running processes that consume battery as they relate to ROM choice

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Initially I discovered before switching to custom ROMs that there were some running processes that consumed battery, persistently reloaded, and were things I was not actively using. If I recall correctly they mainly were widgets that I guess could be considered bloatware widgets. Using the two custom ROMs these particular ones no longer are/were an issue. However other things have become an issue that previous were never running processes unless I opened the app myself. Firefox, readitlater, rate places (always loads), and sometimes, video player, music player, google books show up and reload after killing.

The frequency in which these show up vary but they always show as running processes even if they are never opened. And obviously there is no reason for them to be running and no benefit since they are consuming battery. I don't think I had an issue with all of these on syndicate ROM but there were a couple that were the same way but if they consumed battery it was not as significant. The stock ROM was the worse with needless running processes and I'm currently using ACE 2.0 ROM. I like the lock screen and even if it is not possible to take that with me going to another ROM I'm probably going to switch back to syndicate and hope that this problem doesn't carry over. I got 48 hours out of full charge on syndicate.

With the out of the box ROM I got 16 hours out of a full charge before doing anything to improve battery life. I gained an extra about 4 hours by using juicedefender free version and 4 more hours by killing all those processes that were needlessly persistent in running. Maintaining those practices with the upgrade to EC05 got me a tiny bit more maybe 2-3 hours. Then switching to syndicate ROM and maintaining the previous practices I then got 36 hours and finally the 48 hours by going to juicedefender ultimate in combination with other minor tweaks to save a little here and there. Getting only 24 hours out of a full charge on ACE 2.0 while having all of these power savings methods in practice is going backwards. And I'm confident that it is all this stuff that is persistently running that is causing the loss. Is it possible to simply keep anything other than what is absolutely necessary from ever running except when I open the app to be used? I'm also curious; why do some of these things persistently run on the stock ROM and on ACE ROM but were not on syndicate ROM?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to simply keep anything other than what is absolutely necessary from ever running except when I open the app to be used?

To prevent apps from starting up upon booting, I use "Startup Manager" from the Market. If you want to end a process after you finish using an app, you need a task killer (just don't set it to auto kill).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I see I thought that's what I had in android assistant but perhaps it's task feature isn't handling what needs to be done to keep the stuff from loading. Or I'm not using it correctly. The stuff set to kill on startup does that mean just device boot time or any time the process tries to start?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Startup Manager doesn't kill after startup, it takes that process off the list of things that start when you boot - so it never starts in the first place.

Reactions: StoneRyno

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll give adding things to startup manager a try and see if perhaps them not launching in the first place keeps them from reloading constantly. I'm still trying to understand why and how some things work so I was getting frustrated when I had things under control and then lost all control again.

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Android Assistant as my task killer, but I dont kill things often. I mainly use it if Im about to set the phone down a while and want any extra open stuff closed.

I tried Startup Manager, but I had alot of issues with processes still starting later, etc. Personally, I paid 99 cents and bought Bloat Freezer from the Market. It completely prevents a process from running, and if you have problems, you can immediately unfreeze the process. Its how ive determined what I can and cant disable..

JMusic

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I find the best way to keep those random background processes controlled is learning about "minfree". A simple settings change will keep that stuff from loading at all, without the battery drain of killing it and having it restart (much higher drain than simply letting it run).

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded an app called Auto Killer by AndRS Studio. It has the ability to change those values and I just started experimenting with it. Also downloaded Autorun Manager by the same developer. It has an advanced mode that allows you to mess with app receivers.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Stoneryno,
This is to answer your first question - why does Syndicate run more efficiently than the stock or Ace?
Stock has everything - most of which needs to go which is why this discussion shows different methods and apps being used to control this.

Roms are built specifically to address many of these issues - some are extremely stripped down to provide the most memory possible, some keep most or all stock items with minor tweaks/themes, some have options of stripped, or partially loaded, and on and on.

I have tried many, and it depends on your expertise, if you can download and add to customize what you want to use. If so, the most stripped roms are Midnight 5.1 and Syndicate in my opinion. Both have removed hidden items, programs, that run and suck battery, so both are made to run leaner, use less memory, and extend battery life with full custization. And then Syndicate has overclocked and underclocked kernels to help battery too.

This is why its fun to flash to try different ones and see what best suits your needs, but read, then read again, to see the differences, and always make a backup!!!!

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like with some experimentation I'll be able to get these tasks from starting. For example the firefox thing loading up. Using autorun killer it appears Connectivity Receiver keeps trigger due to the fact that juicedefender toggles off data to save battery and toggles it back on every so often to allow syncing etc. Which meant every time the on or off status changed the firefox thing loaded. Disabling the receiver stops this from happening. Read it later also has one for connectivity so I imagine that too will stop it from loading up as a result.

fab5valentine

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.. Same sort of issue..

I?m using a launcher that allows be to have in the app dwr a list of currently running apps. There seemed to be a lot of apps running in the back ground, things I did not open or were not related to widgets I had running. I also use of a task manager that shows all running apps and memory availability.. After killing these open apps they persistently keep opening up. Even ?hotspot?, ?Places? and many more that I never even use. So I went and put on startup manager, and specified the items I wanted open upon startup and it did, but then continued on to open whatever it wanted to as well. I understand apps that support widgets that are running, or even apps that need to sinc up from time to time. However, apps just keep turning on and in a seemingly random way. Since the person who started this thread was running ACE, but had got this under control on ACS.. I?m curious if this is someway related to the ACE Rom? If I could whoop this problem my battery would surely increase. Upon killing the background tasks, and then 10 minute of idle time, I might get 20 apps pop-up as running.. Any advice would be helpful.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
ACE ROM took care of some stuff, basically the bloatware that wasn't a part of the ROM. I'm pretty sure syndicate ROM a few more things weren't persistently loading. Anyways, originally I was using android assistant as a startup manager and task killer. However it became clear to me that it was insufficient in dealing with persistent tasks such as the ones I mentioned in starting the thread. On ragnarokx suggestion of using startup manager app I hit the market for more detail and how I discovered the apps I posted in post #9. I'm working on figuring out the receivers for apps since it appears they are responsible for some or perhaps all of these undesired processes loading up when not actively being used. The autorun app wants users to make a donation to be able to disable more than two receivers so I am debating on donating or seeing if there are other apps that are just as good or better at doing what this one can do before going ahead and donating. I'm leery of paying for an app in such a way. I want to be sure that I won't get wronged and have to pay again at some point. But anyways because I'm basically learning on the fly what the receivers do so I can identify the ones that keep launching the undesired processes I can't help you directly other than recommending looking into the same to cut down or eliminate the undesired persistent processes.

Reactions: fab5valentine