Sending MMS with Facebook messenger?

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I've turned on the settings under SMS/MMS to use Facebook messenger as the main testing app, but when I create a message for someone I don't see any option to attach a picture to send as MMS? In the default app there's a little paperclip icon that lets you attach multimedia but it's not present in facebook messenger. Am I missing something?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the app and looked all around, and didn't see the option either. There are reviews on Google Play asking for them to add MMS send support, so I'm guessing it isn't just you or me. The app doesn't seem to support sending MMS at this point in time.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
There's a "+" next to your text input. Selecting that will give you more options including take a picture, select a photo or send emoticons.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
There's a "+" next to your text input. Selecting that will give you more options including take a picture, select a photo or send emoticons.

That's only if you're sending Facebook to Facebook messages not MMS. If you are sending a message to an actual mobile number you don't get any attachment options (only emoji)

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I tested by sending MMS to another phone using fb messenger before I posted. I'm pretty sure it works. Are you sending to a number that you're inputting manually or an existing contact with a phone number? I did the latter and had no issues.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That's only if you're sending Facebook to Facebook messages not MMS. If you are sending a message to an actual mobile number you don't get any attachment options (only emoji)

Same experience here. That option just offers emoji.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

I can send MMS with that option.

Tested on a Verizon GS3 and Stratosphere II.

Attachments

• 2013-04-21 09.09.02.png
    2013-04-21 09.09.02.png
    95 KB · Views: 24

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing the same option, tested and was able to send MMS to someone with out a fb account. No problem here, seems as if all features are working for me.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I tested by sending MMS to another phone using fb messenger before I posted. I'm pretty sure it works. Are you sending to a number that you're inputting manually or an existing contact with a phone number? I did the latter and had no issues.

OK this is bizarre. I have to actually TYPE IN the phone number of the person and then when I press the + symbol I get the option to include photos. If I just pick the person from my list of contacts I can only send emoji.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
OK this is bizarre. I have to actually TYPE IN the phone number of the person and then when I press the + symbol I get the option to include photos. If I just pick the person from my list of contacts I can only send emoji.

Which phone ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kenboldt

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I get the exact same thing as mzanette.

If I type in the bare phone number, then I get the options for sending an mms. If I select a person from my contacts list, then I just get emoji.

Using a Samsung Galaxy S4

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4, same issue is still occurring. Guess I'll delete the app yet again and check back in a month or so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Joshua Tsonos

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Select New message.
Click the plus sign and add new photo
**After** you have added the photo then enter the name or number in the "to" field.
Send the message.

NOTE: this does not create a new conversation even though you have to select new message. This just adds to whatever conversation you were having with that name or number previously.

ManiacalMF

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm also getting this issue. I had this installed on my Droid RAZR, MMS options showed up fine. Just got a Moto X, and now when I press the '+' button, all I get are emoji's. No option to choose photo. Not even the chat head will pop up if it's a pic message. Only after I open the conversation in the app, it shows that a picture was sent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38