Contact list being flooded with Google+ contacts

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
My Contacts are taking up >30MB. When I view my contacts I see the people I expect to see (a couple hundred at most). But when I go to add a contact from the Call Log and I specify "add to existing contact" I get a massive list that appears to be everyone from my Google circles (probably a few thousand).

I tried clearing all data from the Google+ app, then doing same with my contacts in hopes it would rebuild without the Google+ contacts, but they are still there...and the space used is still >30MB.

Can anyone provide an overview of how Android populates the Contacts database, and how I can limit it to JUST my actual contacts?

Thanks,
Chris

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I don't see that option. There are 4 sections in Google+ settings:

1 Google+ Notifications
2 Messenger notifications
3 Photo settings
4 About

I don't see anything about contacts under any of those sections.

I am running Gingerbread and Google+ version 2.3.1.242969

Chris

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
It should be above About, but i think i have it because im running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Try going into your Google account under Menu>Settings>Accounts and Sync. Is there an option there to uncheck?

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Sure. In Settings>Accounts&Sync I select my Google account and it lists a bunch of apps each with a checkbox:

- Sync Currents
- Sync Instant Upload
- Sync Google+
- Sync contacts
- Sync gmail
- Sync calendar

All are checked.

So just for grins I just unchecked Google+ and Contacts in Accounts&Sync, cleared all data for Google+ and for Contacts, and then rechecked Contacts in Accounts&Sync. I will let the contacts database rebuild. I suspect it will rebuild without the Google+ contacts, but wouldn't keeping Google+ unchecked prevent Google+ from operating correctly?

BTW thank you for your time on this, I have been banging my head on this one for a few weeks now and having someone else's perspective is helpful.

Chris

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
The contacts have rebuilt and it still uses over 30M of space, and it is still filled with hundreds, maybe thousands of Google+ contacts...even though i disabled Google+ sync and deleted all Google + data before I rebuilt the contacts database.

Any other thoughts? This is making my phone basically unusable, I have already moved everything I can to the SD card. This is nuts!

Chris

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you go to contacts.google.com, are all your Google plus contacts listed in with your normal contacts or do they show separately under "Circles" underneath "My Contacts"?

Edit: No problem, hopefully we can get it fixed. :)

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I've got 200 contacts under "My Contacts" - this I would expect to see. I also see 1,912 contacts in "My Circles" group, and 1,567 contacts in my "Other Contacts" group. Both of these groups seem to be coming from Google+.

Chris

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking that "other contacts" group is what is syncing with your phone and causing the large database size. Have you tried uninstalling Google+? Uninstall and rebuild your contacts database and it should just show your My Contacts list. When you reinstall Google+, it should prompt you if you want to sync with your existing phone contacts, all contacts, or dont sync contacts with google+. Select "dont sync contacts with Google+" and you should still hopefully only have your My Contacts list.

Can you tell what data is in your "Other Contacts" list? Are they just Google+ people?

Edit: Also, are they duplicates of your Circles? Are they safe to delete? Deleting them shouldnt affect your Circles on Google+, but make sure they are just duplicates of people in your circles before you delete.

Export your contacts to a VCF first in case you delete anyone you shouldnt have and you need to get them back.

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
When I reinstalled Google+ (after clearing my contacts database and starting the resync), it did not ask me anything about which contact lists to sync. It only asked about how I want to upload my pictures.

But I think you are correct, the problem is actually this mystery "other contacts" list in the cloud. I spot checked about 20 of them and they do not appear to be in any of my current circles. So I think I may just delete all those contacts (fingers crossed).

Chris

cdouble2

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
The saga continues. I have cleaned up my "other contacts" at contacts.google.com by either deleting them out moving to "my contacts." Now "my contacts" is empty. But I still have a couple thousand names in my android contacts file, I think because "my circles" is still propogating from the cloud to my phone. I cannot find any setting on google+ android app (either in settings or during a reinstall) that lets me exclude these from my android contacts file.

So I am still stuck with thousands of names of people I will never email or call in my contacts file. Any more ideas? Is google really going to force everyone to carry all their circled individuals in their android contacts file? I know they want to promote google +, but this would seem borderline behavior. I won't say evil, yet...

What am I missing?

Chris

Konrad Aderer

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Fumetsu, thanks for your promising reply -- I'd like to try this, but I don't know what you mean by "going into your Google account." Online on gmail, igoogle, Google+ or on the phone, and if so which app?
It should be above About, but i think i have it because im running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Try going into your Google account under Menu>Settings>Accounts and Sync. Is there an option there to uncheck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa