Safe to change recovery?

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm just wondering if it's considered safe to change the recovery (in my case from AmonRa to CWM) through ROM Manager? I currently have AmonRa 2.0.1 since PVT4 Bravos won't root with CWM 2.5.0.7, but can I simply switch to CWM now that it's rooted? Maybe one of the newer versions (3+)?

Or is there a special way to change recoveries?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I would think you could, but don't quote me on that one ;)

I run PVT3, so I didn't have to deal with that issue. Currently 2.5.0.7, but in my case, it seems I can go no higher than the current version. Flash Updates keep it the same. So I suspect that you're limited to the CW version for the Desire.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that you would have to do everything all over again, so of course all backups should be in order.

Last edited:

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Lucky you. :p Mine was a PVT1 (bought it on release day) but I got the infamous reboot problem and they replaced the mainboard with a PVT4.

Yeah, I could probably just flash it back from fastboot if it hits the fan. Might look into it a bit more and give it a shot.

More opinions are welcome!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just reflashed through RM looking for an update, and download the file, but it didn;t flash.

Flashed it from recovery (2.3sec) and version remains the same. So Desire seems to be limited to 2.5.0.7.

Newer versions, seem to be built for newer devices.

Suggest you pull battery from smoke alarms before trying a manual flash on a higher version ;)

Last edited:

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I flashed 2.5.0.7 from ROM Manager, but after rebooting into recovery it's still running Ra 2.0.1. :D Weird. Can't seem to figure out how to flash Clockwork 3.0.0.5 from fastboot either, how do you go about that on an S-ON phone?

EDIT: And ROM Manager really seems to think that it's running on top of CWM - I have access to all the submenus in ROM Manager. XD This is so weird. Might just run an RUU and re-root with CWM 3.0.0.5 from the start.

Last edited: