[Kernel][ICS][June 24, 2012] DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel [FE-FF+]

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Im new to android but not Linux. I wanted to share an ICS Kernel called "DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel". Its very stable and it will work with ALL ICS FE-FF Series Samsung Leaks. There has been very very little development on the kernel side of things for the Epic Touch 4G I want to change that.

[ DISCLAIMER WARNING ]: FLASH THIS KERNEL AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF NORTH KOREA STARTS WWIII CAUSE YOU FLASHED MY KERNEL I AM NOT RESPONIBLE. PLAYING AROUND IN NON-USER SPACE IS DANGEROUS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

What is DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel???
Based On Samsung FE22 (Thanks to Sfhub) (Most Stable Kernel To Date)
ro.secure=0 (Unlocked & Rooted)
ADB Remount Access
init.d fully supported
Bootanimation.zip Support
USB Mass Storage Set To Default
Clockworkmod Recovery Built in (Thanks Koush and Team Rogue)
Very Minor RAM Disk Tweaks
Move Apps to SD (Fully Working)
Better Then Stock Battery Life

[ Download Link for DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel ]:DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel Download Here

Directions to Install:
1.) Download DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel
2.) Boot into Recovery
3.) Flash DK_Liquid_Ice_Kernel
4.) Reboot Out Of Recovery
5.) Enjoy The New Kernel

Please hit my Thanks button if you enjoy my contribution :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this! You're right about the lack of kernel development, but I believe there are reasons for it.

Early on, chris41g was the main kernel developer for this phone. His first modified kernel was intended to reduce the frequency of the LOS bug, that was later fixed in the Samsung stock kernel (EK02). However, chris41g was doing this work without even having a E4GT at his disposal. Enter Team Rogue and Steady Hawkin, who began releasing a line of custom kernels along with their own custom spin on CWM. With Steady releasing kernel repacks regularly chris41g faded off, probably to work on other devices. However, I believe the ICS related EMMC lockup issue put Steady off, and he probably didn't want his kernels to be blamed for bricking phones. In fact, he bricked his own phone while testing his kernels. Not long after that he stopped releasing kernel+recovery repacks, probably for good reason. There was no point at the time.

Of course, we know what was causing the EMMC lockups now, but a hole was left in kernel development in the process. Thanks for stepping up and filling it!

Reactions: Dark_Knight2

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this! You're right about the lack of kernel development, but I believe there are reasons for it.

Early on, chris41g was the main kernel developer for this phone. His first modified kernel was intended to reduce the frequency of the LOS bug, that was later fixed in the Samsung stock kernel (EK02). However, chris41g was doing this work without even having a E4GT at his disposal. Enter Team Rogue and Steady Hawkin, who began releasing a line of custom kernels along with their own custom spin on CWM. With Steady releasing kernel repacks regularly chris41g faded off, probably to work on other devices. However, I believe the ICS related EMMC lockup issue put Steady off, and he probably didn't want his kernels to be blamed for bricking phones. In fact, he bricked his own phone while testing his kernels. Not long after that he stopped releasing kernel+recovery repacks, probably for good reason. There was no point at the time.

Of course, we know what was causing the EMMC lockups now, but a hole was left in kernel development in the process. Thanks for stepping up and filling it!

Not a problem. The bricking issue was caused by a command line in the update-binary on ICS "Wipe.c" when wipe.c and format /data were combined while using an ics recovery that was the issue. It would corrupt the data partition to the point of no recovery.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

jamexman

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. The bricking issue was caused by a command line in the update-binary on ICS "Wipe.c" when wipe.c and format /data were combined while using an ics recovery that was the issue. It would corrupt the data partition to the point of no recovery.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

So the cwm recovery you're including is the one with the "Fix" for that? (if yes, its the same included in you ff18 rom right?)

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So the cwm recovery you're including is the one with the "Fix" for that? (if yes, its the same included in you ff18 rom right?)

