Pixel 8 Pro screen occassionally becomes completely unresponsive to touch (video)

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Another extremely annoying bug I'm getting with the Pixel 8 Pro - occasionally (say once every two or three days), the phone becomes completely non-responsive to touch.

I've managed to record a video of the issue this time - the phone is able to unlock because it's using face unlock (hence why I have to lift it up to unlock it), but the screen won't respond to touch at all, despite me frantically swiping and tapping on it. It freezes like this for about 30 seconds to 3 minutes before it'll start responding to touch responses again. On Monday, I had phone call coming through can I literally could not answer the call because the screen was frozen and wouldn't respond to my touch.

So extremely frustrated with the phone. Anyone have this issue and know of a fix? I'm guessing if I go to Google I'll get the usual 'update apps, update software, clear cache and finally, do a factory reset. Oh it didn't fix it? Ok we'll escalate this to our level 2 technicians' and I'll never hear from them again.

I just don't get why there are so many issues with these phones.
I have experienced a slightly similar issue. The major difference is that when I press the power button to turn of the screen and press it again to turn it off, the issue is resolved.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There isn't. It seems you get them all for whatever reason. We just need to have a forum just for you. I've never in my life seen someone with so many issues.

So on a serious note, have you gone into safe mode and seen if any of these issues still persist?
I have been going back and forth with this dude since the early days. I have never seen a more miserable phone owner. Every release he is bagging on the phone, buys it anyway (allegedly), then complains the entire cycle.

In this case, I get this problem, but only when using Nova Launcher. It's REALLY annoying. If the base launcher let me change the icon colors I would uninstall Nova.

Reactions: bkeaver

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been going back and forth with this dude since the early days. I have never seen a more miserable phone owner. Every release he is bagging on the phone, buys it anyway (allegedly), then complains the entire cycle.

In this case, I get this problem, but only when using Nova Launcher. It's REALLY annoying. If the base launcher let me change the icon colors I would uninstall Nova.
I haven't had any issues with Nova Launcher at all. I guess some people are more prone to issues. I've had users that have had to wear grounding leads when sitting at workstations because they carry too much static and have been taking out keyboards and in some cases computers. Maybe that along the same lines with him idk

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs and rvbfan

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with Nova Launcher at all. I guess some people are more prone to issues. I've had users that have had to wear grounding leads when sitting at workstations because they carry too much static and have been taking out keyboards and in some cases computers. Maybe that along the same lines with him idk
I'm not using Nova launcher though. Just had the default Pixel launcher on it and the phone would just randomly freeze.

I've stopped using the Pixel 8 Pro for now. Just too many issues. I'll jump back on when the December update lands with video boost and the other features it's supposed to come with. Might factory reset it before then.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using Nova launcher though. Just had the default Pixel launcher on it and the phone would just randomly freeze.

I've stopped using the Pixel 8 Pro for now. Just too many issues. I'll jump back on when the December update lands with video boost and the other features it's supposed to come with. Might factory reset it before then.
The nova launcher comment wasn't directed at you, it was for the one I quoted. As for the pixel 8 pro, you are the only one I know that has that many issues. Everyone I know with one doesn't have your issues, so I wouldn't hold my breath that an update will fix your issues as it isn't the phone in general.

Reactions: Ben_70

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The nova launcher comment wasn't directed at you, it was for the one I quoted. As for the pixel 8 pro, you are the only one I know that has that many issues. Everyone I know with one doesn't have your issues, so I wouldn't hold my breath that an update will fix your issues as it isn't the phone in general.
There are people in this thread who have reported the same issue happening to them, so I'm not the only one who is having them.

Reactions: kenorian

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There are people in this thread who have reported the same issue happening to them, so I'm not the only one who is having them.
Anyway you aren't using the phone, so why not enroll into beta and see if your issues are resolved? That way you know if the December update will fix the issue you are having or not, instead of waiting.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Strange enough, no issues since I sideloaded the December update. I did not side load the Verizon version because it was never posted, I just have the worldwide version.

Reactions: Bkdodger1

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it stop responding right after taking pictures or video?

I have had issues with Google photos backing up video or pictures (says it is in the background) but it locks the phone up until it is done.

I have had this on every version of pixel.

There is a setting somewhere to only back up whilon wifi, seems to solve it.

Reactions: I Can Be Your Hero

dumb_beard

Dec 23, 2023
Visit site
Yeah I've had this same issue on my pixel 8 pro. It's random. Or it'll do double false touches for a while. Also I have the wifi and cell connections drop and reconnect randomly. I took it in at ubreakifix twice, once to have them flash the factory image (which I had already tried) and then I had them replace the logic board. Now I've had the entire phone RMA exchanged for with an identical replacement from google and the issues still persist.

I'm glad I'm not alone with the weird screen thing.

After the issues with the 7 pro, I'm not going to suffer this any longer. I'll probably do a trade in as soon as Samsung or someone else decent accepts the 8 series for it.

Reactions: I Can Be Your Hero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter