Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Galaxy Tab Email in Epic

My phone is running DK28 (stock), and is rooted. I got the apk, and odex files for the galaxy tab email, and I would like to install them on my phone. I tried using Astro to replace them, but it did not work.

Can this be done? How is it done? .

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

You might need to get it in a flashable zip format and flash it. Or add it to the app folder of whatever rom you want to flash. Just make sure you remove the old email app.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Quote Originally Posted by Robcy View Post
    My phone is running DK28 (stock), and is rooted. I got the apk, and odex files for the galaxy tab email, and I would like to install them on my phone. I tried using Astro to replace them, but it did not work.

Can this be done? How is it done? .
    First question for you.

- Did you upgrade to Froyo using the update.zip (SD Card) method or did you upgrade to Froyo using the Odin method?

Why I ask? Just to find out where you are in the Froyo DK28 installation.. You say your rooted, do you also have CWM installed? In your case CWM v2.x.x.x

Get back to me and we can get you a flashable zip or whatever you need to get you on the right track.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I installed the DK28 thru the update.zip. I then rooted with zRoot. I also have CWM which I did by Odin when I rooted.

I have the .apk and .odex files, but if you have better way I am all for it.

Thanks for the help.

I installed the DK28 thru the update.zip. I then rooted with zRoot. I also have CWM which I did by Odin when I rooted.

I have the .apk and .odex files, but if you have better way I am all for it.

Thanks for the help.
    Here you go.

Galaxy Tab Email (Flash in CWM v2.x.x.x)
    Paul

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do I rename it update.zip? Do I have to remove any files, or simply flash from CWM over the existing install? Sorry all the questions, and thanks a million for your help.

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

in clock work you can install any zip, just go down to where it says install zip from sd card. i would remove the old email apk to not have any conflicts, but thats just me...

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Do I rename it update.zip? Do I have to remove any files, or simply flash from CWM over the existing install? Sorry all the questions, and thanks a million for your help.
    Just leave the file as is, go into CWM

Install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>Galaxy Tab Email_CWM2.zip

That is it. The flash/zip will overwrite your existing Email.apk, no need to manually delete it.
    Paul

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thank you.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ha, I actually had 3.0.0.5 CWM installed, and in my haste It tried to convert everything to EXT4. Now I have to start over.

Ha, I actually had 3.0.0.5 CWM installed, and in my haste It tried to convert everything to EXT4. Now I have to start over.
    Here ya go.

Galaxy Tab Email (Flash in CWM v3.x.x.x)

We aim to please!
    Paul

Thanked by:
    Robcy 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

thanks

I updated to 2.2 by first odin then installed the clockwork mod and ext 4 then the rom can i also install that zip and not have any issues. Also was it resized for the epic or is it still set for the galaxy tab size? TIA
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by masetas View Post
    I updated to 2.2 by first odin then installed the clockwork mod and ext 4 then the rom can i also install that zip and not have any issues. Also was it resized for the epic or is it still set for the galaxy tab size? TIA
    I used it on my friends Fascinate (running the leaked Froyo), and it is correctly sized. I was not however able to get it to work on my Epic (Froyo DK28 rooted). It simply FC when its opened. I know its included into the Quantum ROM correctly sized, but that ROM has bluetooth issues on my phone. The file provided by Paul627g is easy to install. Good luck, and let me know it works for you, and what ROM you are using.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRom 3.03

Is it just me, or does this app not support push/IMAP Idle? Even with Gmail set up using IMAP, the emails don't come until refreshed or it checks for new mail, and there is no option for "as items arrive."

What's the deal with that? Very disappointing, unless I'm missing something.