Android MP3 Player to Compete With the iPod Touch

Jim1348

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have tried searching, but I can't seem to find anything on this, I am wondering if there has ever been any discussion of an Android device to compete with the iPod Touch? We have three iPod Touches in my family now. Both my two sons and my wife each have one. I have not bought one yet, but I was thinking that with the popularity of the Android operating system and the popularity of the iPod Touch, there may be some room for competition.

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
The archos 5 looks pretty cool. I don't remember what android version it runs, but there is a 8 and 16GB model, then a 160, 320GB version internet tablet. I think it has a 5" screen or something like that. I played with it the other day at Best buy and it looked pretty cool.

Mughato

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I looked at Archos as well. Old version of Android on inferior hardware, not for me.

There are a few out for overseas markets [Viliv P3 Prime is the latest announcement] but not available in US market.

Sounds to me like the only available option is a droid smartphone for the US, like EVO, Incredible [god knows when] or Shadow [when released].

Last edited:

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my original 16 GB iPod Touch with an Android device but so far I don't think there's one out that would rival the Touch.

Been using my BB Torch for podcasts but I would like a dedicated media device in the car. The Touch works fine but I hate using it for email when it's plugged into the aux jack. That's why I like my Touch because I can use my BB without a cord.

Anyway I would love to use something like the Droid X (Wife's phone) as my media device but don't need voice or 3G data, just WiFi.

I love the WiFi syncing of my BB to iTunes and would like the Android device to do basically the same thing.

Seems Apple might announce the new Touch's on Sep. 1 but I really don't want to invest in another Apple product.

I would be cool to be able to buy a small(er) form-factor Android tablet.

Nelson76

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have had a ipod touch, a iphone, a blackberry, samsung mp3 players, and a archos. I sold all of them and went for a Xperia X10(NEEDS 2.1/2.2 UPDATE NOW SONY!!! U B@STARDS!)...anyways...I went for the Xperia X10 and a Zune HD. Nothing I have found EVER beats the Zune HD as a music player. Only thing lacking is the odd absence of a custom equalizer. Otherwise it is one of the best MP3 players to date that I have ever found. The games on it are wicked, the music sounds awesome, addition of a nvidia tegra core makes it snappy. I live in Vancouver B.C. and I also have never seen anyone with one here. I feel very unique :p, Main reason is because the Zune HD isn't sold here and it seems like everywhere down in the states is ipod/iphone country. It is very hard to find a Zune HD but when you do find one...get it, you won't regret it.

Forgot to mention 720p HD video output via HDMI and fiber optic.

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
me too

I am looking for something as well. My daughter loves my phone so I want to get her something that is not a phone, but will play mp3s and angry birds. :) Sheesh - why isn't there anything yet?? :mad:

bleedblue

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, definitely would buy a legit Android MP3 player that could go toe to toe with the touch. As it looks, might just take my old Evo and try to make it a dedicated MP3 player while using it around the house. Maybe once the Evo 2 drops. ;)

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
why not just buy an used android phone and not activate it. I use my Droid 1 as a WiFi only device all the time, and with all the developer support, i even have Gingerbread on it already.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
why not just buy an used android phone and not activate it. I use my Droid 1 as a WiFi only device all the time, and with all the developer support, i even have Gingerbread on it already.

Because an off-contract Android phone is probably over $500.

It would be easier to buy a Nook Color for $250 and put Honeycomb on it.

There is hope it seems. Samsung launched the Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 and the Galaxy S WiFi 5.0s
Samsung's 4-Inch and 5-Inch iPod Killers: Hands On | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

0,1425,sz=1&i=248982,00.jpg

Monsoon

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I hope the Galaxy S WiFi 4 is released in the US. I can't justify the data charges for a smartphone, but I need something to replace my aging Palm PDA.

dinod

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Because an off-contract Android phone is probably over $500.

It would be easier to buy a Nook Color for $250 and put Honeycomb on it.

There is hope it seems. Samsung launched the Galaxy S WiFi 4.0 and the Galaxy S WiFi 5.0s

You simply go to eBay and get a Nexus One for $200~$250, it would always get updates ... unlike the Samsungs.

As for the rooting the Nook - if all I want is an iPod Touch, I don't think I want to root. I simply want a good stable device, not a tweaked machine.

Great question from the OP, I've been looking into this as well - no great answer yet. Archos would be a solution if their customer reviews on build quality would be better.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
You simply go to eBay and get a Nexus One for $200~$250, it would always get updates ... unlike the Samsungs.

As for the rooting the Nook - if all I want is an iPod Touch, I don't think I want to root. I simply want a good stable device, not a tweaked machine.

Great question from the OP, I've been looking into this as well - no great answer yet. Archos would be a solution if their customer reviews on build quality would be better.

"rooting" a device in no way makes it less stable.

Putting a custom ROM on something could but it's doubtful.

dinod

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
"rooting" a device in no way makes it less stable.

Putting a custom ROM on something could but it's doubtful.

What I guess I mean to say is that I would doubt my abilities in messing with firmware & that as long as it has 2.2 it's more than I would need -access to Market, a multi-format movie player, a multi-format music player, ability to skype (or other voip) in a pinch.

I have a 2g Touch, it works great - but to add a movie you have to snyc not simply add - it blows.

netposer

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
What I guess I mean to say is that I would doubt my abilities in messing with firmware & that as long as it has 2.2 it's more than I would need -access to Market, a multi-format movie player, a multi-format music player, ability to skype (or other voip) in a pinch.

I have a 2g Touch, it works great - but to add a movie you have to snyc not simply add - it blows.

Most of the "rooting" procedures are very simple. There are one-click root apps out there and they are also one-click un-root too.

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
So a Nexus One or other Android phone would power up and work OK without a SIM card on Wi-Fi - just no calls?

yep, you can even skip adding a google account if you want to. Works great as a wifi or stand alone device. Forget that it's a phone and think of it as a touch screen computer that happens to be able to make phone calls.

Reactions: Monsoon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87