No. The recovery is NOT the issue. The emmc lockup is caused by two things happening at once. One is wiping data inside the updater-script and using an update-binary with the command line "wipe.c". The ICS Kernel is basically the cuprit.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Reactions: jamexman

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
DarkKnight... This kernel is it for TW based ics roms or can it be used for non TW roms like CM9???

Sent From My Galaxy10. 1 Class Starship...

jamexman

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No. The recovery is NOT the issue. The emmc lockup is caused by two things happening at once. One is wiping data inside the updater-script and using an update-binary with the command line "wipe.c". The ICS Kernel is basically the cuprit.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Thanks! I read a little bit more. Samsung is aware and working on a fix, so that's nice.

Another question. I did my research, but still just want to be sure (I had HTC phones for a long time so their rooting-flashing process its a little bit different). In order to flash your roms/kernel this is what I have to do:

1- Do this first (on top of the stock rom, whatever version my phone comes with (im just getting an epic instead of the evo 3d, sprint/asurion run out of the 3d's) :

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858 (FF18 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

2- Then this (to have cwm): [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers
basically just the step "D" (the guy from step 1 says we can do that if we want to have cwm recovery)

3- Then boot to cwm recovery and just flash your nice : http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...june-30-2012-dk_liquid_ice_v1-1-1_stable.html

Which includes already your kernel right?

Thanks for your help, can't wait to try your rom! (are you on XDA too?)

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I read a little bit more. Samsung is aware and working on a fix, so that's nice.

Another question. I did my research, but still just want to be sure (I had HTC phones for a long time so their rooting-flashing process its a little bit different). In order to flash your roms/kernel this is what I have to do:

1- Do this first (on top of the stock rom, whatever version my phone comes with (im just getting an epic instead of the evo 3d, sprint/asurion run out of the 3d's) :

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FF18_CL663858 (FF18 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

2- Then this (to have cwm): [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers
basically just the step "D" (the guy from step 1 says we can do that if we want to have cwm recovery)

3- Then boot to cwm recovery and just flash your nice : http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...june-30-2012-dk_liquid_ice_v1-1-1_stable.html

Which includes already your kernel right?

Thanks for your help, can't wait to try your rom! (are you on XDA too?)

Heck no im not on xda. Way to many developers fighting over there. Plus the ET4G is overflowing with ROMs. Im staying right here and sdx developers. I want people to enjoy my stuff. On android central i dont have to fight for space or anything. I just do my thing :):beer:

Sent From A Rotary Phone

jamexman

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Heck no im not on xda. Way to many developers fighting over there. Plus the ET4G is overflowing with ROMs. Im staying right here and sdx developers. I want people to enjoy my stuff. On android central i dont have to fight for space or anything. I just do my thing :):beer:

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Oh, I know. A lot of drama there, specially on the Evo 3D forums lol. Where I used to be a regular. I've heard tons of good things about the epic 4 g touch, so I can't wait to get it this Tuesday. First thing I'm gonna do to it is root it and install your ROM!!

So do you think the steps I posted that I'm gonna follow look good??

Thanks!!

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I know. A lot of drama there, specially on the Evo 3D forums lol. Where I used to be a regular. I've heard tons of good things about the epic 4 g touch, so I can't wait to get it this Tuesday. First thing I'm gonna do to it is root it and install your ROM!!

So do you think the steps I posted that I'm gonna follow look good??

Thanks!!

Oh ya the Htc users are a bunch of whiney kids. Samsung users tend to be a bit more professional. And yes those steps about cover it. Samsung is awesome. Very root friendly.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Reactions: jamexman

jamexman

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya the Htc users are a bunch of whiney kids. Samsung users tend to be a bit more professional. And yes those steps about cover it. Samsung is awesome. Very root friendly.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Thanks a lot! I won't clutter your kernel thread anymore, since I'm going to be installing your ROM I'll probably continue the talk on your ROM's thread.

Thanks again!!

Reactions: Dark_Knight2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana