Superuser has been denied Superuser permissions

chaseychasem

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've lost Superuser permissions for all of my applications, including Superuser itself. Superuser currently shows v3.0.7 (41) with Su binary v3.0, but I can't update the latter (I receive the error message in the thread title). Clearing application data for Superuser changes nothing, nor does SU Update Fixer, nor does setting permissions to Allow.

Root had been working fine until recently, but to tell you the truth I haven't used Titanium Backup (etc.) for anything in a while, so there's no telling when the problems began. I would assume this is associated with an Android update.

Model number SPH-D710
Android version 2.3.6
Baseband version S710.10 S.EK02
Kernel version 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EK02-CL704398
Build number GINGERBREAD.EK02
Hardware version D710.10

Any tips? I haven't found a satisfactory corrective anywhere online so far. Thanks for your help!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey, wonderful! It looks like I was switched from EG30 to EK02. Thanks! Should I simply ignore Android updates in the future?
Personally I would. Better to get an update after folks here have looked it over and fixed any issues.

There's another update from EK02 to EL29 which you may end up getting chosen to receive in the next few days.

chaseychasem

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, really appreciate your help. Is it possible that Superuser will smooth itself out automatically in a future software update, and I should simply wait? I'm something of a newbie in this area and wasn't aware that EG30/EK02/EL29 etc. refer to the OS version—or is that in fact the kernel, and what happened was that my phone received an unrooted kernel with the OS update in place of the rooted EG30 version?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The OTA update consists of Modem, Kernel, and ROM.

The root is usually installed in the ROM (though it can be installed in the kernel also).

What OTA updates do is patch a bunch of files and also reset the permissions on files.

Since su is installed in the ROM, the special permissions it was given when you rooted get reset. What you see in the app drawer (Superuser) is actually just a database of which apps are allowed root permissions. The actually program that gives root permissions is the aforementioned "su" program.

That is why you still see Superuser in the app drawer, but none of your apps can get root permission (the su program had its permissions reset)

So if you received an OTA update, it updated all three, but the critical portion was when updating the ROM, it reset the permissions on the "su" program.

brain_72

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
i am very new, i have the same problem, in motorola photon, i update the superuser app and i lost the superuser permissions "Superuser has been denied Superuser permissions", i need help, its my first day with android, the question is which tutorial works for me? the same? i don't think so, i see few information about root in photon, help.

Claudio Garcia

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem. after an update received on my Nexus S, I lost superuser permissions of superuser.
Please, any suggestion is welcome.

Cheers,

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem. after an update received on my Nexus S, I lost superuser permissions of superuser.
Please, any suggestion is welcome.

Cheers,

Never take an update unless you are willing to lose root. I am not exactly sure which method you would use for your phone. As this isn't the nexus s. But you need to check your phones forum either here or xda-developers.com to figure out how to root it with your new update. All you have is an app. In fact if you download root checker it will tell you that you aren't rooted

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G