away from official builds, you take the responsibility into your own hands and Android Central will not be held responsible for your actions. ALWAYS READ EVERY LAST WORD WHEN PERFORMING ANY OF THESE ACTIONS IN THE GUIDES/HOW TO's PROVIDED. It will save you many headaches in the long run, possibly even a unrecoverable bricked phone.

More information on all this can be obtained in the Epic 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks section.

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for your concern. However, getting stuck at the Samsung logo after converting EXT4 is due to not following the directions - this is a problem with any how-to thread, and is not unique to the RFS to EXT4 conversion tutorial. If Step 3 and Step 6 are not ignored, there is no reason to get stuck at the Samsung screen:

3. Download the zip file of the ROM you want to flash, and place it on your phone's SD card.

6. Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4, so you're now ready for some EXT4 ROMs Note: if you try and boot your phone after converting to EXT4, you will get stuck on the Samsung screen. You need to flash an EXT4 ROM before booting, so proceed to Step 7.

narf

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well,I'm new to Android but not to flashing, having flashed my winmo phones hundreds of times. Yet I made the same mistake many others did and got stuck at the Samsung screen. I was lucky enough to figure it out quickly, but the instructions list CW3 and DK28 in the same section and don't make it obvious that CW3 will automatically change your file system to EXT4 WHETHER YOU WANT IT TO OR NOT. It's not clear that you should, or even can use CW2.5 to root DK28 if you want to stay stock. Regardless of how clear it seems to seasoned vets, look around and you will see lots of folks getting burned on this and being told to return their phones to Sprint.

I don't mean to sound harsh here, because ultimately I've gotten a lot of help by reading these forums. I'm just trying to keep a few folks from waisting their time on these common mistakes.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well,I'm new to Android but not to flashing, having flashed my winmo phones hundreds of times. Yet I made the same mistake many others did and got stuck at the Samsung screen. I was lucky enough to figure it out quickly, but the instructions list CW3 and DK28 in the same section and don't make it obvious that CW3 will automatically change your file system to EXT4 WHETHER YOU WANT IT TO OR NOT. It's not clear that you should, or even can use CW2.5 to root DK28 if you want to stay stock. Regardless of how clear it seems to seasoned vets, look around and you will see lots of folks getting burned on this and being told to return their phones to Sprint.

I don't mean to sound harsh here, because ultimately I've gotten a lot of help by reading these forums. I'm just trying to keep a few folks from waisting their time on these common mistakes.

- Nobody here at Android Central will tell you to go to Sprint over something that is of your own fault. Sprint will more than likely realize that the phone was altered/modified from its original build and consider it a void of warranty.

- What other visitors recommend is not anything we have control over.

- The quotes that Ragnarokx provided from the CWM3 thread and installation instructions are more than sufficient enough proof that you can not use this on anything but a ROM supporting EXT 4 filesystem.

- If people are in anyway unsure of what something does they should always post a question before proceeding further. Seriously, why would you take a $200 + phone and not be confident in what your doing is correct, especially something that is altering what makes your phone work. Period.

Not trying to be harsh here either but its simple, you are the one attempting these changes to your phone and nobody is forcing you to do it. When you overlook something that is written in the guides you can't turn around and try to blame it on someone else, its your own fault.

Its kind of like the old saying in wood or metal cutting, measure twice cut once. Read everything twice if need be because one mistake could make your phone a PAPERWEIGHT.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
don't make it obvious that CW3 will automatically change your file system to EXT4

Actually if you look at my previous post, that is explicitly stated in Step 6.

It's not clear that you should, or even can use CW2.5 to root DK28 if you want to stay stock.

ClockworkMod is not used to gain root access, it's used to flash ROMs, kernels, etc. You can root your phone without ever having Clockwork - z4root is great for that, if that's what you're looking for.

narf

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually if you look at my previous post, that is explicitly stated in Step 6.

ClockworkMod is not used to gain root access, it's used to flash ROMs, kernels, etc. You can root your phone without ever having Clockwork - z4root is great for that, if that's what you're looking for.

z4root seems hit or miss, I tried it many times and could never get it to work. that's why I went to clockworkmod.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually Clockwork is just bundled as an extra in the .bat file that uses the exploit to root your phone. A few months ago, running that .bat file only rooted your phone and you had to flash Clockwork separately.

I've been working on a new rooting thread that will have z4root, a root method to stay RFS, and a root method to convert to EXT4 all in one. Hopefully that will alleviate some confusion.

pnoydragon8

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
i tried to perform the last step in the forum..but i get this:

--installing: /sdcard/oneclickrootswm3.zip
finding update package...
opening update package...
installing update...
installation aborted.

??? any suggestion or advise would be greatly appreciated..thanks you guys..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its possible, people on here have done it.

If the 64 bit drivers don't work, try the 32 bit drivers.

Does it recognize your phone when you plug it in via USB for mass storage/charging?

LS2982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Need help bad

I updated my epic to froyo 2.2.1 and went to install the truly epic rebirth rom, i accidentely unplugged the phone after the ex4 install and now all the phone does when powering up is stay on the samsung screen. PLEASE HELP thank you in advance

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I updated my epic to froyo 2.2.1 and went to install the truly epic rebirth rom, i accidentely unplugged the phone after the ex4 install and now all the phone does when powering up is stay on the samsung screen. PLEASE HELP thank you in advance

i dont know alot about how the epic works, but are you able just to simply flash to stock using odin?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I assume you were using the OneClickRootCWM3.zip file to upgrade?

If so can you 3 finger boot into ClockWorkMod (volume down+camera+power) ?

If you answer is yes, then try flashing the TrulyEpic Rebirth ROM.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
i can get into the clockworkmod but i unzipped the rom file it wont load up

You are not supposed to UNZIP the ROM file. All you needed to do is download TrulyEpic Rebirth and place the zip file on your SD Card. Then go into ClockWorkMod and install the zip from SD card.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Clockwork v3.0.0.5 will automatically convert your filesystem from RFS to EXT4, so you're now ready for some EXT4 ROMs :D Note: if you try and boot your phone after converting to EXT4, you will get stuck on the Samsung screen. You need to flash an EXT4 ROM before booting, so proceed to Step 7.

7. Congratulations! The hard part is over - now all that's left is to flash an EXT4 ROM.
I take it from your description this is where you are stuck at.

mwalter

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

I AM new to flashing, and I found the instructions very easy to follow. The problem may be with some people that have experience on other phones not reading carefully because they think they know what's up. I read through everything twice before flashing, and found the process to be painless. And yes, it was clear to me that 1) CWM 3 would convert my phone to EXT and 2) I would need a compatible ROM on my SD before I ran it.

BTW, much thanks to Ragnarokx and all involved for taking the time to do all this - Respect!

Reactions: Paul627g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez