Rooting n00b question

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
noob here to to android. Waiting on my sd card before rooting next week. Do you not loose everything when you actually root using Odin? Or is it just when flashing a rom?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Just when flashing a ROM because you have to do a factory wipe and wipe all the Caches. (To my understanding)

To an extent. You can always restore back ups of apps via my back up root or tb plus there is always the advanced restore of a nandroid back up. Also of note, if you are using odin to flash a stock you will lose data but a lot of the odin tars now do not over write data.

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
here is a question for a root noob to android. i rooted last night and installed a new + kernel. everything went fine have titanium up and running. my question is if i want to change kernels do i just flash over the one i just installed?
thanks

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
here is a question for a root noob to android. i rooted last night and installed a new + kernel. everything went fine have titanium up and running. my question is if i want to change kernels do i just flash over the one i just installed?
thanks

Yep. Just flash over it. Often times you'll keep pieces of your previous flash, such as CWM and SU depending on what's packaged with the new kernel.

Here's an example ... so say your currently using the LoStKernel, and you want to keep it, but you want to get rid of the yellow triangle on a fresh boot. You would flash Bubby323's stock kernel, go through the steps to remove the triangle, then re-flash the LoStKernel. The end result should be LoStKernel with no boot triangle with the same root and CWM.

Reactions: graffix31

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Just flash over it. Often times you'll keep pieces of your previous flash, such as CWM and SU depending on what's packaged with the new kernel.

Here's an example ... so say your currently using the LoStKernel, and you want to keep it, but you want to get rid of the yellow triangle on a fresh boot. You would flash Bubby323's stock kernel, go through the steps to remove the triangle, then re-flash the LoStKernel. The end result should be LoStKernel with no boot triangle with the same root and CWM.

Good advice, I HATE that triangle! What does it mean anyway; I always thought it was trying to signal some issue with my phone. Any more specifics?

Quasi-Edit:

Luckily, before hitting "submit", I decided to do my own research and not be lazy for once... :cool:

Yellow Triangle Explanation from XDA

"The triangle means you have flashed a custom rom,kernel or whatever. This wasn't on the sgs. It is new to the sgs2. Only way to get rid of it is to be stock, which you can't yet, or use a usb jig. Not aware of any other options at the moment."

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
ok 1 more question with flashing roms. I have a titanium back-up as well as full cwm backup. Now if I want to flash a Rom I know I need to wipe everything. I'm pretty sure I know I don't clockwork restore, but do I titanium back up? What do I get back? Kind of the last piece of the puzzle for me. Then when updating roms do I full wipe and tb again? I would cwm like after I had a new Rom up and running like I want right? That way if something messes up I can restore to a good state, right? Thanks for some clarifications :)

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ok 1 more question with flashing roms. I have a titanium back-up as well as full cwm backup. Now if I want to flash a Rom I know I need to wipe everything. I'm pretty sure I know I don't clockwork restore, but do I titanium back up? What do I get back? Kind of the last piece of the puzzle for me. Then when updating roms do I full wipe and tb again? I would cwm like after I had a new Rom up and running like I want right? That way if something messes up I can restore to a good state, right? Thanks for some clarifications :)

Well with Titanium what you back up from my experience, is any Data/App's you have :).
So when you Flash a new Rom, you can Restore the app's you had previously, without having to redownloading them, and usually, also the Settings/Data of this App's.

Now it has been told continously specially by Paul( back in the Epic4G days ), that if you're wanting to restore the settings, be careful because Some roms have the locations changed or removed, and when is added, it might give your rom alot of FC's, Though you can always reflash the backup you did and try again ;)! haha, is fun! you'll feel that you're a techy!

Reactions: graffix31

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

So much for 1 more question... :p

I use titanium to do my backups... it will restore your data, your apps, or both. It allows you to choose which aspect of your data to restore, which apps to restore, and will allow you to pick and choose which ones you want to delete in order to not have them carry over to your new ROM instance. It's actually very cool. In the past, I just had titanium restore everything at once (apps + data), but now I find myself picking and choosing what it restores in order to keep some of the bloatware (Sprint NASCAR, drm, Samsung media stuff) off my phone...