Phone Rooted but lost Super user

rich.x87

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, the thing is this:

When i got my phone it came with some HTC Sense tuned for Bell Canada (lots of bloatware), so I rooted it and flashed the stock ROM released from HTC for the HTC Desire Z to get rid of all the bloatware.

Since it was the stock ROM, the update that HTC pushed in the last months was installed, so I lost the super user app. Anyway, I wanted to flash a new ROM and found my self in serious troubles because the super user was lost. In any case, using adb tools, y rebooted into boot loader, finding my self with Hboot and S-OFF. Does that mean that my phone is rooted, but I dont have the Super User acces?

If this is so, then I could flash a new ROM from hBoot right?

Thanks.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you flashed a non rooted ROM and that's why you lost SU permissions. If you still have S-off then you are still rooted. Once you get into Hboot (assuming you have flashed recovery) you should be able to access recovery and flash any ROM from there.

Reactions: rich.x87

rich.x87

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
In the end, I had serious troubles with the un-rootable ROM. Lucky enough, I had S-OFF, otherwise it would had been a pain in the arse root the thing, cause I had to downgrade the firmware with a goldencard, which i can?t make cause I only have Mac computers at home.

I downloaded Visionary, Perm rooted and flashed Sense 3.0 ROM from ROM Manager. I'm loving the new sense interation, handled well by my HTC DZ.

Thanks for the help!